What to wear at night? - early Oct Med. cruise

My husband and I are going on a 12 night Mediterranean cruise, in early October of this year.

For the formal nights, how warmly will we need to dress? Could I wear some nice, formal, summery dresses? Or, will they need to be something warmer? I'm seeing some nice dresses in the stores right now (longer, but light-weight and very short sleeves), but I'm not sure if they will be appropriate?

Thanks for any input that you can provide!

Thanks!

Lisa

I was there at that time in 2006 and it was warm and comfortable in the Med. never "hot".On one formal night i wore a black halter style dress.I did have a shawl with me in case i got a little cold but dont recall ever needing it inside. I did not go outside that night so i would image you may need something lightweight just in case.

On the second formal night we all aet at the Supper Club and i wore black dressy pants with a beaded semi-sleevless top.Again i needed nothing on my arms.So to answer your question i think you will be fine with what you have in mind.

We cruised the Med in middle October to first of November 2007. Our table was next to the front windows and everyone at our table was freezing, even the men in their coats. We had to have the waiters close the blinds. Take a pashmina (or buy some at your ports) and you will probably be fine. I always think they keep the restaurants and the theater cold though.

A pashmina or other type of shawl - may come in handy for visiting some places (churches...) doesn't take up much room, can come in handy on deck when there is wind!

Sorry, I forgot to add, depending on the dress - pack a light dress jacket that might go with it, then consider what also goes with the jacket - it really all depends on the seating (if near AC units or other drafty areas, and how sensitive one is to such...you can always carryit and not wear it if not necessary). Quite a few will be wearing more summery dresses and hoping for the best...important is to be comfortable.

• 3 months later...

I've looked up the October temps in the Mediterannean ports we'll be stopping at, and it looks like the temps range from 50-70... which makes packing a little challenging...

Any suggestions on how warm to dress on the excursions? Would short sleave shirts and capris work, if I brought with a light jacket? Could my husband wear shorts on the casual tours and be comfortable?

How cold does it get outside on deck? Will we pretty much always need long pants and a jacket?

Thanks!!

As a FYI, many places in Europe - mostly religious, do not allow shorts. We're on the Oct 1st Freedom sailing and I plan to wear layers and be prepared for all conditions short of winter weather.

I'm a bit surprised at the statement that many of the ports and tourist venues prohibit shorts. I can understand churches and religious sites not permitting them but seriously, do museums and other tourist-related sites maintain such a dress code?

I'm a bit surprised at the statement that many of the ports and tourist venues prohibit shorts. I can understand churches and religious sites not permitting them but seriously, do museums and other tourist-related sites maintain such a dress code?

No, they don't. We've travelled extensively in Europe and the only places we've ever known to have not permitted shorts (knee-length shorts on men are fine) are churches. If we know we are going to visit a church I always wear a pair of capris or a skirt.

Ros

I did a Med cruise in october about 4 years ago and it was at least 75 the entire time, and aften 80. I never needed a jacket or sweater in the day time at all. It can vary though, so I would recommend packing a light jacket just in case. Also a lightweight waterproof jacket for possible rain showers.

quote=XFed2001 I'm a bit surprised at the statement that many of the ports and tourist venues prohibit shorts. I can understand churches and religious sites not permitting them but seriously, do museums and other tourist-related sites maintain such a dress code?

No, as I mentioned, it is mostly religious, but since there are so many religious sites to see I like to be prepared. Capri's are fine - anything that covers your knees and also make sure to have something to cover your shoulders if you are going sleeveless. Also, there are many restaurants where I personally don't feel comfortable in shorts. Just my opinion on this, but I always try to avoid anything that screams "American tourist", and I think shorts pretty much fit that image.

No, they don't. We've travelled extensively in Europe and the only places we've ever known to have not permitted shorts (knee-length shorts on men are fine) are churches. If we know we are going to visit a church I always wear a pair of capris or a skirt.

Ros

Can my husband get into the Vatican and other cathedrals in Rome in knee length shorts?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived