Best stroller for Europe and why?

WineDown17

Hi. I'm not sure about recommendations for strollers but I did have a question for you :-) The "no charge, in cabin babysitter" comment. I'm thinking of booking a 12 night Europe this spring/summer myself and am a single Mom.

Have you ever left your child alone in-cabin before? How do you accomplish this with a feeling of safety - do you buckle him/her into the stroller? What about a playyard?

I was hoping to use the babysitting services but I'm hearing that they aren't always provided on the Carnival ships - it depends on the ship, the itinerary and the day (only to be disclosed after boarding).

Any advice you can provide would be helpful.

Not sure about a specific stroller (my kids have been out of them too long for me to be up to date on specific models), but as for the babysitting issue...

IMHO, I would never leave a child/baby alone in a cabin. Carnival WILL have the Camp available to any child 2 years or older until 10 pm. After 10 pm there is ALWAYS group babysitting available. The only thing that changes are the exact hours on sea days. Generally, the Camp is open from 9-12, 2-5, and 7-10 (although sometimes earlier for dinner.) The Camp premises are available for the under 2 set between 12 and 2, but they MUST be accompanied by a parent or other adult family member. On port days, the Camp is open the entire time the ship is in port, and they will feed your children at meal times, but again they must be at least 2 years old.

I&MsMom - Thanks for your reply. Any idea why my Carnival representative is telling me that Camp Carnival is not always available on all ships/all itineraries? She specifically said "don't count on it being available AT ALL". Sometimes they have it certain days/hours, sometimes not at all - it depends on the ship/itinerary/crew, etc. Unfortunately, this information is preventing me from booking my next vacation :-( I really want to do the 12 day Europe and have patiently waited until my daughter was 2 years old to take advantage of Camp Carnival - now I'm being told that this service won't necessarily be available.

Any information you can provide would be appreciated.

Hi. I'm not sure about recommendations for strollers but I did have a question for you :-) The "no charge, in cabin babysitter" comment. I'm thinking of booking a 12 night Europe this spring/summer myself and am a single Mom.

Have you ever left your child alone in-cabin before? How do you accomplish this with a feeling of safety - do you buckle him/her into the stroller? What about a playyard?

I was hoping to use the babysitting services but I'm hearing that they aren't always provided on the Carnival ships - it depends on the ship, the itinerary and the day (only to be disclosed after boarding).

Any advice you can provide would be helpful.

Am I understanding this correctly? You want to leave your two year old buckled into a stroller while they are alone in your cabin in case you can't get babysitting service? Is the OP asking the same question?

I think the comment is being taken the wrong way (at least i really hope so)

To answer the stroller question....

We love our Combi Ex. Fully reclines, lightweight, good padding, folds like an umbrella and has a shoulder strap. Our son loves it and has been in very noisy places (ie-theme parks) and taken naps and slept great.

Also heard great things about the Maclaren Triumph/Volvo/Etc., similar features but about $150 more.

FYI - I have never left my child alone in the cabin and do not intend to do so. Thus the questions about the Camp Carnival and Babysitting. My main question/concern is that my Carnival rep is telling me that these services are not available on all cruises/dates/itineraries - that it depends on the day/time/ship/etc. which is very confusing and frustrating. Supposedly I won't know if these services are available and if so when until after boarding.

I prefer to plan ahead and the not knowing is preventing me from booking my vacation.

Also FYI when I was on the NCL Spirit, I purchased a special long-range monitor in hopes of being able to have dinner while listening to the monitor but that didn't work out as I guess the range was blocked by something :-( Dinner at the buffet or room service was my only option for 7 days in Hawaii.

Krystilia: I truly have no idea how your Carnival rep. could be telling you this. We've been on 6 Carnival cruises since Jan. 2005, and brought our kids on all of them. On each ship, regardless of the length or itinerary, Camp was essentially the same.

On the evening of embarkation, there is a Camp meeting for sign-up (filling out a form, including info about allergies, etc.) Following the meeting, there is a Camp party in the disco, which is followed by a make-your-own-sundae in the Lido restaurant. This is all with parents in attendance (you can't just leave the kids). At 10 pm, the group babysitting is available for a small hourly fee.

The next morning, depending on if it's a port day or a sea day, the Camp is available starting at 9 if it's a sea day, or starting whenever the ship docks/anchors if its a port day. Camp has been available EVERY single day and evening of every cruise we've been on, excepting the day of disembarkation/embarkation.

In our experience, the afternoon of the last sea day has abbreviated hours, to accommodate the Camp talent show and "family" activities.

For the 2-5 group, Camp is always in the Camp room (the older kids sometimes move around - dance class in the disco, attending the production shows in the evening, etc.). How many children are on board for a particular cruise can impact Camp procedures (we've been on cruises with 30 kids under 18 and on cruises with upwards of 800). For our Med. cruise last April (30 kids total), when we went by the Camp to see it on embarkation day, we were warmly welcomed in, we were invited to fill out the requisite paperwork, the kids were invited to have a look around and explore the Camp, and we were given the cellphone for DD (4). That's the only time that has happened though. On other cruises, with tons of kids, they've spread the age-groups out around the ship, to try to alleviate some of the back-up at sign in/sign out times. Even with this, the process can be slow if you hit it wrong, and if you've got children in more than one age group, you have to go through this more than once.

HTH!!:)

I appreciate the one stroller recommendation..

And I was joking about it turning into a sitter as I have budgeted over $600 for this service when my son will be asleep next year on our 12 night celebrity cruise.

Clearly NO ONE should ever leave a child alone in a room!!

In ters of what each line offers, there are many threads on here that discuss that, or maybe you might want to start a specific thread on the topic.

I have ben asking about babysitting experiences on X, and have heard nothing but glowing replies.. as to if I actually feel confident enough to use it next May, I will let you know next June.:eek:

I&MsMom - so you HAVE been on the Freedom for the Europe itinerary and they DID have Camp Carnival and babysitting at nights? How very odd... The rep has even called me several times, checked with her supervisor and I'm being told the same thing. I got to the point where I said I won't be booking this trip because of the unstability/uncertainty of the Camp Carnival program....

Do you have PVP that I could speak with? I'm guessing you don't happen to have saved any Carnvival Capers from this itinerary showing the children's program?

Thanks for all the information, I'll definately speak with someone else at Carnival about this.

Krys

ITo answer the stroller question....

Also heard great things about the Maclaren Triumph/Volvo/Etc., similar features but about $150 more.

I have the MacClaren triumph! 4th stroller. Finally got it right. It's 8lbs, one handed steering. It's so easy, compact and has a strap for the shoulder and fully reclines. It has a basket underneath and is a snap to fold up and down. It came with a fully covered rain coat and it has come in handy in WDW. Baby slept in the rain, while we waddled through the parks in ponchos. I HIGHLY recommend this stroller!!!

I don't really get the no charge in cabin sitter. The stroller is a stroller, like an umbrella stroller but certainly not cheap. There is no bar on the front for toys. If you want something of that nature, the Peg Perego Pliko is nice..but it's bulkier.

The MacClaren has lasted me over 5 yrs and 2 kids. I finally got rid of the other 3 (Graco, Sit and Stand and an umbrella cheapie) and wish I would have gotten this stroller with my 1st child instead of later with the 2nd.

Best of luck!

I'll second the Combi Ex. I haven't used it in Europe...so I can't say it will be exactly what you need for that trip. However, it's the stroller in the back of the van that gets the most use. It's very light (8 lbs I think), folds easily and compactly, reclines and is nicely padded. It's pretty narrow too, which I like for manuvering around in tight spaces. And it carries kids up to 55 lbs...so it'll have a nice long life. I had a previous version of this stroller 10 years ago, and used it for 6 years without problems. Ended up passing it along. I got this new stroller at Babys R Us on clearance for $59. Personally, I wouldn't take a $200 stroller on a trip.

OK- I have looked up a lot of strollers, and I think I know what I want- but dont know if any one stroller will fit the bill...

I would like it to be:

Safe

Under 15 lbs

Reclining

Small enough to fit in overhead bin

Have a catty strap/bag

Last until DS is 40 lbs+

Price- Preferably under $250, but I love a good deal...

And i apologize if my sarcastic sense of humor is still leading anyone to believe I would leave DS alone in the cabin.. I was thinking more of a magic genie stroller, which we all know doesnt REALLY exist...

OK- I have looked up a lot of strollers, and I think I know what I want- but dont know if any one stroller will fit the bill...

I would like it to be:

Safe

Under 15 lbs

Reclining

Small enough to fit in overhead bin

Have a catty strap/bag

Last until DS is 40 lbs+

Price- Preferably under $250, but I love a good deal...

And i apologize if my sarcastic sense of humor is still leading anyone to believe I would leave DS alone in the cabin.. I was thinking more of a magic genie stroller, which we all know doesnt REALLY exist...

What overhead bin? I hope you mean in the cabin (if that exists) and NOT on the airplane. Never take a stroller on an aircraft. I was a F/A for 13 years and our greeter was supposed to stop any and make sure they were "gate checked". Sure, in off-season sometimes a tiny umbrella stroller could be stuffed in the First Class closet but that was the exception, not the rule.

Metal luggage carts and strollers should never be placed in overhead bins as they might come down crashing on someone's head. Happened to someone on my airline, luckily not my flight, and she has permanate nerve damage.

Besides, taking up that much overhead space will not make you popular with your fellow passengers! When you fly with kids, you want to stay in the others' good graces :D.

I borrowed a friends' McClaren for a recent visit to Paris and it was great. I loved the way it folded down so quickly and small. It reclined, was light and had a carrying strap. It also fit my almost 4 year old very well so a no-brainer for a 2 year old. It was also bigger than mine, which I took on the cruise and easily fit behind the door on Celebrity. The McClaren would have even been better.

Btw, we could never get a sitter on Celebrity. Make sure you sign up early. Luckily my youngest was 3 and could use the club.

Have a good cruise!

http://flyingwithchildren.blogspot.com

Yes, I DO mean overhead bins. There is one called a Quinny Zapp that fits in a travel bag and is 10x11x27/13lbs-smaller and lighter than most carry on bags... (smaller than any of the Maclarens) and since we would be paying for his seat, he counts as a passenger that gets to bring on one carry on item.

That aside-

has anyone ever used a Quinny Zapp? I love everything about it, but it doesnt recline.. A similar alternative appears to be a Zooper Twist which does recline...

Also- The macalrens look great from a size perspective, but look very uncomfortable...

I am looking for a travel pram as well for our trip to America. I looked at the Zapp but not only doesn't it recline but there is not basket. I also lik the look of MacLaren's Techno and Silver Cross Pop. I don't think you need a particular pram for Europe. :) There are all sorts of prams here.

I really liked the Twist- And it came down to that and the combi- They are very similar.. but the Flex folded up smaller, came with a carry bag, and what pushed it over the top for me was the carry strap.. You can fling it right over your shoulder..The Twist only had a small handle.. and I think I will need both hands free. It also looks very comfy! There are lots of nice choices out there.. all with slight variations.. I hope I made the right choice.

The combi also has a big basket, and a drink/snack tray. I bought a rain cover just in acse.. But I wish it had the UV cover like the twist.

Of course once I get it I may feel differnetly.. but it was a tough choice!

Our current stroller we love for walks.. it is a Jeep.. but it weighs almost 40 lbs and takes up a ton of space.. So I am really hopeful this will be "the one! We will use it all summer on our boat, so we will be able to test drive it!! :)

We just came back from a Caribbean cruise and I did TONs or research about the best stroller to buy, I read online, talked to friends and tested about 10 different strollers. We ended up buying the Maclaren Volo and we LOVED it, we now hardly ever use the other larger stroller that we have. The Volo has everything that you need except the recline. I was concerned about that but ended up not being an issue. Despite what it looks, the stroller is very comfy and my son took a few naps in it even without the recline (obviously if you plan on him sleeping there a lot, then get the higher lever Maclaren - Triumph, which also reclines but is a little heavier and more expensive). We got our Volo at Target for $99, what a deal! It drives like a dream, you can push with one hand, folds very small, has a strap to carry and is very lightwieight, has a small basket. My 2nd choice was the Inglesina Swift which is just like the Maclaren but has a recline (around $100) but they did not have it in stock at our BRU - either one of those would be fine.

I tested the Quinny in the the store and didn;t like how it drove plus the seat did not seem very comfy. If you can go and test the different options somewhere, that would be best.

Yes, I DO mean overhead bins. There is one called a Quinny Zapp that fits in a travel bag and is 10x11x27/13lbs-smaller and lighter than most carry on bags... (smaller than any of the Maclarens) and since we would be paying for his seat, he counts as a passenger that gets to bring on one carry on item.

Of course he's a passenger. No one is saying differently but carry on items are not REQUIRED to go in overhead bins. Paying for a seat doesn't justify putting something dangerous in the overhead bins.

There is no reason why that stroller has to come in the cabin. Please cooperate with the crew when they ask you to gate-check it and please be considerate of other passengers!

OK.. help me understand this- The below: which measures 27x10, within FAA guidelines for a carry on.. and which weighs 13 lbs.. again, well within guidelines would be a danger? If I didnt tell anyone what it was, no one would stop it from coming aboard.

I could not find anyting on the FAA website (I am a stickler for seeing things in writing) that said it would prohibit something of this nature.. a weildy stroller- yes.. a duffle bag. of legal dimensions and weight.. no..

I guess I need to undrstand the logic.. And not to be argumentative.. but it seems downright discriminatory to families if the nature of the prohibition is based on the use of the item, vs its relative safety.. provided it meets all other regulations. And we all know there are far more dangerous items that are "allowed" to be carried on that this..

102360LIME00000-1.jpg

Archived