What's the Point?

sogamusicman

With AYW dining, I understand I can get the same food in Lido (or room service) as the Dining Room. With all the complaints I'm reading about slow, inconsistent waitstaff, what's the point of using the DR? This is our third cruise, and we rather enjoyed the dining experience before, but it always takes a couple of days to get 'comfortable' with fellow diners. Your thoughts?

Our experience was that the "slow, inconsistent waitstaff" was not anywhere near slow enough nor anywhere near inconsistent enough to be a significant concern. The pleasure of having someone serve you more than outweighed those minor issues.

With AYW dining, I understand I can get the same food in Lido (or room service) as the Dining Room. With all the complaints I'm reading about slow, inconsistent waitstaff, what's the point of using the DR? This is our third cruise, and we rather enjoyed the dining experience before, but it always takes a couple of days to get 'comfortable' with fellow diners. Your thoughts?

Like bicker and planetsis, we didn't have a problem with As You Wish Dining. Are you referring to the Open Seating or the Fixed Seating aspect of AYWD?

We had Open Seating. And it worked perfectly for us. Couldn't have asked for more.

I don't know if it is the same on all ships but I compared the posted Lido dinner menu with the dining room menu a couple of times on my last Westerdam cruise and the Lido was always missing 1 or more entree choices.

I don't know if it is the same on all ships but I compared the posted Lido dinner menu with the dining room menu a couple of times on my last Westerdam cruise and the Lido was always missing 1 or more entree choices.

While that may be true ... you do have the option of checking the menu for the main dining room before going to the Lido and requesting foods available in the main but not posted for the Lido. I have read on previous threads that the Lido staff will accommodate your wishes.

What's the point? For me it's having a civilized dinner served in an ambiance of gracious dining. I don't cruise to eat buffet style at dinner. I can do that at home much more economically. I want the leisurely aspect of dining with friends (old and new) and engaging in pleasant conversation. Hard to do in a buffet environment.

I noticed the food was the same too as the DR maybe missing one entree. I guess people eat in the Lido if they want to dress more casually and go when they feel like it. You have to order the entre from the attendant at the podium. I don't like that idea. It is not a buffet like on Royal Caribbean where eating in the Windjammer is worth it for all the wonderful choices.

You know that is one thing that Celebrity has dealt with wonderfully. They offered a true dinner at the table with tablecloths and candles (and wine steward) in a portion of their Lido aft. You made reservations in the morning. It was spectacular in Alaska in early summer as you had floor to ceiling windows to see the awesome passage through Alaska as you were served the same dinner as the main dining room, yet no requirement to dress formally. The experience was truly magcal and one that HAL could replicate easily.

Anytime Dining: I never waited not once. Went at different times. Ate in the Lido the majority of the day with the exception of dinner. Always got a table for just our family with the exception of twice. Anytime dining the greatest thing ever, especially with teens who never can be on time. Different waiters every night, different experiences, great job on the Noordam. Also I liked the surprise of the food, on the Lido they show you the different selections and it is not as appealing. I think its the presentation of the dining room that makes the food more appealing. Lido food I found good but not great. The dining rooms food I found GREAT.

The only advantage, in my opinion, to the dining room is that you have wait service. In the Lido it is buffet. Some people don't care to do buffets for dinner when they are on vacation.

But, you are right, the food is pretty much the same in both venues, though dinner service in the Lido is rather limited in terms of timeframe. I think it is only from like 5:30 to 7:00 or something like that.

Blue skies ...

--rita

Archived