Jacksonville booking Dec 2009

nodumblond

Here's a puzzlement:

Have been trying to keep an eye on inexpensive near-but-not-too-near Christmas sailings in December 2009 for my DH, who has some crazy idea that we're going to talk his extended family into trying a cruise together. Eight couples, four kids, and who knows who else will tag along.

Anywho, saw on a certain internet cruise site (begins with a v, ends with an o, dot com) that the Fascination in Jax has a five day to nassau and half moon cay on Dec 12 for a rate so scandalous, we might splurge and get a balcony room for the first time.

I'm one of those do-it-ourselfers: research/book my own cruise, research/book my own plane tickets, research/book my own travel insurance. You get the idea.

But Carnival doesn't have the sailing listed yet -- they're only booking for Jacksonville until Sept 09, and doesn't offer this itinerary after Mar 09!

I dread calling a 'funship representative' -- as it is, they call me every time I research a fare -- but is this some kind of red flag, do you think? You can understand the pressure I'm under, booking first-time cruises for in-laws. :p

Any thoughts? It would be a fabulous introduction, if it holds.

I love HMC so much! I was trying to plan a cruise for next December (I really shouldn't cruise twice a year), and was going to do Legend Western.

When I saw the Fascination move to Jax and the 5-day with 2 days at sea that was going to HMC, I totally changed my plans.

So I have to sail twice this year after all! To help offset the cost, I'm driving to Florida. Don't want to, but can't find cheap air anywhere.

I got a great rate for the Fascination. $299 each for a 4A with a past-guest upgrade to 4C. I'm perfectly happy with inside cabins. I booked within 60 days of my Miracle cruise, so got $50 off, too! Total (including taxes and fuel) is only about $67 pp/per day. Not including tips, of course. Just can't beat that price! That price was by calling Carnival and was lower than anything I found online.

So, no shore excursions, no airfare, great rate on a Fantasy-class ship (I love them) going to HMC. I'm delighted!

Sometimes on the Carnival site, if you go to Find A Ship, then choose it, and click on FInd Itineraries and it will show you a line for each year...and at the far right it will say MORE..Click on more and it will show you all the cruise dates for the ship in that year...it is the only way I have found to see dates in later 2009 and 2010. HTH:)

How's your take on working with PVPs versus just booking on the website? Any positives (other thank talking with a live human being :p )?

We love working with our PVP when we are booking the whole family (there are 9 of us in three separate families ~ my in-laws). The PVP can recommend different rooms, booking past guests (your family) with others traveling in your party to save money (it can be done and you change room keys and/or cards at the purser's desk).

We are thinking of the same cruise for the week after Christmas. Good luck with what you decide.

The cruise we just booked for September 2009 is the first one that I have used a PVP and so far it's been great. We were flexible on our dates and I told him I wanted the date with the very best military discount. It was so good we ended up booking a balcony instead of an OV!

NCTribe--Am I missing something? How did you get an additional $50 off for booking within a certain time of a previous cruise? Is this something new that I haven't heard about?

Thanks!

Has anyone ever heard of getting a discount like NCTribe mentions?

After our last two cruises we got an email for $50 off if we booked another within 30 days. The problem was we were already booked for the next cruise prior to leaving on the one they sent the email after and wouldn't honor it since it was for "new bookings only."

I am hoping to get another one this year so I can book our 2009 cruise in August or so.

we did the 5 day from jax last january and it was great. the celebration was sailing then so it is exciting they are changing the ship (the celebration was fine and we had a great time but if we do it again it will be a nice change of scenery) anyway - the itenerary is perfect for first timers - my dh had never cruised before. embark and debark from jax were super smooth, parking was a breeze and it was a pretty ideal experience all the way around - hope you guys have a great time!!

Watch for a Welcome Home email. It will mention the discount and the time limit to get it. We always book with a PVP, and I think the email comes from him, but it might be from Carnival.

Archived