Tower of London, Silversea private visit off

mrscrab

We arrive on Silver Wind to London's Tower Bridge May 21st. Well advertised in the brochures is the private evening visit to see the Crown Jewels - a Silver Collection Excursion. I have heard nothing of this visit since booking our cruise so contacted Silversea last week. They say due to circumstances beyond their control this visit is no longer available. This wonderful evening was advertised for five voyages ours being 2815.

We were not advised by Silversea of this cancellation and we feel we have been mislead. I am wondering what other CC members thoughts are on this subject.

We have always been so happy with Silversea and have never had complaints but feel we should have been notified in this instance as it was one of the reasons we chose this cruise.

Well depending on when they got the message they should have probably told the passengers. But if it is beyond their control it is hard to blame them. We will be in London aswell end of August with the Silver Wind but I am not bothered to much about this cancellation of the Tour. There are so many other things to do and see in London.

We'll be on the same trip. I imagine that SS intended to book an "exclusive" evening visit to the Tower/Jewels, but somebody else got there first or with a bigger booking -- it's possible to rent the whole Tower for an event.

It might be possible to DIY a visit if you're quick. The ship is due to arrive at Tower Pier, right opposite the Tower of London, at 4.15 PM. If you are able to get off right away (bearing in mind that you have to take a tender across the river to Tower Pier), you are close to the Tower entrance. Last entry is 5 PM and the internal buildings close at 5.30 PM. You won't have time for an exhaustive tour, but many people spend less than 90 minutes visiting the Tower. According to the web site, if the Crown Jewels are your priority, they take about 20 minutes to visit. http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/planyourvisit/suggesteditineries.aspx

Map of the Tower: http://www.hrp.org.uk/Resources/Tower%20of%20London.pdf

You might just make it! (BTW entry to the Tower is quite expensive at GBP 16.50 each, and it can seem crowded at any time of year.)

Thanks for that, we will try but by the time officials come on board and clear the ship we would really be pushing to get there for 5pm. I am wondering if you were told the visit was off?

If you're free in the evening, you might try the Ceremony of the Keys:

http://www.hrp.org.uk/TowerOfLondon/WhatsOn/ceremonyofthekeys.aspx

Ideally, you should reserve at least two months in advance, but it won't hurt to try. And while the ceremony won't get you into the Crown Jewels, visiting the Tower grounds at night is a pleasant (and uncrowded) experience.

Thankyou for all your suggestions. We have thought seriously about this. We do feel cheated but have decided to meet friends who get married the following week. We will be attending their wedding and apart from the visit to see the Crown Jewels is the reason for being in the UK in May/June. A long flight from Australia but I am sure it will be well worth it.

JCGibbs - if you were on the crossing last Sept/October please do make yourselves known - we are Beverley and Cliff from Perth.

Archived