Scavi Tours

Another Sparky.:)

Wow..you have made me smile now. Thank you. I emailed about 2 weeks ago for April 2009 & since have been so worried that it was too early & the request would just be shelved & forgotten. Perhaps I'll get confirmation in the next few weeks too. Fingers crossed.

Sparky1664 -

Hope you hear soon, too. Now that you know spring 2009 tour dates are being given out at least you know not to wait too long to get back in touch with them if you don't hear something. Good luck!

I emailed my c/c info yesterday; haven't heard back with final email yet. Hope that works out okay -- I know email is like sending a postcard -- not a good way to give c/c info but our fax at work blocks international numbers and I don't have one at home so I took a chance doing it online.

Yes, even non-religious folks will love it for the archeological bits in there. It is really a fabulous tour, but be sure to give yourself enough time to get there, and remember, no backpacks.

You have to show your ticket confirmation to the Swiss Guard directly to the left of the St. Peter's main entrance- closer to where the Vatican post office/gift shop building is, and they will only let you in within say 30 minutes of your tour.

One of the best things we did in Rome, and for lots of general tips & chatter about it- visit the Trip Advisor Forums for Rome, it is always a hot topic over there. Some people get confirmations right away, some don't. We actually didn't get our confirmation until we were actually in Rome, and had to get the papers printed out at our hotel, which was a small challenge.

I also sent a request for July and got a response within 3 days, unfortunately, my computer crashed and I lost the e-mail. I did remember the date and time so I used my old computer and sent an e-mail with my credit card info and name ad time/date of tour. I'm concerned because it has been two weeks and I have not heard anything back yet. Should I call them? Any suggestions?

Thanks,

Lori:mad:

I received my confirmation for a tour on April 15. I promptly replied per their instructions with credit card info and have not received a receipt yet. Their email said within a few days of payment I would receive a confirmation/receipt email. I am worried too.

They said my reservation with be canceled if they don't receive payment within 30 days. Granted it hasn't been 30 days. I guess I'll wait until mid next week and then see what happens. I can always call them, but I'd rather not . Hopefully they are just backlogged. Has anyone else had to wait a long time to receive their receipt?

• 1 month later...

I had to send five separate emails before I FINALLY received an answer. All this one said was:

Automatic answer to confirm the receipt of the message. This message only confirms that we have received your request and does not mean that your tour is scheduled.

Please don't answer this message.

Your requests are also being processed and we will communicate the schedules of the visit as soon as possible only when the visit is possible.

But at least I know that my emails were received! I am looking for a tour January 27, 2009.

When I first sent my request, I got the same automatic reply. We were trying to book for November 2008. I was starting to worry, so I re-read all the directions for confirmation:

Dates and language of tour desired

How many tickets - we wanted 8 tickets.

Names of all people in tour and country of origin

Where in Rome you are staying, address and phone

I also included that were were arriving by cruise ship and gave that information.

I got the confirmation of our first choice within 3 days. After I sent my credit card information I then got the receipt within a few days.

I did check and found out they were very tough on having all the information before scheduling.

I hope this helps -We are so excited about our tour, and we got ours for 3pm the day our cruise ends in Rome!

Good luck - Mary

Do you think this tour is amazing to even the not-very-religious? It seems it would be fascinating from an archeological perspective as well.

We'll have only 4 days in Rome so we want to cram in as much as possible. To those who have taken the tour -- would this be at the top of your list for a short visit?

Thanks.

My husband and I are not religious and the Scavi tour was the highlight of our 3 week trip. Our guide was a lay student of philosophy and had a sense of joy of the whole experience himself.

Our tour was at 3:30 and Mass in St Peter's started during our tour. To be in the excavations and hear the organ and 20,000 people singing was very moving!

The excavations are beautifully preserved and well worth the trip.

Can I ask...did you resubmit your application at all when you double checked the details?

I must admit, although I was careful to include everything required as far as I could, I wasn't able to provide hotel info in Rome as they were not generally open for bookings at the time I applied. (I did mention this in my original request.) I have found somewhere now..do you suggest I update my information ?

I don't want to upset them..I know I need to tread very carefully here.

Can I ask...did you resubmit your application at all when you double checked the details?

I must admit, although I was careful to include everything required as far as I could, I wasn't able to provide hotel info in Rome as they were not generally open for bookings at the time I applied. (I did mention this in my original request.) I have found somewhere now..do you suggest I update my information ?

I don't want to upset them..I know I need to tread very carefully here.

.................................................................................................

I sent a new e-mail, and in the first sentence I noted that I had already applied, but realized that I did not have all the needed information. I then did list all the necessary information. I was very concise in the information, and gave them all they needed. I wonder if they don't just discard any incomplete application, as I then got the confirmation within a week!

Good luck.

Wow! Thanks so much for your very quick reply. :)

I have just done this so fingers crossed now.

I remember when making my original application that hotel info was requested & I couldn't give it. However, I have just turned up this webpage on a search and it doesn't mention this.:confused: strange..there must be more than one web page out there.

http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/institutions_connected/uffscavi/documents/rc_ic_uffscavi_doc_gen-information_20040112_en.html

Anyway, I have used the above link, together with your list, so I'll start the waiting game again.

I also booked a tour for Oct. in Feb.and it was accepted in one week by email and I sent my payment info. I think the summer months are much more difficult because of the number of requests. Ialso stated that we were Catholics and which Arch. we were from. Don't know if that helped or not.

I just applied last night, received an e-mail saying that received our request --- I supplied a 4-day span late September, so hoping one of them comes through!!!

I hasve to wait to hear from them before I can book Borghese Gallery or Vatican tours - also not sure yet which day to do our "out-of-town" touring to Hadrian's Villa etc...

Keeping my fingers crossed....

• 3 weeks later...

I emailed a request about week ago for August 5th. Our time in Rome is rather tight, so I didn't expect to get my request at this late date. (We could only go Tuesday in the later afternoon.) However, to my surprise, I got an email this am stating that we could come on Tuesday at 3:15!!! Perfect:D !

I called and gave them my credit card info. We are really excited about this!

Janet

Archived