Brunch suggestions Mother's Day in Oahu?

cruzingrama

Hey all, we'll be doing our 4 days pre-cruise in Oahu and thought we'd catch Sunday brunch somewhere. It was later when we connected the dots and realized it was Mother's Day. Anyway, we're a group of 6 adults + 1 toddler. We are looking for suggestions for brunch. We'll have a car, so it can be anywhere on the island. We generally want to know where the locals would go, but we'll take all suggestions.

Thanks in advance.

My family usually does a brunch buffet for Mother's Day. We like the Banyan Tree Veranda (Westin Moana), Plumeria Cafe (Kahala), John Dominis, and Sam Choy's (Kapahulu Avenue location). If you decide on the Banyan Tree Veranda, make sure they are open as they were under renovations. Res is a must. Orchid's at the Halekulani is my number one pick, but there's no way you can get a res at this time. If a buffet is not your preference, Roy's is great.

Aloha

If you can't get Orchids http://www.halekulani.com/dining/orchids/ then either John Dominis http://www.johndominis.com/sunday_brunch.htm or Sam Choy's http://www.samchoy.com/restaurants_dh_menu_brunchs.html sound good. The views from John Dominis sound really good, but Sam Choy sounds like it would be more Hawaiian fare. So I guess my order preference is Orchids, John Dominis, then Sam Choy.

OK, Mother #2 has spoken. Now back to Mother #1.

Mother's Day res for Orchids are made a year in advance (yes, really!), so no way are you going to get it now. I just made res yesterday for my family at Sam Choy's. I believe they still had res openings. John Dominis is great also, especially if you like seafood. My only complaint about JD is that they really pack 'em in.

View-wise, JD would be better. Sam Choy's has zero view. Another place that comes to mind is the Plumeria Cafe at the Kahala Hotel (buffet). Gorgeous oceanviews. To get there, you pass through the residential neighborhood of Kahala, so you get to see how the affluent live in Hawaii.:D

I couldn't find Plumeria Cafe buffet on the internet. I found regular menu, so I think I got the place right. It did look lovely.

Maybe, since you seem familiar with all the presented options, I'll ask your opinion on which place would offer the best options for the non-seafood fan. I'm going to try and have a "When in Rome..." attitude, but I'm not a seafood fan. I've always lived in Kansas where seafood is never fresh, so perhaps that taints my view when I say, "I don't like seafood." Anyway, I want to make sure there are enough non-fishy options just in case I try fresh and still don't like it. (Incidentally, I'm not the only one in the party who will be glad to see non-sea options.) So, do any of the presented options come to mind with this new criteria?

I couldn't find Plumeria Cafe buffet on the internet. I found regular menu, so I think I got the place right. It did look lovely.

Maybe, since you seem familiar with all the presented options, I'll ask your opinion on which place would offer the best options for the non-seafood fan. I'm going to try and have a "When in Rome..." attitude, but I'm not a seafood fan. I've always lived in Kansas where seafood is never fresh, so perhaps that taints my view when I say, "I don't like seafood." Anyway, I want to make sure there are enough non-fishy options just in case I try fresh and still don't like it. (Incidentally, I'm not the only one in the party who will be glad to see non-sea options.) So, do any of the presented options come to mind with this new criteria?

Hi again, can you tell I like to eat out?!:D Sorry, I misspoke when I said Plumeria Cafe . . . it's called Plumeria Beach House and if you google - Plumeria Beach House at the Kahala - you will see a sample menu - looks like 50-50 on the seafood and meat selections. It is a beautiful, "OMG, I'm in Hawaii!" kind of setting, and I think your group would enjoy it. I believe that would be my pick for you. If you are looking for non-buffet options, I can suggest other venues.

Aloha

Thanks for the clarification. It helped me find it. http://www.kahalaresort.com/dining/plumeria-beach-house.cfm The pictures do look like a beautiful Hawaiian setting.

Actually, you had the right idea with brunch-buffet. Thanks for all the good suggestions. They're exactly what we were looking for. Maybe some of the rest of the group would like to comment since I did the link research??? Ski ninja? Cruizingrama? Mile-high? Anyone?

We had the best Sunday brunch ever at the Oceanarium. It's in one of the hotels on Waikiki. Zero exterior view but HUGE aquarium inside. We had the diver hold up a sign saying happy b-day to my mom ($20 extra but so very cool). Best oysters, crab legs, shrimp ever. Omeletes, sushi, lots of meat and seafood choices. Lots of desserts. Sorry can't remember the name of the hotel. Don't have my tour books handy and no memory this a.m.

• 1 month later...

Reporting back: Sam Choy's was a great choice! All the food was great and they gave us the table in the back of the boat! My DD was thrilled. She got to sit on the bench of the boat yet we were far enough away from the "drive the boat" seat that we could enforce the "finish you brunch before you can drive the boat" rule. Aloha Gal, you had a great suggestion. Thanks!

Archived