Places for a runner to run on Labadee?

adavidw

Hi all,

We're doing a Western Caribbean cruise on Mariner of the Seas the first week in June that stops in Cozumel. I'll be right in the middle of training for a marathon at the time, and would like to at least attempt to keep up with my training while on the cruise.

Are there any runners here that know of any good place to run on Labadee, like a good route or a running trail? I remember reading about some RCCL "Vitality" program that included running trails on Labadee, but I haven't been able to find out any more about that.

I could always hit the treadmill or the running track on the ship, but if I'm doing a long run of 14 miles, that's a lot of time to be on a treadmill. Also, if my previous experience with the running tracks on ships is any indication, I'll be spending more time dodging clueless passengers than actually putting in good time.

If no one knows of any specific place to go, would anyone want to comment on whether or not they feel it would be safe to just find a road and start running? Do they even have roads on Labadee?

Thanks in advance for all your help!

-Aaron

Dont remember any roads or solid surface. I just remember sand. You could probably run on the ship at the track while the ship is in port and most people go ashore.

I know what you mean about people wandering aimlessly around and thru the track.

Good Luck on your marathon.

Labadee is mostly sand and rather deep sand at that. However, that might be a unique kind of training...kind of resistance training. Also be advised that the first week of June will be very, very hot and humid at Labadee.

If you do want to try running there, I suggest that you catch one of the earliest tender boats over to the island so that you are there in the coolest time of the morning.

You could try to follow the trail that the open-air train takes through the center of the Labadee. The sand is a little more beaten down. If you go from one of Labadee to the other, you will even be able to get in a little hill training. Another place you could add to your run is the rocky path out to Devil's Breath just for a change of scenery.

I forgot to add one thing. To avoid the "clueless pasengers" who get in your way on Mariner's running "trail", do what I did. I was up and on that deck by 5:45 AM every morning. For about a half an hour or longer, the only folks out there were myself and the deck chair guys cleaning and arranging deck chairs. Plus, the sun rise at sea is spectacular.

Archived