Jewelry Stolen on NCL Star

O2Bcrusin

Beware of checking in any luggage with jewelry. I had mine stolen out of a piece of baggage I checked in. Thank goodness I had just replaced the diamond with a cz but it was gold with four small diamonds. This was not a good way to start a cruise and was quite a hassel. The cruise line did nothing but make a report and search my room (thinking it may have fallen out). I knew that wasn't the case because I took my suitcase from the luggage cart, opened it and knew something was wrong when my jewelry case was open. I just think the cruise lines need to be aware that this sort of thing is happening at their ports. My guess is when they searched for liquor they saw the case and took advantage of the situation. There were some other fake items in there but nothing else was taken. Not sure if they have a way of knowing the real thing.

for future reference and a general rule of thumb...never put jewelry (i don't even put the fake stuff in there) in your check luggage. whether airlines/cruises, etc. always keep important papers and vaulables with you.

once you are on the ship, you can put them in your cabin's safe. untill them, they stay in the carry-ons.

NCL doesn't open luggage to check to alcohol. if they see something in the x-rays, they ask you to go to the naughty room and you open for them to inspect.

the porters, often, see the x-rays...if they see something interesting and the luggage isn't locked...well, let's just say that most of them may be honest, but not all of them.

sorry you lost your stuff...i had a bracelet fall off recently, i treasured that thing and have no idea where i lost it...heartbroken over that.

carry-ons: jewelry, cash, important papers and ID, meds, car keys (many have addresses or personal information on the key chains)

My jewelry is ALWAYS in my carry on;)

Many, many years ago, I left my carry on with all of my expensive jewelry on a plane during a business trip.

A kind gentleman, who sat next to me on the plane, carried the case to the luggage area to find me...boy, was I lucky!

A lesson learned:)

Yes, lessens learned can sometimes be hard to take.:( My daughter was in a huge hurry once and forgot, put her jewlery roll in her suitcase coming off an RCI ship. We stayed at a hotel post cruise and didn't fly directly home so suitcase went with us directly to hotel where she found her jewlery roll gone. So she knew it was stolen somewhere between her cabin and coming off the ship. And it was her good stuff!

It's heartbreaking because for me, most of my good stuff has sentimental value, as well, my daughter's did. I would rather have gone back to the port, found the person, and gave him the couple hundred dollars it might have been worth just to get the jewlery back.

Beware of checking in any luggage with jewelry. This is known and advised all over the place....I'm sorry you didn't know. The cruise line did nothing but make a report and search my room (thinking it may have fallen out). I'm sure they did all they could..how many times do you think they have actually found that missing piece under a bed? It happens. And I'm sure you would have been very happy had they found it there. I just think the cruise lines need to be aware that this sort of thing is happening at their ports. They are aware, just as airlines know it happens at the airports. This is why you carry-on your valuables, medicines etc...ALWAYS! But the pier/airport tarmac employees don't work for the cruise lines or airines so there is little they can do. My guess is when they searched for liquor they saw the case and took advantage of the situation. Did you have liquor? Why do you think the cases were searched? There were some other fake items in there but nothing else was taken. Not sure if they have a way of knowing the real thing. Thieves always know what to take....that's what makees them good at what they do.

Contrary to my comments I do feel very bad that you lost something. But hopefully this will serve as a lesson for all who see this. DO NOT PACK ANYTHING YOU CAN'T LOSE IN YOUR CHECKED BAGS!!!! EVER!!! I hope you enjoyed the rest of your trip.:cool:

So she knew it was stolen somewhere between her cabin and coming off the ship.

I'm curious, was this put in the hallway the night before? I always get scared to put my stuff in halls as anyone can come by and snag a suitcase, go through it, replace it back in the hall and no one would know. They sit there for hours sometimes. It can actually be other passengers taking it.:eek:

You should leave your good jewelry, and your sentimental jewelry at home and only take your costume pieces that you would not be heartbroken to lose. Nobody on the ship is gonna know if it's real or not anyway, or even care. My sister learned this the hard way and passed it along to me. Not that I have anything really valuable; but, I do have sentimental pieces.

Sorry for your losses.

My jewelry is ALWAYS in my carry on;)

Many, many years ago, I left my carry on with all of my expensive jewelry on a plane during a business trip.

A kind gentleman, who sat next to me on the plane, carried the case to the luggage area to find me...boy, was I lucky!

A lesson learned:)

Same here....I actually keep it in my laptop case. Then tranfer to the safe. My Laptop is my baby and never leaves my site;)

I'm curious, was this put in the hallway the night before? I always get scared to put my stuff in halls as anyone can come by and snag a suitcase, go through it, replace it back in the hall and no one would know. They sit there for hours sometimes. It can actually be other passengers taking it.:eek:

I know, it always makes me leary too. Yes, it was put out the night before that's why I said we knew it was stolen somewhere between her cabin and coming off the ship. Could have been in the hall. As I said, she knew better, but it was a mistake because she was in such a rush and wasn't thinking. And it only takes that one lapse in judgement to give crooks their moment of opportunity.

I know there have been discussions before about putting it all out in the hall, don't know what the cruise lines can do other than begin collecting it earlier and actually have set times they will come by and pick it up. Then again, that leaves us in the evening with having fun on the last night and having to get back to the room. I don't know how they could do it, but it would sure alleviate some anxiety from most. I know I'm releived when I look out and see it gone, I feel safer when it's not there.

I am going to start using those zip tie things I've seen people talk about. That would keep it closed, not that anyone couldn't cut if off if they had a pair of scissors or something else sharp, but most times they won't go through the trouble and move on to the next easy one. That would at least make me feel better about it sitting in the hallway.

I am going to start using those zip tie things I've seen people talk about. That would keep it closed, not that anyone couldn't cut if off if they had a pair of scissors or something else sharp, but most times they won't go through the trouble and move on to the next easy one. That would at least make me feel better about it sitting in the hallway.

Valuables should be with you in your carry-on - at all times. Just like your medications;)

At least if you saw it cut when you claimed it you would know there was a problem before ever leaving.

My next cruise is a 3 night repo so luckily I'm carrying everything on. I have a great backpack that holds ALOT but also rolls and fits into the airlines overhead (barely:rolleyes:) I think I'll try to do as many carry-on cruises as I can in the future.

Valuables should be with you in your carry-on - at all times. Just like your medications;)

No, no, no, not for the valuables. They are with me in carry-on. I was talking about the luggage we put outside the doors. Of course this is possibly where my daughters got taken, but as I mentioned she knew not to pack them but was in a rush and mistakingly did. I was talking about the zip tie things and luggage in general outside the door.:)

They have locks that TSA can open if you are flying; I don't mean for valuables, I mean for everything in your suitcase. It helps when you have to put your suitcase outside the door the night before. Better than those zip ties that can be cut. We have several.

Mine was taken between giving it to the porter and it being delivered to my room.

You should leave your good jewelry, and your sentimental jewelry at home and only take your costume pieces that you would not be heartbroken to lose. Nobody on the ship is gonna know if it's real or not anyway, or even care. My sister learned this the hard way and passed it along to me. Not that I have anything really valuable; but, I do have sentimental pieces.

Sorry for your losses.

I usually wear the only good jewelry I have. Most of what was in that case was just costume jewelry thank goodness. I had gotten a new ring and my jeweler said he would replace a diamond I had taken out with a CZ. I guess it fooled the theif. The only thing was that it was gold with a couple of small diamonds.

At least if you saw it cut when you claimed it you would know there was a problem before ever leaving.

My next cruise is a 3 night repo so luckily I'm carrying everything on. I have a great backpack that holds ALOT but also rolls and fits into the airlines overhead (barely:rolleyes:) I think I'll try to do as many carry-on cruises as I can in the future.

After this I am packing lighter and carrying on. Not worth the chance of having things taken.

Why would you replace a cz for a diamond in a valuable ring? Am I in another realm; and I don't even know exactly what that means. What did you do with the valuable diamond, put it in a 10kt setting??

Clue us in how you use these on luggage. We will take our luggage with us when we leave the ship so we goto our shuttle to go to the airport. No carousel hassles. Since we can stay in our stateroom til they call our tag color.

Sorry to hear about this incident but it sounds like a lesson learned. Did you go to the front desk to fill out an incident report? I know they have them. If you took out travel insurance check the policy because some cover these types of things. If not your home owners should cover it. Still does not take away from feeling violated and can really never take the place of the jewerly but at least it is something to fall back on.

There is little the ship can do but take an incident report. We were on the Zenith and my aunt lost the diamond out of her engagement ring. They took the incident report and she turned it into the insurance.

The insurance company paid for the lost diamond.

Archived