Is Xi'an Worth the Time and Expense?

MalibuCA

SakeDad,

Great photos. I leave in 5 weeks for 7 China cities, 3 that you photoed so well.

What is your camera gear, if you don't mind?

I was thinking about going "point and shoot" only, but now you have spoiled that plan for me!

You had many great composition ideas, but your night time color management was also awesome. Where you overriding your flash much?

SakeDad,

Great photos. I leave in 5 weeks for 7 China cities, 3 that you photoed so well.

What is your camera gear, if you don't mind?

I was thinking about going "point and shoot" only, but now you have spoiled that plan for me!

You had many great composition ideas, but your night time color management was also awesome. Where you overriding your flash much?

THANKS!!! I use a Panasonic FZ20 which has amazing metering. There were also times I would use nighttime or nighttime portrait settings and they worked really well. For shows I set it on shutter priority +1 exposure and 1/125...then do post processing w/ Adobe CS2

You'll love/hate China, all depending on where you go and what you expect. Feel free to ask any questions and I hope to see a report when you get back!:D

If we skip the Tang Dynasty show, can you suggest a great restaurant in Xian with great food instead? We will be staying at the Sofitel.

Did you visit Xian and Guilin on a Crystal cruise excursion, by any chance, or on your own?

Shelley

If you decide to venture out Xi'an is extremely safe for walking in your hotel's area and there is an abundance of nightlife and eateries...just walk out the door to your right...to the park then make a left up the street where you'll see lots of neon. EXPLORE!!!:D

Thanks for the camera tips.

Even though it is my first trip to Asia, I am guilty of over prepping in my research. I already perceive I will have a love/hate reaction to China, with the only issue being which aspects go on which side of the ledger sheet!

While I have read enough trip reports, and now have looked at maybe a thousand of your photos :-) , I still like to travel with my eyes wide open.

I have also read and respect several of the other posters and threads who have become disenchanted with China, and acknowledge their misgivings as well. They have opened my eyes as well.

I am comfortable enough with my travel planning, (and am traveling with a native speaker), so I will often "head off for the neon" as opposed to sitting at the hotel bar. As I say about most of my iternational travel, if I want to be surrounded by Americans, I have a Walmart 10 min. away from my home.

Thanks for the camera tips.

Even though it is my first trip to Asia, I am guilty of over prepping in my research. I already perceive I will have a love/hate reaction to China, with the only issue being which aspects go on which side of the ledger sheet!

While I have read enough trip reports, and now have looked at maybe a thousand of your photos :-) , I still like to travel with my eyes wide open.

I have also read and respect several of the other posters and threads who have become disenchanted with China, and acknowledge their misgivings as well. They have opened my eyes as well.

I am comfortable enough with my travel planning, (and am traveling with a native speaker), so I will often "head off for the neon" as opposed to sitting at the hotel bar. As I say about most of my iternational travel, if I want to be surrounded by Americans, I have a Walmart 10 min. away from my home.

Sounds like you'll have a great trip. And we want to see the pics when you get back.:D

SakeDad,

I did think of a question... Did you have any experiences with getting a massage in China?

(Waiting for snickers to die down)... We all know the word massage can have different meanings :-)... Did you notice if they were mostly legit massages in the streetside places? I don't necessary need to pay for ultra spa ambiance, which means little to me... I'd rather have the expertise of a good "meseuse" than gold fixtures.

How would you go about getting the best value, without ending up in some wierd environment with some little guy with an eyepatch, smoking a long cigarette asking me in a language I don't understand if I was "looking for something more exotic?" (Sorry, just rewatched The Deerhunter the week).

Any practical advice?

SakeDad,

I did think of a question... Did you have any experiences with getting a massage in China?

(Waiting for snickers to die down)... We all know the word massage can have different meanings :-)... Did you notice if they were mostly legit massages in the streetside places? I don't necessary need to pay for ultra spa ambiance, which means little to me... I'd rather have the expertise of a good "meseuse" than gold fixtures.

How would you go about getting the best value, without ending up in some wierd environment with some little guy with an eyepatch, smoking a long cigarette asking me in a language I don't understand if I was "looking for something more exotic?" (Sorry, just rewatched The Deerhunter the week).

Any practical advice?

I didn't do it but a couple of others on our tour did. They loved the massages (legit) and they were only about $15 USD. There are MANY massage parlors around but feel free to ask your hotel concierge or a tour guide from that day to recommend one. While there are some with the "long cigarettes" it is by no means like Thailand where most are sexshops.:eek:

• 2 months later...

There is so much to do in Tokyo you should definitely save it for a separate trip. It is expensive but more like NYC than like London -- London is REALLY expensive. In Tokyo you can spend a whole lot of money if you want to but you don't have to.

Just back from China you can read my review posted in 2 parts -

Part 1 which is Korea & Japan & Shanghai is under the Rhapsody ofthe Seas

Part 2 whcih is the Yangtze River (Shanghai - Chongqing) Chongqing - Guilin - Xi'an - Beijing is posted under the Victoria Prince.

I would not recommend spending the time or money to visit Guilin

In Xi'an we did the Tang Dynasty Show but only the show had dinner in another restaurant that was very good. The show itself was colourful and interesting.

Skip the Museum

I enjoyed the city wall and seeing the Big Goose Pagoda

If you want my review with photos you can request it and I will e-mail it to you ann at century 21 vancouver dot com the photos would not transfer over to t he CC site.

• 2 weeks later...

if anyone is interested here are some more pictures of the Terra Cotta Warriors as well as the Big Wild Goose Pagoda.

If you have an opportunity to visit Xi'an, it is not to be missed. Certainly one of the highlights of my land tour to China a few years ago.

An extremely memorable experience.

Also, there are additional pictures in my signature below if anyone is interested.

515904418_China2005_413bw.jpg.4f6ea4850cc8decc271f608180010caf.jpg

72467497_China2005_445.jpg.63747cdaf8a2a4ed1ed864440a4e38f5.jpg

379905035_China2005_401.jpg.4b42fad50ce2c334fbac59649c3c0d53.jpg

During our last cruise, my folks flew from Shanghai to Xian for just the day. They left the ship around 6am and were back on board by 9pm. They were taken to airport, met at airport in Xian and had a private guide for entire day who then took them back to airport for flight back to Shanghai where they were again met. Don't remember price but it was reasonable. If you are interested, I can get you tour company they used. I am using www.explorient.com because others have had good experiences with them.

Marc

Hi,

My wife and I are cruising next February and are planning on having two and a half days prior to sail day in Beijing. We would like to do a similar one day trip to Xian and I was wondering, in general, about how much your parents paid for theirs? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mark

Hi Wripro,

If you are planning to fly to Xian for a day from Shanghai next year and only have two days in Shanghai, do it from Beijing (if that's where your cruise starts or finishes). Shanghai is amazing and one needs at least two days there to see the sights. We had the Concierge at our Beijing hotel arrange a day in Xian from Beijing. We flew early in the morning and came back late at night. They arranged a driver to pick us up at the hotel, drive us to the airport and then a guide to pick us up in Xian and take us Beijing airport for return to the hotel.

It was a wonderful day!!!!!

Sheila

Shiela,

I'm curious what hotel you stayed at in Beijing. As you can see from my above post, I'm looking at doing the exact thing you describe, so any information you could provide me would be a tremendous help. Thanks.

Mark

I contacted Explorient and they told me they do not do individual tours to Xian. They only take you as part of a whole China tour. Granted, I was inquiring about going from Shanghai so they may do it from Beijing. It's worth checking out.

• 2 weeks later...

Shelly, I noticed you are from S.Calif. I thought I would mention to you the warriors are on exhibit at the Bowers Museum in Santa Ana through the middle of Oct. If you have time you might enjoy a visit to the museum. We found the audio explanations interesting. We were in Xian last March and like everyone else was amazed by the archeology find. After watching "China" on the travel channel we only wish we had spent more time in Xian. We also bought one of the life-sized warriors while we were at the Xian terra cotta pits. They shipped it for us and it arrived in one piece.

Have a wonderful visit. We loved China

Lesley

Thanks, Lesley --

We did visit the Bowers to see the Warriors and thought that it was an outstanding exhibit. The audio was excellent, and I loved the way we could stand so close to the statues. It also helped us make our decision about going to Xian. My husband was really reluctant to add on the extra days after our cruise because he was going to be away from work for so long. After seeing the Warriors at the Bowers, we concluded that we had seen them. We know that we are missing the "wow" factor that we would get by seeing so many of the Warriors standing on guard together (not to mention seeing them in China!), but we will save it for another time. Thank you, and everyone else, too, for all of your kind advice.

Shelley

• 4 weeks later...
We were in China for 2 weeks. Beijing, Xi'an, Wuhan, Chungching, Yantze River, Shanghai. By far Xi'an was my favorite city. The rest of China (except Shanghai) was extremely polluted and gray:mad: . Xi'an reminded me more of small town's in Japan than China:) . The people were friendly, the terra cotta warriors were amazing and the country side was beautiful. If I ever go back to Chian Xi'an is at the TOP of my list.

I would forgo Tokyo for another trip, maybe Japan for a couple of weeks as the country is very easily toured by train.

You can see all my China pictures at the link below, but my Xi'an pictures start here http://sakedad.smugmug.com/gallery/904429_ahefA#P-53-9 We were with a small tour of 16 people so it was wonderful. Let us know what you decide to do.

Amazing photos! I looked at every one of them! Thank you for sharing and mostly for the laughs. Can't tell you enough how I enjoyed them. My boyfriend thought I was crazy as i laughed pretty hard every time I came across one of your funny captions. Need to remember how important captions are and what they do for the pictures and for the people who view them. Leaving for China this October.

Amazing photos! I looked at every one of them! Thank you for sharing and mostly for the laughs. Can't tell you enough how I enjoyed them. My boyfriend thought I was crazy as i laughed pretty hard every time I came across one of your funny captions. Need to remember how important captions are and what they do for the pictures and for the people who view them. Leaving for China this October.

You're welcome! And thanks for the fun comments!:D You will love China.

Archived