kids and dramamine.

lana.m

We are going on carnival triumph on saturday my kids ages 10,8,6 and 21 months get motion sickness in the car I give the 3 older kids dramamine befor we go on car trips.We went to the dr. and he gave us a rx for the patches we bought them but the more I read I am not sure with the side effects.So with this being our first cruise does anyone have any experience with giving less drowsy dramamine and if I gave it to them before they went to bed would it still be working for the next day until bedtime or should I give it in the morning?thank you for any advice.

I'm not a big fan of dramamine (I get motion sickness too)...I prefer bonine...and here's why. With dramamine, you have to give it to the kids before the motion starts and before they get sick. Dramamine doesn't work as well after they are already sick.

Bonine is a different med and can work AFTER they start to feel queasy. There is a children's formula bonine...it's a little hard to find though.

Dramamine, even the non drowsy, makes me sooo darn sleepy. I feel like I am in a coma when I take it. If I take bonine, I get tired, but not zombie like.

And you're right about the patches, I wouldn't take them...no way. :eek: There have been so many bad stories on the main boards about those patches. When you remove them, the medicine stays with your for days. So people who have had bad reactions to them try to remove them and still feel ill. The most common complaint I see is blurred vision. :(

okay I just got off the phone with the pharmasist at walgreens and the active ingredient in childrens bonine is the same as in less drowsy dramamine (not regular dramamine)both are chewable and the ingredient is meclazine so he said they both would work the same so hopefully I am covered I feel alot better then trying the patches.Thank you for your help.

okay I just got off the phone with the pharmasist at walgreens and the active ingredient in childrens bonine is the same as in less drowsy dramamine (not regular dramamine)both are chewable and the ingredient is meclazine so he said they both would work the same so hopefully I am covered I feel alot better then trying the patches.Thank you for your help.

I must respectfully disagree with the pharmacist. Children's Bonine is NOT the same active ingredient as Non-drowsy Dramamine. Non-drowsy Dramamine and Regular Bonine are both meclizine, which is not approved for use with children under age 12. Children's Bonine is cyclizine, which is approved for kids. Regular Dramamine and Dramamine Chewables are dimenhydrinate, which is also approved for kids.

We have used both the Dramamine Chewables and the Bonine for Kids for car trips. The kids liked the taste of the Bonine for Kids better than the Dramamine Chewables. The interesting thing is that, while both of our kids get horrible car sickness, neither of them have ever been sea sick.

I looked at teh drugstore.com website and it says not for children under 6. Has anyone used with a 3 year old?

Assuming your talking about the Bonine for Kids? I used it with my 4 year old who was about 32 pounds at the time. I just called the pediatrician for the dosage. The Dramamine Chewable is good for kids 2 and older.

Archived