Miami car rental drop-off

shiloh25

Do any of you have a recommendation re which is the best company and drop-off location for getting rid of a rental car and then proceeding to the cruise ship pier? In 2005, I used Hertz and dropped the car off at their downtown location, which was convenient enough, but the place was a complete unorganized madhouse which I would like to avoid when I cruise later this year.

I see that Hertz and Alamo have locations in South Beach? Do they run shuttles from there to the ships?

Thanks for any help.

I may be totally wrong, but I do not believe that Alamo runs a shuttle from their drop off on South Beach. Hertz... no clue. I have seen their drop location, so I know what you are talking about... reminded me of pictures I have seen of Ellis Island with people looking everywhere for a shuttle/cab with their bags in tow.

I can say with certainty that Alamo, Thrifty, and Dollar all run free shuttles from Miami Airport car rental locations to the Port of Miami on a regular basis. Have used all three of them in the past with no problems whatsoever. For me, I look to see who I can get the best deal out of from these three and go with any one of them (Thrifty and Dollar are actually the same location, so their shuttles are shared).

Hope it helps! Joe

Avis has a location just around the corner from the port. No shuttle but plenty of cabs for under $10.

AVIS Downtown Miami - M6I

99 Southeast 2nd Street, (at Southeast 1st Avenue), Miami, FL 33131

305-379-1317

Sun 08:00AM-01:00PM; Mon-Fri 08:00AM-06:00PM; Sat 08:00AM-04:00PM

Map:

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&hl=en&geocode=9781820072515327956,25.772639,-80.191838&saddr=Avis+%4025.77263893566153,-80.1918375492096&daddr=25.778639,-80.180068&mra=mi&mrsp=1&sz=15&sll=25.778407,-80.18672&sspn=0.028481,0.039911&ie=UTF8&ll=25.778523,-80.18672&spn=0.028481,0.039911&t=h&z=15

Do any of you have a recommendation re which is the best company and drop-off location for getting rid of a rental car and then proceeding to the cruise ship pier? In 2005, I used Hertz and dropped the car off at their downtown location, which was convenient enough, but the place was a complete unorganized madhouse which I would like to avoid when I cruise later this year.

I see that Hertz and Alamo have locations in South Beach? Do they run shuttles from there to the ships?

Thanks for any help.

What issues were you faced with? Was it a long wait. I am scheduled to drop off my rental at the Downtown Hertz next Monday. What kind of situation amI in for. Should I just call a taxi yoget to the port?

Thanks for the answers so far. I appreciate it.

Gerig, I remember it being crowded, unorganized, with limited space to drop off the cars. There was a garage area nearby where you dropped off the cars, but no one from Hertz was actually there to help in any way. So unload all your cruise luggage in a strange place, then go the Hertz office and stand in a long line to turn the car in. Not fun about 1 pm on cruise day. After that, you wait outside on the street corner with many other people and their bags in hopes of seeing the Hertz van. Fortunately, one did eventually show up and take us to the ship, but it wasn't pretty. You could take a cab, but it's not really an area where one is likely to happen by. But if you ended waiting too long for the free shuttle, I guess you could always call one.

Perhaps they had a bad day or maybe they've upgraded the facility since then. You can let us know when you get back.

Avis has a location just around the corner from the port. No shuttle but plenty of cabs for under $10.

AVIS Downtown Miami - M6I

99 Southeast 2nd Street, (at Southeast 1st Avenue), Miami, FL 33131

305-379-1317

Sun 08:00AM-01:00PM; Mon-Fri 08:00AM-06:00PM; Sat 08:00AM-04:00PM

Map:

Hi Bequia!

When dropping off at Avis and needing to go to POM, are there cabs waiting at this Avis location to transport people?

Just curious if we will have to actually call a cab or possibly if Avis will call for us.

Thanks for the info!

Archived