Did HAL change the dress code???

Roboat

So, Betty: Riskmgr says in his post that he "can't drive 55 mph or wear a tie" - which speaks volumes about his respect for civil behavior. So that's why I threw in the speed limit part.

Now, I would have also welcomed a response from an earlier poster (ET), who I'm pretty sure is attached to riskmgr. ET has been amusingly militant about wearing t-shirts to formal affairs, saying her DH wears t-shirts all the time and "they are considered very stylish in Long Island." Well, that's just too good to pass up.

People who live in and around New York City, in my opinion, do have a different sense of style. In fact, I actually sometimes like it, compared to the bland dress in the DC area where I spent 40 years.

I do applaud you for standing up against the stereotyping of Long Islanders. That's got to be a pretty big job. But I'm not prejudiced. I'd like to think I tease everyone equally, regardless of race, creed, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or veteran status. But some people just beg for it, so I do give them preference.

......But I'm not prejudiced. I'd like to think I tease everyone equally, regardless of race, creed, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or veteran status....

Roboat, not to worry ... you do;) !!!

It is too bad Betty came along when she did and seemed only to read your post. Because had she read all the posts she would have realized that in reality she, too, was expressing a "prejudice" of sorts toward you and that there was plenty of it to go around IF that's how you choose to read an amusingly expressed opinion.

Personally, as most of you know, I'm tired of political correctness and think life just isn't a whole lot of fun anymore when you can't playfully poke a little fun:D now and then. Anyone watched a good comedian lately? That's what they do ... that's what makes them funny.

As for me ... and though I've not said it before and nobody asked;) ... I really don't care what anyone wears in the dining room. I do believe in convention and if I'm going to board a Holland America ship then I'm going to dress as they "suggest". But I really could care less if someone wants to look out of place and dress otherwise. If it doesn't bother them, it doesn't bother me. But since HAL has set their standard, they have every right to request the diner return appropriately dressed:) .

Heather, why do you assume I did not read the entire thread..I read every post on this thread & still took it as an insult..If you think I am prejudiced against Roboat you should re-read my post..I was Insulted, & did not enjoy his prejudiced remarks about "Long Islanders"! I do have a sense of humor & I'm not trying to be "Politically Correct"...However, I don't tolerate those kind of remarks in my own house, so why should I sit back & pretend that they are ok here!..Yes, I did say that I was amazed that others did not pick up on the kind of person that would make such Hurtful Remarks, & I'm still amazed that others would defend him!

Children in our community, have the "Police" patrolling their school corridors, because of some who have "Playfully Poked" FUN & HURT others! Perhaps you have never experienced this hurt, but I've seen it & also experienced it! Our Children & Grandchildren learn from adults & if we tolerate it (even in jest), we are just as Hurtful!

Roboat..How was I to know that you were joking about a former post from "ET" (not on this thread)..I've been on this board for more than 2 1/2 years & don't consider myself a "newbie" but I believe that many "newbies" could not possibly know that your post was in Jest..Perhaps we should consider them when posting! I'm still not laughing, even though I read the post that said "WOW" & your change...

Ok, enough said by me, & time to get off my soapbox..

Betty

However, I don't tolerate those kind of remarks in my own house, so why should I sit back & pretend that they are ok here!

And with that incredibly twisted logic, I can't believe you even read your OWN posts! :)

Hey, I am sorry that you managed to take actual honest-to-goodness offense at my teasing of "New Yorkers of the eastern persuasion," and I shan't do it again. Let's just fuggeddabowdit. :cool:

Of course, jacket is another ambiguous word. I know they mean sports coat and not windbreaker.
You do; not so everyone!

On my South America cruise one man did come to formal nights in a windbreaker. He wore black pants, a white shirt w/black bow tie, and a black windbreaker! Said he didn't bring any dress-up clothes with him, but didn't dare come to the table without making an attempt. At least he did try.

As far as the "naturists" idea---well, that might kill a lot of appetites!

I will try to remember how to tie a tie! As a real estate agent that lives on a lake & sells lake homes, I dress for work in Hawaiian shirts, shorts & boat mocs much of the year. Our upcoming cruise will be the first time I have to wear a jacket or tie (or tie one) since our last cruise... I will break down, however & work within "the rules".

Jackets & ties just don't work when you are showing lakefront homes from a pontoon!

That's like those of us who live beachside in Florida. We consider white jeans to be formal and blue jeans informal and cutoffs and berks casual.:D

Well, not naming any names, but there are people who post here without ever giving positive advice or feedback but insist on jumping all over others. There are also some strongly opinionated folks who do help out their fellow cruisers with advice, suggestions and some research. We could use a lot more of the latter!
Dave, have you thought of the number of posters who have been driven away from Cruise Critics by those who have no other outlet for their fury than here?

To do some research takes effort. Why would anyone in their right mind bother knowing the response they will receive?

Dave, have you thought of the number of posters who have been driven away from Cruise Critics by those who have no other outlet for their fury than here?

Unfortunately there's not much that can be done about that...

-dave

To do some research takes effort. Why would anyone in their right mind bother knowing the response they will receive?
Huh?:confused: I don't understand this question. I don't think Dave was suggesting that people research the answer to their own query. I believe he meant the person who answers may research it.

I know that I have known a little something about some questions on these boards and have further researched it in order to give a more intelligent answer ... often providing a link to more information. So I don't think Dave's point was off the mark at all.

Am I missing something here?

So, Betty: Riskmgr says in his post that he "can't drive 55 mph or wear a tie" - which speaks volumes about his respect for civil behavior. So that's why I threw in the speed limit part.

Now, I would have also welcomed a response from an earlier poster (ET), who I'm pretty sure is attached to riskmgr. ET has been amusingly militant about wearing t-shirts to formal affairs, saying her DH wears t-shirts all the time and "they are considered very stylish in Long Island." Well, that's just too good to pass up.

People who live in and around New York City, in my opinion, do have a different sense of style. In fact, I actually sometimes like it, compared to the bland dress in the DC area where I spent 40 years.

I do applaud you for standing up against the stereotyping of Long Islanders. That's got to be a pretty big job. But I'm not prejudiced. I'd like to think I tease everyone equally, regardless of race, creed, national origin, age, sexual orientation, or veteran status. But some people just beg for it, so I do give them preference.

Roboat-

You are most observant... several of us concluded months ago ET and RISK are one and the same... nice to know we were not alone. :D

Boy - this thread sure has been, um, interesting!

I was going to let it drop. But then I though, nah, if I do then the terrorists would win. (That's sarcasm, folks).

So wear what you want into the dining room. Sit at my table. I won't snub you, I'll converse as if nothing is amiss. But when the Maitre d' asks you to leave, I'll stand up and cheer...

-dave

Hmmm - so what you are saying is you are not genuine. That you will blast people here for their dress thoughts - but not have the guts to do so face to face at your table.

Yet if someone else calls someone at your table out for their dress - you will stand up and cheer.

Sounds to me you are someone who lacks courage in your convictions. If you criticize someone on board here for something - why wouldn't you do so face to face?

ekerr - Risk and ET the same actual person! Who'd a thunk it?!!! Oh wait. You guys did. I may be error-prone and forgetful, but I'm slow to catch on. :)

Yeah, this has been quite a thread, considering my initial question: Did HAL change the dress code? Especially when the simple answer is "No, Dummy!"

Let's let it die it's horrid death. No response necessary.

I was going to let it drop. But then I though, nah, if I do then the terrorists would win. (That's sarcasm, folks).

I don't really care what anyone wears into the dining room. Come in nekkid with a flower on your, um, head for all I care.

What I do object to is people who feel they are above the rules and conventions. People who are arrogant enough to feel that they alone can chose when to conform and when not to. And, sorry Marc, I know you were also being sarcastic but they don't all live on Long Island. If only that were true!

So wear what you want into the dining room. Sit at my table. I won't snub you, I'll converse as if nothing is amiss. But when the Maitre d' asks you to leave, I'll stand up and cheer...

-dave

How'd I get dragged into this.:eek:

I only posted about having to go back and purchase the bottom half of my suit, and haven't been to this thread in a week. I think this was supposed to be directed at Roboat.

BTW, I'm originally from Brooklyn which is physically connected to Long Island, However, I wouldn't admit in public (oops, I guess I just did).

Well, color me confused. Marc, I couldn't figure why Dave referred to you either and then I thought maybe Roboat's name was Marc as well!!!:D And who the heck is ET? I just read the entire thread again and couldn't find the "earlier poster ET". Maybe Roboat meant another thread? Is this a conspiracy to make me crazy?:p

Hmmm - so what you are saying is you are not genuine. That you will blast people here for their dress thoughts - but not have the guts to do so face to face at your table.

Yet if someone else calls someone at your table out for their dress - you will stand up and cheer.

Sounds to me you are someone who lacks courage in your convictions. If you criticize someone on board here for something - why wouldn't you do so face to face?

You persist in (I can only think) deliberately misunderstanding me. So here it is spelled out in steps even you should be able to understand:

1) I personally don't care what you wear

2) I very much care that you abide by the rules of the cruise line

Got that?

Well, color me confused. Marc, I couldn't figure why Dave referred to you either and then I thought maybe Roboat's name was Marc as well!!!:D And who the heck is ET? I just read the entire thread again and couldn't find the "earlier poster ET". Maybe Roboat meant another thread? Is this a conspiracy to make me crazy?:p

Heather-

It was on another thread - Dave (I think) and I (along with a few others) concluded ET (etrainer) and RISK (Riskmgr) were either related - or one and the same person - ET was taking a beating by a few posters for some pretty flip remarks about the dress code and all of a sudden RISK came to the rescue saying he'd know ET for 30+ yrs and she dressed better than most cruisers they'd ever cruised with on their 30+ cruises.... It was funny because RISK had just joined CC that day and it was his 2nd or 3rd post.

There was a similar situation on a lifeboat drill thread where ET was getting flamed for stating she stays in her cabin during the drill - along came RISK, to the rescue! :)

I must have missed those threads, but that isn't the first time I've suspected one person to have multiple identities.

Probably won't be the last.

I don't know about multiple identities, but I can believe multiple personalities.

No you can't.

Yes I can.

I thought I told you both to stop this bickering.

OMG, this getting hilarious! :D Like one of those Victorian DVD's from Netflix my wife has to explain to me. "No, Roboat. The guy in the carriage is Farnsworth's adopted brother, the one who married the Vicar's lover? They bought the estate? She was Reginald's tutor? .. Oh fergawd's sake. Just go make some popcorn!"

I don't even know who Marc is, and I'm NOT going back to look.

ET was from another thread - I would never disclose her real name, which rhymes with BeeTrainer, but I thought "ET" was more appropriate for some reason, and I understood that movie.

Orcrone, I feel for ya man. There you were, innocently sitting in the main dining room, no pants, awaiting another Dutch lobster volcano, and - POOF! You gotta feel like Twilight Zone! Want a nuoc mam martini?

Orcrone, I feel for ya man. There you were, innocently sitting in the main dining room, no pants, awaiting another Dutch lobster volcano, and - POOF! You gotta feel like Twilight Zone! Want a nuoc mam martini?
Well, instead of formal, I thought I would dress semi-formal.

Marc

Archived