Mom of cruising kiddos with epi-pens...

MamaParrotHead

What *is* the Carnival policy on administering an epi-pen? When I called Carnival to let them know about DS's food allergies and asthma, they asked what meds he'd be on during the trip and I mentioned we'd be bringing an epi-pen. The lady intially told me that CC staff doesn't administer injections. Is this ACTUALLY the case? My DS will be 6 at the time we sail and I can't imagine them not giving him the shot and waiting to locate ME (as I think he'll be too old for the pagers at that point, won't he?).

Thanks.

I know you've seen the "rules" before (adding them just in case)...but I have to agree, what if there is an allergic reaction and the child needs the shot immediatly? Do they call the med staff? Take them to the medical center? Page you? They are not clear enough for me. No wonder you are concerned. Does Carnival have a special needs dept that you can email?

And yes you can ask for a pager and they will give you one if there are some left over from the 2-5 year old group.

CSensationRules.jpg

i honestly don't know if this is possible, but can the child administer to him/herself? when my dd got her epipen the doctor mentioned to her to make sure she was familiar with the practice pen it comes with in case she's ever alone and needs it. luckily she's never needed it.

another thing they may need to do is contact the ships doctor if the reaction is THAT bad to need the epipen

I have a daughter with a peanut allergy. I would suggest that you instruct the staff not to let her have any snack that is not OK'd by you ahead of time. Or just say absolutely no snacks. You're much safer if you are in control of what she eats.

I've never been on Carnival, but on Princess they will give you a pager for an older kid if you request one.

--Junglejane

Does your DS know how the administer the shot himself? My DS went into anaphylactic shock when he was 5, that was 6 years ago and he remembers exactly how he felt. When we found out what he was allergic to we made sure he knew not to trade food, and how to read labels. Every year when we get a new epi-pen we go over how to use it with him (we also have one at all the family members houses and they know how to use it too).

For our trip I had to fill out a form and fax it to Carnival with what meds he would need. We are also going to make sure that the dining room and kids club knows of his allergies. We haven't decided if we are going to have him carry his pen or not.

He's only 4 right now, and will be 6 on our trip. I don't know at what point I should be teaching him about that. It's pretty intimidating! The very thought of MY having to do it gives me the heebie-jeebies. :(

He is very concious about asking if things have peanuts in them before even touching them at this point. That's about the extent of it, since I do daycare at home and he isn't in school yet. Any tips to work with him as he gets older from any of you BTDT moms?

Thanks for all the input, I appreciate it.

I personally would be teaching him now. And you can teach him without it being scary. We just gaie DS the trainer pen and have him show us what to do when he starts feeling like a reaction is happening. If he does something wrong then we reteach him; all the way from the beginning, not just what he messed up on. Like I said he has known how to do this since he was 5.

Being that your DS is only going to be 6 on your trip I would be sure to get a pager just incase. I also would tell the kids club folks that he can only eat what you approve of. I have been told that you will have to fill out a form for them any way re: allergies.

• 2 years later...

I know this is an old thread, but does anyone have any recent knowledge of this? We just found out our 2 year old DS is allergic to peanuts, and obviously, he's not old enough to know when or how to use his epi-pen. We plan to be extra vigilent about the foods he eats, but you just never know. It makes me a bit anxious!

Camp Carnival DID say that in life-threatening situations, they WOULD administer the epi-pen. We took it with us and dropped it off when we dropped our son off, then picked it up when we picked him up. It worked great.

BUT, my son also has an allergy to egg whites (not as severe as his peanut allergy by a MILE, though), but he ended up SITTING in something that had eggs on it that was on the fabric of the benched seating areas on the Lido deck one morning. My OTHER piece of advice would be to have someone wipe down where he's going to sit or use the plastic chairs in the outdoor Lido area.

Hope that helps!

Good thought, because he's allergic to eggs too (though I don't think it's as bad as the peanuts either).

Yes, we gave him some Benadryl quick (that I carry with me in a little case with his inhaler & epipen), but that didn't help. Then took him back to the cabin to lay down for a bit, still nothing. So we took him to the infirmary. The nurse was really nice, knowledgeable, said that if he was going to have a MAJOR reaction he would have at that point and he'd be OK to go ashore (ofcourse this was right before we were heading out to tender to Grand Cayman, LOL). She was, however, shocked to note that no one had been by to take his order at dinner for the following evening's dinner (keeping in mind this was the 5th night of a 7 night sailing) nor had anyone helped us in the Lido buffet (as I had done all the paperwork to inform them of his allergies AND informed our waiter of them). He got several calls over the next few days to inquire about his condition and how he was feeling (I have a feeling that was some serious damage control considering, in retrospect, how they dropped the ball). And they didn't charge us for the infirmary visit, either.

Just FYI. ;)

Should I contact the special needs department (I don't even know...it might be too late), or will filling out the allergy form be enough? I'm just brand new to this whole allergy thing that I don't know how proactive I need to be. He'll obviously be with us most of the time, but he will go to Camp Carnival (I hope) some.

YES, you want to be sure it's on file. Call the Special Needs Dept. AND whoever you booked with to make sure they notate it on your reservation as well. The forms are for Camp, but the dining room staff needs to be notified (which it will be noted on your reservation that way).

Archived