Posted to tech board 1 reply/Can anyone help me with a 'puter question?

catmand

Five days ago AkaWanda and I set up a brand new computer...lots of speed, lots of HD room and ram. Our isp is comcast broadband. In using the old system I had very few problems with Cruise Critic, every once in a great while something screwy would happen:

NOW.....for the past couple of days when I have been on the boards, and this is only happening with CC,when I get to the "close this window" prompt after posting reply my screen freezes and I have to log off windows, the reply does post ok....also last night about 5-6 times as I was starting to post a reply my screen would "blank out" and the computer would shut off and restart, I would lose all of the underlined links just as if I cleared my history!

Is something like this happening to anyone? I know there have been lots of problems but I am getting very frustrated as it is taking twice as long to do anything on CC. The Host on the tech boards wrote it isn't CC and I should call my computer "geek" (my words)....before I call him: Do you think it is me or infopop?

PS.I REALLY appreciate any information you have, thank you. This is an addendum to my post of 3 minutes ago......IS IT ME? looked at the boards as soon as I posted the above and almopst all the threads are showing a -1 for views and there are also some old threads on page one! Gee and I was thinking it may be the new computer?????

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico

Next: Sapphire Princess 10/04 Mexico

7_2_117.gif

http://community.webshots.com/user/catmand100

Mercury Cruise Pic's 3/13/04

Catmand, I also have comcast broadband and have not experienced the problems you have indicated. Sometimes it's slow when posting but no blackouts or freezes. Though the boards have been acting weird the last week or so.

Rosie

Catmand,

I am also a comcast broadband user. I don't have any problems other than those everyone is complaining about and that I see from work.

CC is frequently not as fast as it used to be, but I haven't had any fatal hangs.

One trick I've used in troubleshooting computer problems is to eliminate items if I can. Why don't you try clearing out the icon and web link in your signature and see if that helps. Maybe there's a setting in windows on your new computer that doesn't like them. If that does it, at least you have something smaller to try to fix.

Bob

You can always go to the command bar and right click (right before the system tray). Pick task manager. You can then end the application without shutting down. It should say something like "not responding" if you need help picking out the offender.

George & MaryBeth

Thanks for your suggestions so far and since I posted my question I have not had the problem but I am sure it will happen again....I was on the phone with Comcast for 2 HOURS this morning! Now I know why I did not want to get a new system.

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico

Next: Sapphire Princess 10/04 Mexico

7_2_117.gif

• Administrators

What browser and version are you using? Do you have a FIREWALL installed? Are you using a POP UP BLOCKER? Windows XP?

Laura

Laura Sterling

Community Manager

Up4travel@aol.com

Cruise Critic

No one can make you feel inferior without your consent -Eleanor Roosevelt-

I was posting an answer to your question and this darn computer blacked out again! I removed my avatar and my animated cruise ship and I am now signing on to CC thru Yahoo instead of comcast......we will keep you posted!

Star Princess 9/03 Alaska

Celebrity Mercury 3/04 Mexico

Next: Sapphire Princess 10/2/04

Archived