The Baths

ecat522

We are going to Tortola on our 10 day Eastern Caribbean cruise and we've never been there before. I keep hearing about the baths. I have no idea what they are....please tell me! Do they have good snorkeling there? Thanks!

We are going to Tortola on our 10 day Eastern Caribbean cruise and we've never been there before. I keep hearing about the baths. I have no idea what they are....please tell me! Do they have good snorkeling there? Thanks!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=697803

The above thread is the one I looked at in deciding how to go about doing the Baths and the thread is pretty informational.

You will have many opportunities for good snorkeling during your cruise but Tortola will be the only chance to do the Baths. My wife and our friends did snorkel there but there was better for them in Barbados and Aruba. I think the Baths are a must do when in BVI.

We were just in Tortola and visited the Virgin Gorda Baths on March 17.

It is about a 10-15 minute walk to the ferry dock (head left along the waterfront after leaving the pier area.) We used Speedy's ferry $25. each roundtrip plus $5. open air jitney cab. Bought all our tickets in advance and had to wait abour 20 minutes for the ferry (10:30 am). The Baths were absolutely fabulous! The cost to enter this BVI park is $3. per person. US dollars are the currency on Tortola and Virgin Gorda apparently as that is all we saw or used. It is a good idea to wear water shoes or old sneakers you don't care about as your feet WILL get wet and I would not want to attempt to walk around all those rock outcroppings barefoot!! The path down to the beach is not level and there are only a few railings so if someone has difficulty climbing down or negotiating unmarked steps they may not want to attempt this! Also the climb through the Baths (short for Batholithe rock formations) requires a good amount of stooping, wading and climbing rocks and ladders so it is good to know this in advance. Try to follow others, if possible, as the exact path is not marked (on purpose to perserve the area). The Bays - Devil's and Stoney Bay - are absolutely lovely and well worth the rigors of the trail! So beautiful and different from any other place we have ever traveled!

The walk back up from the Baths seems much easier than going down!! We spent several hours at the Baths and thoroughly enjoyed the trails and the beautiful water. We did not snorkel but saw many folks with gear in the water. (Also saw a couple Topless ladies oon the beach! :eek: ) On our return walk up from the Baths we encountered a HUGE group of people from our ship's tour and I felt sorry for the them as they were in a LONG LINE that was moving so very slowly and that is NOT the experience one should have at the BATHS, IMHO! An independent day there is really the way to go, again, my opinion!

We shopped at the top of the Baths gift shops. The restaurant up there is cute and has its own swimming pool for patrons, too! We didn't eat there as DH was coming down with a bad cold that day and just wasn't hungry, but it looked nice. We had our water bottles with us all day and did buy a couple cokes.

We were on the 3:30 ferry back to Tortola and then spent an hour or so shopping along the walk back to the ship. There was even a local juice stand where we bought some great fresh fruit smoothies! A fabulous day in a great port destination!

My ship will only be in port until 2pm, and I've decided to go with the ship's tour. You can look up both ferry service times on their websites, just do a search.

I didn't want the stress of wondering if we'd miss the ship! So, I know its less than ideal, but it will still be great, I'm sure of it.

Do a google search but they are essentially rock formations at he water;s edge on Virgin Gorda. Lot of fun to walk over, around and under. Make sure you bring a waterproof camera. Absolutely beautiful and could be the highlight of your trip.

Sort of Virgin Gorda's answer to Stonehenge.

there really is no reason why you should'nt bring your regular camera.

If you'd take your camera to the beach then bring it to the baths! Same same>

We had our regular digital camera. I walked with a small backpack on the whole way and it was fine. You will need to duck (and maybe crawl) to get under some low rocks so be prepared for that. Some of the rocks and wooden ladders are rather slippery too.

Wear water shoes or old sneakers you do not mind getting soaked.

there really is no reason why you should'nt bring your regular camera.

>

except if you slip on the rocks and the camera gets wet. Buy a throwaway underwater camera for the stroll into the Baths.

Can you enjoy the Baths without climbing ladders and crawling on hands and knees? Does it depend on the tides?

Some of the rock formations are quite low. I needed to crawl because I had a backpack on the whole time. My DH could just stoop over and got through fine.

a throw away camera would need at least a flash most waterproof ones do not. I wouldn't recomend holding any camera in your hand as you traverse the journey as you climb obviously secure your camera. and I'm not sure where you'd have to slip to .. when going through them that you would be of a threat to a say a back pack or fanny.??

We were told that when we were there it was high seas and high tide.

still the deepest must trod through was not more than ankle deep in a few spots.

except if you slip on the rocks and the camera gets wet. Buy a throwaway underwater camera for the stroll into the Baths.

you can reach the beach on the otherside of the baths by path from the top of the baths location parking lot. you also could enter in and be in the biggest cavern with out climbing the first challenge. this is a place where you could also swim, the deepest for us was around 6 feet. the first challenge, which is like a steep ramp with a rope to hold onto. after that it is like clinbing a 5 stair step ladder in some places and ducking sideways and such to get through low headroom areas, never once did I crawl or squat walk. I'm not very tall though. 5'4

Can you enjoy the Baths without climbing ladders and crawling on hands and knees? Does it depend on the tides?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=697803

The above thread is the one I looked at in deciding how to go about doing the Baths and the thread is pretty informational.

I love to snorkel, but not at the Baths. Went there 6 yr ago just sand,boulders, no coral no fish. The place was beautiful to look at out of the water, I agree if you can make the hike, it is a must see once in your life. I am returning to Tortola next month and I hope to fdind some place more interesting to snorkel.

If you visiting Tortola then you must take a day trip to the baths on Virgin Gorda. Out of all the caribbean islands I have visited the baths are one of the top 3 sights to see.

There are some good photos and information here:

http://www.paradise-islands.org/virgin-gorda-baths.htm

I am very envious, have fun ecat522 and let us know how your vacation went.

Archived