Beach Pop Up Tent?

twopugs

Debating on bringing the Neat Sheet (beach blanket) and looking for a spot under the shade OR a buying a pop up beach tent. Either way, my son will be crawling all over the place but I thought the beach tent might be good if he gets a little sleepy.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good pop up beach tent that folds down small?

I had the one shown on the 2nd link above for our recent trip to St. Thomas with our 6 month old daughter. It folded fairly small, fit into our luggage fine. It is very light weight. Our DD didn't get even a tan. It worked great. She was able to take naps in it too. We put it in the shade. I was afraid of her over-heating. I would definately recommend it. I just saw one in the One Step Ahead catalog that looked really nice. You may want to check their website. The only complaint about the tent we used is that it would have been nice if I could have squeezed in there to nurse. It was too small for that. Good luck!

Debating on bringing the Neat Sheet (beach blanket) and looking for a spot under the shade OR a buying a pop up beach tent. Either way, my son will be crawling all over the place but I thought the beach tent might be good if he gets a little sleepy.

Does anyone have a recommendation of a good pop up beach tent that folds down small?

This is a great idea. Something I would never have thought of.

We have the Abogear Aerodome and love it. We live in FL so we go to the beach about every other weekend, it gets used every time. I'm still nursing so it gives us privacy and gives us a place for DS to nap. It's easy to set up and will fit into a suitcase and it's big enough for both my DH, DS, and I to sit under. Only thing is that it isn't a pop up but for us that's good becuase I hate those things, I can't ever get them back down! We got it on Ebay for around $45. Also the company customer service is outstanding, when we first got it we thought one of the poles was broken so we called and they sent us an entire new tent out and told us to keep the broken one so we ended up fixing the first one and got an extra one for later.

I brought one for my son when he was 11 months old and yes, he did crawl everywhere but when he was tired he passed out in the tent. a breeze goes right through it so you don't have to worry about them overheating. I still bring it to the beach for my daughter.

We have the Abogear Aerodome and love it. We live in FL so we go to the beach about every other weekend, it gets used every time. I'm still nursing so it gives us privacy and gives us a place for DS to nap. It's easy to set up and will fit into a suitcase and it's big enough for both my DH, DS, and I to sit under. Only thing is that it isn't a pop up but for us that's good becuase I hate those things, I can't ever get them back down! We got it on Ebay for around $45. Also the company customer service is outstanding, when we first got it we thought one of the poles was broken so we called and they sent us an entire new tent out and told us to keep the broken one so we ended up fixing the first one and got an extra one for later.

Sabbie,

A couple questions:

How's the ventilation? Just don't want it to turn into an oven while our son sleeps in it.

How portable is it?

Thanks,

Chris

OK - I can make a suggestion here as I'm always on the look-out for a good pop-up tent that is easily portable and opens and closes quickly. My vote is for the KWIK CABANA. It comes in a carry case with a shoulder strap. To set up, you just pull on two cords at the top and it pops right up. Unlike other pop-up type tents, however, you just need to hit the button on top for it to collapse - then you roll it up like an umbrella and slide it into its carrier.

No, I don't have a baby - that ship has sailed - but I travel with show cats and need to confine them in hotel rooms. Have tried many, many tents over the years and this one is the best ever - very sturdy for travel, too.

Sabbie,

A couple questions:

How's the ventilation? Just don't want it to turn into an oven while our son sleeps in it.

How portable is it?

Thanks,

Chris

Ventilation - There are mesh vents around the top of the tent and the front of the tent opens all of the way up. It can get a bit toasty if it is closed up all the way but we don't usually do that. When he is going down we might close up a portion of the doorway and then when he is sleeping we open it all the way so it can get plenty of air. We do also try to have the front of the tent facing the wind so there is lots of airflow. Even when I nurse I will just lay down with him facing the inside of the tent and we have privacy without closing it up and if he falls asleep nursing he is already laying down and I don't have to move him.

Portable - It fits in our large suitcase for the cruise and it's easy to get back in it's bag when you are done on the beach. I can send you pictures of us out on the beach with it to give you real perspective of what it looks like in real life.

Here is a picture of ours. I can't remember where online I bought it but it's one of those Kwik Cabanas a previous poster mentioned. I used it last summer too. The breeze passes through nicely and I even sat in it to breastfeed him last summer (I just fit but was comfortable enough). I don't have a picture of the bag but it's long and narrow, pops open and close in a few seconds, and very lightweight (lighter than an umbrella!).

NCLSamana3-25-08_16.jpg

Archived