Rome Hotels

Can anyone provide any information on the Cicerone hotel? It's a Celebrity hotel and we're considering using them for pre-cruise because of a promo air rate in conjunction. The hotel seems to be very $$$ but not as bad because of the air special.

Any comments on this property or things to do nearby?

I find this website helpful because they show you location on a map.

http://en.venere.com/hotels_rome/vatikan/hotel_cicerone.html?ref=3926&fe1

Then I go to www.tripadvisor.com for reviews.

I haven't stayed at this hotel, but from the review and location it looks great! As you say $$$ plays into the equation for me. I chose a smaller hotel near the Vatican for 95 EURO per night for a twin bed room.

Have a great cruise!

Celebrity is charging $450/night. I know that's excessive but it does include the cheap air and transfers. Not sure how badly we're getting ripped off.

I wouldn't want a room with twins, though. I hope that isn't standard there.

DH and I stayed there pre-cruise for 3 nights before our 10 night cruise on the Galaxy in July 2006. We enjoyed it. The room had twin beds that were made into a queen size like the beds on the cruise ships. We were very close to the Vatican, and really walked everywhere from the hotel. It was about a 45 minute walk to the coloseum, but there was so much to see on the way that we didn't feel like it was a long walk. There were several small restuarants nearby too. Breakfast was included, which was a good way to start the day.

I stayed there several years ago as part of a group tour package. It was fine but not memorable. I was alone but had a double or queen bed, don't remember. Based on my recollection of the hotel, $450 seems absolutely nuts unless you're getting a REALLY good break on the airfare!

It's just north of Castel Sant'Angelo, which in turn is very near the Vatican. You can easily walk everywhere from there. In general the neighborhood seemed quite good, although I didn't stay out too late at night so don't know what (if anything) happens there after dark.

I have stayed at the Cicerone twice, but years ago. I like the location a lot and since then have stayed at a hotel that's near it, Hotel dei Mellini.

I agree that $450 sounds nuts for that hotel, but the recent strong Euro is certainly not helping.

Well, the non-promo Celebrity air is $989pp plus the $300/night rate I can get myself. The promo air is $700pp plus the $450/night rate and transfers I get through Celebrity. So it seems like it works out best to take the air and transfers and pay the exorbitant hotel rate, much as it hurts!

Isn't that $450 per person? For that kind of money you could stay at the Beautiful Albergo Senata near the Pantheon. I think there rate is 350 Euros for two about $550 USD or there abouts, a much better location I believe they have shuttle service for about 60 euros from fco to Rome. If you go to cruisevaluecenter and check their flights Iberia has a flight for $764.00 NYC to FCO. ( wish they had it when I was making flight arrangements)So look into the costs closer if that is an issue

There are less expensive places in Rome but you really have to search, especially as the US$ sinks to new lows. The Albergo Santa Chiara is near the Pantheon as is the Best B & B Pantheon. Both get good reviews on Trip Advisor and are not as $$$$ as the del Senato. The del Senato is VERY HIGHLY rated. Another we considered is the Hotel Re di Roma..... new....inexpensive... but a bit out from the center although on the A metro line....on Venere with the discount code it was e90 in October......

I agree that it is not worth $550+ per night to stay in Rome. There are some other choices.

As for flights....AerLingus often offers good fares, even one way if you are on a TA. Consolidators like Vayama.com often have lower fares as well.

Marty

Archived