Three Generation Cruises

Sky Sweet

Which cruise line do you think is best for three generation cruises?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which cruise line do you think is best for three generation cruises?

• Holland America
    • Princess
    • Costa
    • Royal Caribbean
    • Celebrity
    • Cunard
    • Carnival
    • Norwegian
    • Crystal
    • Regent
    • Cruise West
    • Azamara
    • Oceania
    • Other - list below

It is interesting that no one picked Celebrity.

My husband and I like Celebrity. However, we would be reluctant to take a three generation cruise on that cruise line because of all the posts on the Celebrity board from people complaining about the children who were on their cruise.

It appears that Celebrity has a lot of passengers who don't like children, and I wouldn't want my grandchild to ever feel that she is ruining someone's vacation.

I have worried about this also but two things to consider:

1. On any given cruise, a small percentage of the people are active members of cruisecritic.

2. People without kids have more time to be on cruisecritic. (or at least this is true for me. I had more time on the internet pre-kids).

We just did a 4 generation cruise (6mo, 29, 59, 92) on the NCL Pearl. It had something for everyone and the freestyle part worked well with the baby. Does HAL really have in room baby sitting for kids under 1? That would be good to know.

Hi lolacat :)

Yes, it does. Our granddaughter was only seven months old when we took a three generation cruise on Holland America's Westerdam in November. In cabin babysitting was provided for her almost every night, and the people who did it were very nice.

During the first day of that cruise, our daughter went to the guest relations desk to make the request for in cabin babysiting. They use staff members who want to make extra money by babysitting when they are off duty.

I have worried about this also but two things to consider:

1. On any given cruise, a small percentage of the people are active members of cruisecritic.

2. People without kids have more time to be on cruisecritic. (or at least this is true for me. I had more time on the internet pre-kids).

Hi VPIcruiser :)

You raised some very good points that are motivating me to rethink my original comments.

BTW, does the VPI in your screen name stand for Virginia Polytech Institute?

PS Sky Sweet

When we were planning our Disney World trip last year, I was shocked to discover that the people on the Disney forums (on a different web site) were complaining about kids at Disney! They were not just complaining about bad behavior. Thankfully, there are also a lot of people in favor of kids at Disney.

Sometimes reading these boards makes me worry about taking the kids on a cruise, but it is such a great family vacation especially for three generations.

PS Sky Sweet

When we were planning our Disney World trip last year, I was shocked to discover that the people on the Disney forums (on a different web site) were complaining about kids at Disney! They were not just complaining about bad behavior. Thankfully, there are also a lot of people in favor of kids at Disney.

Sometimes reading these boards makes me worry about taking the kids on a cruise, but it is such a great family vacation especially for three generations.

Hi VPI Cruiser :)

Since Disney World has always been a family oriented place, it is amazing that people would complain about children at Disney.

That is comparable to complaining about the number of senior citizens who live in an adult community...LOL :)

Which cruise line do you think is best for three generation cruises?

We'll be doing a 3 generation this summer, consistent with the polls my first preference was RCL but once we factored in the ports it was Princess all the way. Now the only sad thing is 10 of 12 days will be busy port touring days we won't nearly have enough time to really enjoy the wonderful ship :(

I know my parents vision of fun is not aligned with my experience on Carnival and they went out of consideration right away

It is interesting that no one picked Celebrity.

My husband and I like Celebrity. However, we would be reluctant to take a three generation cruise on that cruise line because of all the posts on the Celebrity board from people complaining about the children who were on their cruise.

It appears that Celebrity has a lot of passengers who don't like children, and I wouldn't want my grandchild to ever feel that she is ruining someone's vacation.

I voted for Princess in the poll, but I wouldn't hesitate to do a 3 generation cruise on Celebrity. We did a family reunion cruise to Alaska in August 2006 on Celebrity. Our extended family ranged in age from 5 to 85. We had a great time. The anti-kid posters on the Celebrity CC board weren't representative of what we experienced onboard.

--Junglejane

Archived