question for all cruising parents!

createmem

Hey all - we are now getting to that sticky age when the child "feels" too old to hang out in the kids programs, but is too young for the age category where the "cool" stuff happens - yes I have a tween daughter!

We have two cruises scheduled this summer - and my lovely tween is concerned about the cruise programs! She has always been a willing and active participant in the nightly activities - giving hubby and I some alone time after dinner to enjoy the shows or other activities. However this wonderful age of 11 - where we feel we are too old to hang with the 9 - 11 year olds and yet are too young by cruise line definitions to be with the 12 - 14 year olds - is causing a bit of strife at home.

Have you ever been in a situation where the cruise line kids or teens club made an exception and put your child in the older age group? Quite honestly, I feel the age levels should maybe be based on school grade level - but can also see the issues there too. We are traveling on both RCL and Carnival. DD will be 11 1/2 by the time the cruises hit - but I still tell her that is too young to go with the 12 year old group, and this is the group that does the "cool" things she wants to do. Also RCL has the new program for 12 and up - which is totally up her alley and on the ship we are traveling on. Any input is great!

Thanks.

Princess nor HAL will move them to the older age category. Remember they know your kid's birthday because they have the passport.

The worst cruise I ever went on was a Holiday cruise on HAL. My daughter was less than 3 weeks from turning 13. She absolutely refused to hang out with the little kids (7-12), so she hung out with me the whole time. Thankfully we got free DVDs that cruise. The next cruise on Princess she loved being with the older kids and was mad when little kids tried to crash the fun. This past Christmas we had a fabulous cruise on HAL.

This is a real issue to the tween kids and can make or break your cruise.At least the cruise lines have listened and done the new 12-14 category, which keeps your 13 year old daughter away from 17 year old men.

But the lines pretty much stick to their guns as to the requirements. Last cruise we were on, lady at the purser desk was ADAMANT that her 12 year old was MUCH TOO MATURE to be with the children and HAD to be allowed in the group with the older teens....Didnt happen ....let me say this was not a happy lady!!!!!!!!

Here's what you do... when you go to the Camp Carnival Orientation, speak quietly to the Supervisor for that age group. Have your daughter with you - she's going to be eyeballed. The Supervisor is the one person who can decide to let her in to the higher age bracket, and it will likely be provisional at first.

It can be done, but it has to be done discretely.

Have fun!

:)

I think you haven't dealt with the kids program during a busy time in awhile. A girl on our last cruise had to attend the kids program half the cruise until her 13th birthday midweek. However, if there aren't a lot of kids on the cruise things can change. My 5 year old hung out with the teenagers on a Baltic Cruise. There were 8 kids on the entire cruise. She became their mascot. It is still my daughter's favorite cruise.

Just as the older 11 year old doesnt want to be with the younger kids, the 12-14yr olds often times dont want the YOUNGER ones to be in their group either...sticky situation.

That's true...........just stick with the age group. There will always be somebody your daughter's age within her age group that she can hang with. The almost 12's will find each other and have a good time. Another thing is attitude. If a tween/teen thinks they'll have a good time, they will; if not, they will find excuses to "prove" why they aren't. Welcome to the fun part of parenting. ;) On our first cruise with the kids, my son was 11 and the "meet and greet" the first night was for all kids up to 12 (not that's a big spread......I think/hope they do it different now). Anyway, we decided to all go together and told him that no matter what we were going to have a good time. The event was really geared towards the small ones but instead of leaving we participated in such "non-11 year old" activities like the hokey pokey. We ended up have fun and he did meet a friend (another 11 year old who was dragged to this thing) and they spent the whole cruise together having a great time. The counselors were also impressed with this older kid participating that they gave him a "ship on a stick" for the best hokey pokey!:) A boring, baby party turned out to be a great start to a great cruise.

Archived