What to do in San Juan with young ones??

Suzanne74

I am debating between a Mariner cruise (CocoCay, St Thom, St Martin) and a Liberty cruise (San Juan, St Martin, Labadee)

Since they are both the same price and we have been on the Navigator, I am really leaning on the Liberty for the H20 zone for my daughter 6 and her cousins 4 and 6. BUT... the itinerary stinks!

San Juan from 3-11pm - what can we do with the kids? I have done my research and can't find much. If we had another port, I would have no problem sitting this one out but that would be only 2 ports for us.:(

Any ideas???

Being in San Juan from 3--11 might be hard with kids. You could walk around old town, maybe do the forts for a little while if the kids are up to that, but, obviously night life would not be an option for you, so I don't think this is a great stop.

My kids DS-9 and DD-7 love the forts. We have been there many times. The love going into the turrets. Some are very small and big enough for kids only. We have pictures from every year we went. ALso, the far fort has a large graasy area with sloping hill. Kids love to roll down it., run around, or fly a kite. There are usually vendors selling snow cones.

You can take the free trolley to the forts. You should have time to see one.

We will walk down to hill through town. My kids love Del Sol( store- things change color under sunlight). Horse drawn carriage ride through downtown.

There is a great walk way that runs next to the shoreline.

I agree, either fortress in San Juan would be great for kids. We took our daughter to both El Morro and San Cristobal fortress earlier this month and she did fine. I would say that el Morro would be the better choice just because of the huge grass field out front. You can actually walk around the old city wall right along the water from the cruise ship docks to El Morro which is a lot nicer than walking through the city to get there.

I concur with everyone about the large grassy area in front of El Morro. We packed collapsible kites, and our kids had a blast. This area is available even if the fort is closed. You can even have a picnic there. Or, after the kids have run around a bit, as someone else suggested, you can walk back to the port through the old town, and stop somewhere for a nice dinner.

Whatever you decide, have a great time!:)

San Juan is great with kids. The Fort at El Morro is nice. If you walk there from the ship, you will come to a public park area across the street from El Morro. There is a fountain that the kids can run and play in. We went to the fort and then on the way back I allowed my son to kick off his shoes and run through the fountain with the local children. It was a blast!

Another nice place to go is the Governor's Palace. It is very near the pier and has free tours twice daily. You'll have to check the times because if the ship doesn't get in until 3PM- the tours might be over.

As for nightlife. You can leave the kids on the ship and go for a dinner in San Juan. That would be alot of fun. San Juan has old world charm IMO.

Maybe someone can help me out on this one. I seem to remember a lady and her daughter telling me on a cruise that they had done an excursion in San Juan at night that involved Kayaking and bugs that lit up at night that are only found in that area. Anyway your children may be too young for that. We did the night tales walk where they give you a lantern and you walk old San Juan and the tour guide showed us buildings that were closed but the guards let her in and she told us old tales about soldiers etc. it was very good but again they may be too young for that as well. Isle Verde beach is very close to the port so you could taxi to it and go swim for a while, come back have dinner and tour the old city by carriage.

Karysa

Hi! I've never done it, but I believe you are talking about the Bioluminescence (sp?) tour. There is a minimum age, as I recall.

Yes, that is the one. They loved it. I can see why there would be a minimum age as it is kayaking at night.

I wonder if there are any dancing shows like the one they used to have in Costa Maya? Children may enjoy something like that.

Karysa

Thanks all for the ideas. We booked the Liberty for 5/24

I think we will do El Morro. Does anyone know when it closes? We don't dock until 3pm. I think we will back on the boat before 2nd seating though so El Morro, kite flying, fountain playing all sounds great. :)

Given the age of the kids San Cristobol may be a better choice. It has a couple of educational displays (old canon, mock up of a barracks room, etc), there are ramps to get up to the battlements, a canon ball stack, a couple of lookout posts, etc. This fort is much larger and therefore roomier. (Just don't let your kids climb into the gun crenelations.) It's also nearer the pier.

El Morro, while more dramatic, features some very steep stair cases. There is, however, a long grassy field between the fort and the rest of the city. This is where one will see all the kites being flown.

We did both forts in the same day on our cruise last month. However, we were there at 8:00am in the morning so had plenty of time. We did San Cristobal in the morning, back to the ship for lunch and then El Morro in the afternoon. If you are not getting in until 3:00pm then you will probably only have time to visit one or the other, given the time that they close.

We had a 1 year old in a stroller with us and were able to easily get around both forts. There are stairwells in both, but there are also ramps connecting the various levels. San Cristobal is definately closer (you can see it from the cruise ship dock), but El Morro is much more spectacular and worth the walk if you have the time. I don't know how far they are apart, but you can see one from the other. I would guess they are probably a mile apart if that.

Here is link to a few pictures we took on our cruise last month. Go to the second page for the San Juan pictures.

http://web.mac.com/seacruise/Cruises/March_08_Westerdam.html

It's true about El Morro - when we were there with our then 2.5 and 6.5 year olds, I wouldn't let the 2.5 year old explore beyond the level with the gift shop and movie theater. DH stayed with her (the movie room is air conditioned:p), and I went with the 6.5 year old. He was fine, although I was constantly cautioning him to be careful - but I'm uber-anxious that way. He loved poking around. That said, it is not even remotely child-proof and extreme vigilance is required.

Editing, as I realized it could be interpreted that I was implying that broberts word could not be taken as the truth - not my intention, just wanted to add our experiences, because he does bring up a very good point!

Are they close together? Could I do both or at least do San Cristobol and then go fly kites near El Morro?

El Morro is about a 10 - 15 minute walk from San Cristobal. Depending on the time of year, i.e. sunset time, you could probably do both. I don't recall seeing any kite vendors around El Morro, but I wasn't looking for one. So, you may want to take your own. Perhaps someone else can comment on kite availability.

I am going to bring 1 or 2 kites - the small cheap ones and just not open them until we get there. We are going in May, docking at 3pm so I think we will go to El Morro first since it is open until 6pm and then if we decide to leave early, we will take a look at San Cristobol on the way back or just wander around. I am planning on being back on the ship no later then 7:30pm for our late seating dinner. Last time we were in San Juan we were all sick so I don't want to chance eating there again.

Thanks all. :)

Archived