Maui Snorkle Trip

2Xayear

With this search function not available, I have to resort to the old ways...:) and simply ask the question.

Any recommendations for a Snorkle trip during our stop in Maui next month? We have never done Molokini and hears it one of the better locations? Any thoughts and advice?

Bob

We snorkeled at Molokini at the end of February of this year and it was great. We saw tons of fish. I would recommend this excursion. We went with Pacific Whale Foundation, we took it through NCL. I have to say this was one of our favorite days, along with snorkeling in Kona with Captain Zodiac.:D

I understand that Pride of America will dock at Kahului, so how easy is it to go to the other side of Maui to the excusions offered by Pacific Whale Foundation? Does Pacific pick at the Kahului?

Thanks

No, Pacific Whale Foundation doesn't pick up pax at Kahului (unless they're booked on a ship excursion). I can't think of any snorkel companies that offer transportation from Kahului to Lahaina, Ma'alaea, or other west-side locations. (Although it's possible that there may be a couple that do pickup at the pier for Ma'alaea; I haven't specifically heard that any do.)

If you're leaving from Ma'alaea, it's an easy taxi ride of 20 minutes or so. If you're leaving from Lahaina, a taxi would be close to $150 r/t, so not a good option, IMO. The bus system is good, but might not work schedule-wise. There's only one bus per hour, so you could end up waiting around quite a bit. A rental car is a good option because it's not too expensive and gives you complete flexibility for the rest of your day.

Also, it would be helpful to know what kind of excursion you're looking for. There are the big "party" boats; there are smaller boats that still have the "party" feel; there's PWF, which has a naturalist onboard and is eco-oriented; there are a few dive/snorkel boats that are small and "simpler" (no bars, no water slides, no glass bottom viewing), but that concentrate on the snorkeling time and are usually less expensive than the big party boats. What appeals to your tastes?

beachchick

We are thinking of doing PAcific's Whale Watching and Snorkeling. If we take a taxi from pier to Maalaea, how much would it be round trip? May be we should rent a car and after the excursions, drive to Lahaina.

THanks

Yeah definitely do a boat trip out of Ma'alaea if you're docked in Kahului, would save a whole lot of driving time compared to Lahaina.

There's a lot of options to choose from like quicksilver, paragon, four winds.

Strongly recommend morning trip instead of an afternoon trip unless strong wind is somehow a good thing (maybe you want an exciting sailing experience on paragon?)

Ditto the OP; Pacific Whale Foundation was probably the best excursion we ever did in 21 cruises; and I see they've not added wine and Mai Tai's to the gratis beer menu!

Very knowledgeable folks on the boat and fabulous sights! Breakfast and lunch were pretty good, too!

Hm, I think a r/t taxi from Kahului pier to Ma'alaea might be about $50 or so. Really not outrageous if that's the only excursion you're planning on doing on your own. If you plan to explore the island, a rental car is really the only way to go.

I agree with MikeKaye (at least for the most part) about boat excursions out of Ma'alaea versus Lahaina if you're docked at Kahului. However, if you've got a rental car and want to see more of the island or visit west-side beaches, then Lahaina is fine too.

beachchick

It's a toss-up between the Ocean Odyssey with the Pacific Whale Foundation and the Four Winds II with Maui Classic Charters. Awaiting word from PWF on how one enters and exits the water as my wife isn't comfortable with snorkling in general and needs an easy way in and out. The Four Winds II offers a stairway into the water as well has a glass bottom for any in our group that may want a break and can still view without going into the water. Awaiting word also from MCC to confirm our am snorkle trip will finish in time for a 2:00 deaprture from Maui.

Regardless, I think we will have our trip booked shortly.

Also, we are booking a car as getting to and from the tour is too complicated and more costly without a rental car so we have rented a car and will tour Lahaina the day before. Anyone remember if you can park a car at the pier in Maui?

• Administrators
It's a toss-up between the Ocean Odyssey with the Pacific Whale Foundation and the Four Winds II with Maui Classic Charters. Awaiting word from PWF on how one enters and exits the water as my wife isn't comfortable with snorkling in general and needs an easy way in and out. The Four Winds II offers a stairway into the water as well has a glass bottom for any in our group that may want a break and can still view without going into the water. Awaiting word also from MCC to confirm our am snorkle trip will finish in time for a 2:00 deaprture from Maui.

Regardless, I think we will have our trip booked shortly.

Also, we are booking a car as getting to and from the tour is too complicated and more costly without a rental car so we have rented a car and will tour Lahaina the day before. Anyone remember if you can park a car at the pier in Maui?[/quote]

Technically yes, but it's a very hot frequent topic of discussion here. Even though search in general is down, you can still click "Search this Forum" and it works reasonably well. If you input "Maui parking" you will find lots of information on parking at Kahului, and the various strategies folks have used because parking there in fact is very limited and it gets quite crowded. We've had reports of cars being blocked in by other parked cars. Some folks just choose to do two separate single day car rentals to avoid it, or park overnight at the airport and take the rental car shuttle, but either of those would be a problem for you with an early morning excursion on Day 2.

PACIFIC WHALE!!!! use them for sure. They are a not for profit organization trying to save whales. Plus the two sites, Molikini and Mekena Beach were amazing. Sea turtles, manta ray, fish galore.

On the way out to Molikini (sp?) we saw at least a dozen whales (mid March).

They had a stairway to enter the water. They also had floatation devices for those who just wanted to swim.

Served a breakfast and a lunch afterwards. Best thing we did on our trip next to ziplining in Kauai.

Archived