Does Celebrity allow you to carry on wine?

skyking

Hello All,

We are about to embark on our first Celebrity cruise, and I am very excited. What I wanted to know is do they allow you to carry on a limited amount of wine? They seem much more lax on things, especially since they have a mini bar in the cabin's stocked with mini bottles. Just wondering....Thanks!

Tim

That's right! We took a few bottles and purchased some Fresca prior to boarding, so I could make wine spritzers for the cabin and balcony.

If you booked a CC, you will also have a bottle of champagne waiting on you in the cabin. :D I ordered room service OJ and made Mimosa's

If I have two bottles of wine in my bags and my husband has 2 in his bag, how does Celebrity keep track of that? Especially if our bags come through at different times, which most likely happens since there are so many bags being processed at the same time?

Or if you have two bottles in your carry on and two in your luggage?

I am not trying to argue here, but rather understand the workings of their enforcing this 2 bottles per cabin rule.

Technically you are allowed two bottles per cabin. BUT, it seems to depend on where you depart from. On our last Celebrity cruise out of San Diego, I wheeled a case of older wine from our cellar on board as we checked in and walked on. No one cared. There have been posts on this board at other ports about Celebrity being VERY uptight on this issue.

Ya rolls the dice and takes your chances. sigh

Stupid question but how about the cork screw to open. Do they have them in the room. We are flying and I am sure the airlines would not like a cork screw in my suit case??

Thanks

Pattie

Your steward will supply you with a corkscrew if one is not already in the room. However, unless your suitcase is carry on, you would have no problem with a corkscrew in it.

We just returned from Summit. They allowed 2 bottles of wine per cabin and liquor from the duty free store only if you put it in your carry-on before boarding. No liquor after you board and if you get off the ship prior to sailing.

Happy Sailing

Stupid question but how about the cork screw to open. Do they have them in the room. We are flying and I am sure the airlines would not like a cork screw in my suit case??

Thanks

Pattie

You can carry just about anything onto an airplane, in your checked luggage....dive knives, guns, and certainly cork screws. :D It's the carry on luggage that is severely restricted.

I have a "cruising bag" that I put into my checked luggage for ever cruise, that has all kinds of items I might need on a cruise.....scissors, cork screw, bungee cord, hole punch, duct tape, extra lanyards, glue, post-it notes, pens, markers, cards, etc. I never unpack the bag at home, always keep it ready to go!!

More and more of the top quality wines are going to screw caps. All of the wonderful New Zealand Sauvignon Blanc's are under screw caps. Ditto for some of Australia's best reds (Kay Brothers, Seppelt St. Peters Shiraz) It appears to be the coming trend. Corkscrews just might reach the same status as shoe button hooks or rotary telephones.

Definitely take a cork screw if you plan on taking on wine. None in the rooms.

As far as taking wine or whatever on board Celebrity says 2 bottles per stateroom at embarkation. What we have found is that after that there is a warning in the daily newsletter when in port "No duty free alcohol may be brought on board". So we didn't, instead we would hit a local grocery store and pick up some local beer/wine. And Celebrity had no problem with that (or the amounts).

Keep in mind your mileage may very. Both of these were 14 day cruises last year, one through the can and one transatlantic. They might not be as kind on a 7 day carribean trip during spring break or summer time.

Most people that pack wine, wrap it well in bubble wrap and then put it in a zip top bag. Then pack it into space between t shirts, shorts, whatever. Some are packing box wine now too. My husband usually buys a few "airplane" size special liquors wraps them, and slides them in his shoes.

My concern would be the extra weight in the luggage. If you can buy it at your embarking port and get it in your bag then, you wouldn't have the extra weight problem.

When embarking, the wine does not have to be in your luggage as you are allowed 2 bottles at embarkation. You can purchase the wine at your embarkation port and carry it on in a bag, box, loose whatever. You can also roll the dice and purchase wine at other ports and see what happens.

Archived