Jewelry Stolen on NCL Star

O2Bcrusin

I, too, am sorry for your lose. Sometimes we have to learn the hard way...I know I have.

As far as the "attitude" that seems to be fairly common on these boards. :mad: I just ignore them, knowing that there are probably many more nice people on here. Some people are just perfect, have never made a mistake and have to present their "holier than thou" attutudes for all of us to observe and so that we can just be in awe of their supreme intellect! :rolleyes:

Thank you for the chuckle:) I know, sometimes I feel so bad for some of the posters. You take your chances of being ripped apart. When I started this post I thought I was doing a good thing to warn people. Little did I think I would get some of the comments I have gotten. Oh well, life goes on and in the end I was not about to let this incident ruin our cruise. We had all five of our children and a son in law with us and we had a wonderful time.

Thanks for the info from all of you on the important items being in your carry one . I have a necklace & earrings that I recieved from my son the Christmas before he passed away and i would be crushed if they came up missing . They will be on my carry on, on our cruise here in 2 weeks . Thats why I appreciate these boards so much , great info and reminders . Thanks again :)

I fly a lot for work and I always put the TSA approved locks on my checked bags. When I give my luggage over to cruise/port personnel, I have always had locks on them. I would never put luggage out into the hallway at the end of a cruise without a lock on it. Does NCL have a rule about unlocked luggage? The only mention in this thread was the zip ties, which anyone can open with a nail clipper.

And, as previous posters have said, I never put anything into my checked bag that I can't live without. When flying together, DH and I pack half our stuff in each other's suitcase. That way if the airline loses one, we have at least some clothes each.

To the OP - sorry for your loss, but your post may have saved another cruiser from the same thing happening to them.

no rules about locks. you can lock them on a cruise. it may or may not help. remember, there are ways to break some of the locks. i don't like to encourage the locks, since some don't realize you can't use anything other then the plastic ties or TSA approved locks for flying.

last cruise, i put my luggage out and less then 10 mins later i heard them picking them up. didn't see any of the luggage staying in the hallways for very long. they had people stationed there...grabbing them quickly.

i DO want a photo of the person who opens my luggage..some of those clothes can get pretty ripe after sea air for a week.

I fly a lot for work and I always put the TSA approved locks on my checked bags. When I give my luggage over to cruise/port personnel, I have always had locks on them. I would never put luggage out into the hallway at the end of a cruise without a lock on it. Does NCL have a rule about unlocked luggage? The only mention in this thread was the zip ties, which anyone can open with a nail clipper.

We also ALWAYS use the TSA locks on our main luggage. We locked all bags (except carry-ons) before leaving the hotel room for the ship. And on last evening we locked them again with TSA locks before putting them out in hallway.

We do not like the idea of using ties - once they are clipped off, the bags are unlocked!

We have a good sized wheelie (19") as our carry-on and we throw into it all our valuables and medicine, etc, and still have room for other stuff.

no rules about locks. you can lock them on a cruise. it may or may not help. remember, there are ways to break some of the locks. i don't like to encourage the locks, since some don't realize you can't use anything other then the plastic ties or TSA approved locks for flying.

Our TSA locks are very heavy and sturdy and hard to cut open. They are not cheap to buy! When buying TSA locks check the bottom of lock that there is TSA embossed on it, along with the key number.

Since we travel internationally, we have had our bags opened several times by TSA during the screening at the departure airport. How did we know? The locks remained intact but they kindly left a note inside the bag to indicate the bag was opened and searched and then closed and re-locked.

The cheap padlocks (with keys) that come with new suitcases will not do at all - they are easy to break open!

Bluesea777

The Song of America was our first cruise and the Star Princess was our second - just like you only about a year later with each one.

Ha ha! The Song of America was very memorable! The Star Princess ship was lovely (in her hey day) but the staff and atmosphere wasn't Caribbean enough for us as the SoA was. It was Star's first Caribbean cruise so that was why.

Star Princess is now Ocean Village.

Ha ha! The Song of America was very memorable! The Star Princess ship was lovely (in her hey day) but the staff and atmosphere wasn't Caribbean enough for us as the SoA was. It was Star's first Caribbean cruise so that was why.

Star Princess is now Ocean Village.

We too have fond memories of the Song of America. Nothing like your first cruise. There was nothing fancy about that ship but there sure was something special.

Archived