Just back on 3/30/08 from Pearl 9 day

Quithan

Hi to all!!

We left on Thursday for our Friday (3/21/08) Pearl departure. Stayed at the Hyatt Summerfield Suites at the airport. Kind of noisy with planes going overhead every few minutes but they upgraded us to a 2 bedroom suite which was fab. We had booked their transport to the cruise ship the next morning and then found out that it would have been much cheaper to call a cab. It's about $27 for a cab for 5 and they are readily available. The transport was $10pp and there were 5 of us. So, if you're more than 2 people it's better to take a cab. The hotel is very nice, enough food at the manager's reception that we didn't even need dinner that night and then a decent breakfast the next morning. It was $100 cheaper than Embassy Suites. Also--there is a Publix directly behind the hotel so my husband went there to buy his Pepsis and bought 24 oz bottles so we put them in an extra suitcase, put a luggage tag on it and it arrived safely in our room.

Embarkation was pretty painless. I didn't time it but we really didn't wait in any lines. We got onboard by 11:30 or so (I think we left the hotel by 10:30) and checked out the ship--which was beautiful!!!! We decided to eat at the buffet since the kids wanted to get in the pool asap. My 7 year old LOVED the slide and that day the line was very short until much later so he used it a lot. Rooms were ready by 1:30 or so and it didn't take but another hour or so to start getting bags. Everything arrived safely--even the bottle of whiskey my DH smuggled in. Then we got a notice that another bag was sent to the naughty room. Turns out it was our power strip that they didn't like because there was nothing else in the bag that they could figure that would be suspicious. They apologized for the inconvenience and handed it right back.

I would tend to agree with other posters that the food in the main dining rooms is very fair. There were some good dishes, and some not so good ones but it seems they are really pushing the specialty restaurants. Reservations were really tough too. You could make reservations one day in advance but it's all really very silly because there's nothing left for same day reservations unless you get lucky with a cancelation. If you have your heart set on either La Cucina or Tepanyaki and you're lucky enough to get on board early--go straight to the buffet or Indigo and try to make it for that night or the next. The freestyle concept is becoming less and less free very time we cruise. We did manage to get in to the Asian Fusion: lettuce wraps were good, pot sitckers were actually steamed dumplings, hot and sour soup was really not good and we love that normally--I don't remember the entrees but the banana spring roll with ice cream and chocolate sauce was probably my favorite dessert of the whole cruise. La Cucina: we only got reservations because my 12 year old happened by when a hostess was out at the stand setting up and he thought he'd "surprise" me by making a reservation. She was so taken with his gesture that she called down to the room and got us in for the next night. I had the snapper and it wasn't very good--most of it was dark dark brown and very fishy, heavily breaded and very salty. I heard the veal was good. The tiramisu was more cakey than creamy and I prefer it the other way around but it was decent. My 15 year old picked Cagney's for his birthday celebration. The fillet was good, the sides were very tasty but again, nothing terribly memorable. Last time were cruised NCL (2 years ago) my kids were able to have caviar and escargot and lobster in the main dining rooms and they LOVED trying all the new stuff. There was none of that so I was a little disappointed. I can't complain because someone else cooked and served me and cleaned up after me for 9 straight days but it was our opinion that the food was just ok. We ate at the Buffet every day for breakfast and lunch and it was by far my favorite buffet of any cruise. The only thing I could say is I wish it had changed more throughout the week but you could literally eat something different every day. I guess maybe some Mexican during the day or more varied Asian but it was really very good. The ice cream lines got very long at certain times of the day and although the variety was good, a self serve soft serve would help that a lot. Again, someone was doing the scooping and serving so it's hard to say something negative I just think there's room for improvement there.

Samana: We booked the bike, hike and kayak through NCL--just not comfortable trying to book on our own there. Our kids are 7, 12, and 15. It had something for everyone. The tour reads: "Board our air conditioned bus"--we just laughed when we saw it. It was like an open air safari truck. It was a beautiful day so it was fine. The roads are horrible and the massive holes in the road threw 2 of my kids out of their seats twice. They thought it was funny. It bothered my back a bit but it was all good. It is a VERY poor country. Our guide was excellent and knowledgable although his accent was a little hard to understand at times. It was about a 45 minute ride to start biking. The bike portion was a mile and a half, fairly flat on a paved path. They stayed with us and had several riders throughout our group of about 20. The truck brought extra bikes just in case. My 7 year old made it a mile and 1/4 and started complaining a bit so they threw his bike on the truck and put him on the motorized scooter one of the guys was driving. He thought that was pretty cool. The hike was maybe 1/2-3/4 mile. You ride along this path and the cliff that rises up a few hundred feet is really cool. It's marble and as you transfer from bike to hike the guide told us all about their marble mining and the state it's in because of the government. Anyway, we hiked to a geyser "boca del diablo" (mouth of the devil) and we heard the tide rumbling inside it but it never erupted. The kids all stood around it and when the tide would come in the wind that came up blew their hats way far away. It was funny. Back on the bus for the ride to Playa Rincon. It was a magnificent beach. We kayaked and played there for about an hour and then back on the bumpy bus for another 45 minutes back to port. All in all it was a 6 hour time from tender to back on the ship--not 4 as the tour describes so be prepared with food for a snack while you're out or buy it at the beach if you're more adventurous than we were.

Tortola: We booked the dolphin trip on our own through their website: www.dolphindiscovery.com We booked our 2 older boys in the royal swim for $139 and the discovery swim for $74 for our 7 year old. They are VERY lenient as far as age restriction goes so if your child is a good swimmer and not afraid, they would do fine in any of the programs. I wish we had known for our younger one because he would have really enjoyed the royal swim. He still had a great time though. We did buy some pictures and the dvd of the older boys. There were too many other kids in the younger one's group. Some groups move very far away so bring a good telephoto if you are not participating. There are NO spectators allowed on the docks around the dolphin pools. This was the experience of a lifetime for our middle son as he is facinated with dolphins. We went back to the ship to eat and then back out and about town to shop. Everything was closed due to independence day there except for some t-shirt tents and little knick-knacks for the kids.

Antigua: We booked the zipline canopy tour through NCL. You cannot book this on your own as NCL has a contract with the zipline company. I was terrified to do this but I decided not to stand on the sidelines once again as my adventurous family of all boys did something crazy so I sucked it up and held my breath most of the day. It's about a 20-30 minute drive to the rainforest. The countryside was pretty and our cabbie was entertaining. I was a nervous wreck. We signed in, signed our life away and got suited up. They go through a brief demonstration and you're off. My 15 year old went off first--no surprises there as there is nothing high enough or fast enough for him. Then my 7 year old who takes after his big brother. I was NOT gong to be last so I stepped up, shaking all the while, and off I went. I closed my eyes and landed safely on the other side. Now they tell you, if you slow yourself down too much you won't have enough speed to get across and then you'll be left dangling in the middle until you either hand-over-hand it yourself or someone comes out to rescue you--not only that but they are required to laugh at you and call you big dummy. So sure enough that was me on the 2nd zip but they guy was really very nice as I'm sure he could smell the fear coming off of me. The 4th zip they call the scream line as it is the longest and I didn't let anyone down on that one. I never really conquered my fear but I got through all the zips and I was still alive and I did enjoy experiencing the joy with my family first hand. The last thing was the step of faith and it wasn't so much a step for me as the girl got tired of me saying, "ok I can do this" and she hauled off and pushed me off the platform. The cable catches you immediately and it is a VERY slow and controlled decent. Ahhh--the rainforest floor--never so glad to be on the ground in my life!!!! The hike up is through big boulders at first and then millions of stairs. Now, I wanted a picture so I could prove to everyone who knows me and thinks that I'd never do anything like that I really did it. The other families were interested in seeing their photos as well so we waited. And we waited and we waited. Well, the photographer finally came in but he gat a buddy to pull up the pics as he had to get back out to his post. Long story short, we bought the pics, he had trouble loading and burning them to a CD so they offered to bring it back to the ship with the last group of the day. Fine--everyone in our cab was ready to KILL me so off we went. Stopped by the shore excursion desk that evening and picked up the disc. Asked them to just check it to make sure the images were really there. Nothing would load. It must be their slow computer, so they sent me to the interent guru. He was very kind and helpful but knew immediately the images had been loaded in high speed and were not accessible. I was so bummed. We could always dispute the charges on our credit card but I really wanted those pics. So--internet guru to the rescue--he was able to recover the data onto his flash drive and burned me a new disc of most of the images--except for 3--all of me. :-( So the ship and I have been in contact with them and they are trying to see if they still have any of the images. Everyone involved is being helpful--BUT I WANT THAT PHOTO!!!!!!

Barbados: We booked the Shasa catamarn cruise with Capt. Jason. We had crummy weather. He was wonderful with the kids, etc. Please try to pay him in cash if you book with him. We forgot that it said that and only brought our credit card. He was very kind and took it. It was a little hectic getting everyone fitted for masks and fins--especially in the rain--but after that the fish were plentiful and beautiful. Jason is very patient and was great with my 7 year old. It got a little rough and I got seasick which has never happened to me before in the water so I was done for the day but everyone else had a great time. They only saw 3 or 4 turtles but it was a great trip. They only take 12 out on their boat so it so much nicer (and cheaper) than the ship's tour. His wife met us at the port, loaded us up in a cab and off we went to the beach where he picked us up right on shore. He's a great guy, very dependable, and adament about safety on his boat and in the water. The sun came out by the end and I was sad it wasn't a prettier morning.

St. Lucia; We booked Cosol tours. It is the best run tour I have ever been on. You get such a good flavor for the island. His drivers are VERY knowledgable about everything on the island. They know every tree you pass, every flower you see and every village you go through. You stop at an overlook and the kids can hold a snake, stop for breakfast of local pastries, etc., off to a beautiful waterfall, then the stinky sulfer volcano, about an hour at the beach between the pitons: amazing, amazing, amazing. The snorkeling was incredible there. Then you have a little party, and they get you cheese and local hot bread on the way back to the ship. It was a great day. I can't recommend this tour highly enough.

Our 2 days at sea were beautiful with a very brief occasional shower. The chair hogs were really bad. I heard someone say that chairs were claimed with towels by 6:30 in the morning. I would say that and the specialy reservations were the 2 things NCL really need to work on. They start the reservations at 8 a.m. (be in line by 7:30 if you really have your heart set on something) They really start at about 7:50--Tepanyaki was booked by 8a.m. every morning. It is the first to go.

We had a really great cuise. Our stops were all great, the kids had a wonderful time. They didn't do a lot of kid's club because it was really crowded. My 12 year old (will be 13 in 2 months) felt too old and my 7 year old felt pretty overwhelmed. It was spring break week. There were 700 kids on board. They usually run about 200. But that's our week to cruise. It was really no big deal for us though. They did go twice so my DH and I could have 2 "date nights". But that was it. My 15 year old couldn't get enough of teen club but it seems EVERYONE's parents let their kids stay out later then we do. Too bad, so sad. It was 11:00-11:30 for him as we feel that nothing good happens after midnight. We did the shows in the evenings most nights. Sharkbait was great--their shows have not changed much though. The magician was kind of lame and we didn't catch the Jean Ann Ryan (?) show.

We did book 2 cruise rewards and got the $200 worth of credits. Our only major problem came when we got our bill. We were supposed to have 2 $75 shipboard credits on our account. One cabin only came up as $50. (we had adjoining mini-suites) So I called down and they asked if we had proof--which I did so they said, no problem just bring it down to the desk. So after standing in line for about 30 minutes, it was my turn. Oh--I'm sorry, you needed to bring this to our attention several days ago--there's nothing we can do now. EXCUSE ME? I just got my bill 5 minutes ago. Well, ma'am you can come down any time and check your bill. But I have proof right here. Yes ma'am, it appears you do however, we would need to forward this to the home office so they can verify it. But here's the proof right in front of you. Yes, ma'am I see it but there is nothing I can do. You mean to tell me that I just spent over $10,000 with you and you're going to argue with me over the $25 you clearly owe me? I'm sorry ma'am there's nothing I can do. Now I'm really PO'd. Is there a manager I can speak to? Well, he'd say the same thing. AHHHH--it's $25!!!! And you know you owe it to me and you won't issue it????? No ma'am. So we stepped down to reception. Although the girl there was much nicer, she confirmed what the first girl said. They supposedly have no authority to issue the credit. And I guess that's where my beef is. The credit and finincial people need to have that authority. And they told us to make sure our bill was correct before we got off the ship because once we're off the ship, the account is closed. I have now spent over an hour fighting with these people and my DH decided to remove all of the gratuities from our bill. So, instead of issuing a $25 credit, they ended up taking $360 in gratuities off of our bill. He was soooooo furious. Although, I understand we are hurting the wrong people, it was our only recourse. I really do feel terrible about doing that but I think we needed to send a message that you can not treat a customer like that. It's just not good customer service. We will write NCL and tell them our story and maybe they will see their policy as stupid and legalistic. A good customer service rep would have found a way to get us our $25--end of story. It really was an unfortuate end to a wonderful trip. We have always loved cruising with NCL, but unless we get a satisfactory response from them, we may be selling back our cruise rewards. It'd be a darn shame.

Disembarkation went by in a flash after that--we were off the ship and out by the curb in 15 minutes. We carried off our own bags and we went back to the Hyatt to spend one more night before our Monday lfight home. We ate at Casa Juan, excellent, amazing, Cuban food for lunch and spent a restful, although noisy again, night. The restaurant is right behind the hotel in the same strip as the Publix. We're home--I'm doing loads and loads of laundry and now I must fall into my own bed. AHHH. Happy cruising for those of you getting ready to go.

I have now spent over an hour fighting with these people and my DH decided to remove all of the gratuities from our bill. So, instead of issuing a $25 credit, they ended up taking $360 in gratuities off of our bill. He was soooooo furious. Although, I understand we are hurting the wrong people, it was our only recourse. I really do feel terrible about doing that but I think we needed to send a message that you can not treat a customer like that. It's just not good customer service.

I don't see what taking the gratuities off your bill did. It didn't get your $25.00, did it? Well, it did. It got you $360.00 which in my opinion wasn't yours any longer. You'd enjoyed the services of your room stewards and others all week long, in my opinion it belonged to them at that point, they'd worked for it. So really, you didn't get your $25.00 back.

You hurt no one but your room stewards and others who worked hard to make your cruise enjoyable. I just can't agree with it being your only recourse. You asked to speak to a manager and when she said he would say the same thing, sorry, I'd have stood there until he came and told me the same thing. I know it's easier said than done to find someone to help in a situation like that, but I can't agree with the course of action you took over $25.00. You said it was to send a message, well, I'm one to argue a point for fairness, but that just wasn't fair and didn't send a message to anyone but your room stewards and others who probably felt like crap that you stiffed them.

I had to edit this and ask something I thought about. If you write NCL a letter, and they send you $50 - $100 onboard credit for your next cruise for your troubles, what are you going to do? Send back the $360.00?

Cliff notes, please? Why did they stiff the staff? Why would someone do that? I couldn't relate their long post with your short one.

They didn't get a $25.00 onboard credit they were supposed to, so took the gratuities of $360.00 off to 'send a message' to NCL that it should have been taken care of by a good customer service rep. That's the short version. It's all in the next to last paragraph.

I do not understand why you would penalize staff because you didn't get your 25.00 discount? No logic there! I don't think NCL will change it's policy because you stiffed the service crew. The wrong people were punished.

I have to agree with the rest...you clearly penalized the wrong people in this situation. You go on and on about your "wonderful" cruise. You brag about smuggling booze on board. You receive special attention from the internet guru with your missing photos. Then you decide to stiff the crew who waited on you hand and foot for a week?! I just don't get it.

I guess there is a lesson here. ALWAYS check the bill during the cruise. I know that now thanks to this thread. I'll be sure to check ours out half-way through our trip next month. But the way the OP handled this situation is just wrong. There has to be another way to get back what is owed to you without hurting others in the process.

Thanks for sharing your review.

Hi to all!!

my DH decided to remove all of the gratuities from our bill. So, instead of issuing a $25 credit, they ended up taking $360 in gratuities off of our bill. He was soooooo furious. Although, I understand we are hurting the wrong people, it was our only recourse. I really do feel terrible about doing that but I think we needed to send a message that you can not treat a customer like that.

are you KIDDING ME?????? You cheated the crew out of a majority of their salary because of that? I agree the $25 should of been given to you but why did you stiff the crew? You say you feel "terrible" and "understand we are hurting the wrong people" but clearly you didn't feel terrible because you did it..CHEAP SHOT at the crew. Sorry if my post sounds immature but this is just so ridiculous its not even funny. Some sad people out there.

WOW! That was kinda harsh, wasn't it. The service fee won't effect NCL's bottom line, only the crews pockets. The $25 comes from NCL, the $360 belongs to the crew. NCL might send you $25 or $50 or even $100 but the crew is still screwed.

You sent a message that you can treat the crew "like this" though.

I have to agree with the poster - the Casa Juan restaurant that is located in the Publix shopping center is a great place to eat.

While my favorite Cuban restaurant in Miami is the Versailles - Casa Juan is a very close second.

dennis

I can't believe that you would stiff the staff because of $25. Just proves how cheap some people are. NCL probably will be glad if you never take another cruise with them. At least the cabin steward, waiters etc. will be. I have heard when these employees are stiffed, they have to take that amount of money from their own pockets and turn it in to NCL. I don't know if that is true, but really, how can you look at yourself in the mirror?

How do you have the nerve to ask for special favors, ie the internet guru and want NCL to help you get pictures and then say, tough, I didn't get $25 so I will sc*** you. Unbelievable!!!!!!!

I can't believe that you would stiff the staff because of $25. Just proves how cheap some people are. NCL probably will be glad if you never take another cruise with them. At least the cabin steward, waiters etc. will be. I have heard when these employees are stiffed, they have to take that amount of money from their own pockets and turn it in to NCL. I don't know if that is true, but really, how can you look at yourself in the mirror?

How do you have the nerve to ask for special favors, ie the internet guru and want NCL to help you get pictures and then say, tough, I didn't get $25 so I will sc*** you. Unbelievable!!!!!!!

They have to turn in cash given to them if someone takes off the service charge.

"So, instead of issuing a $25 credit, they ended up taking $360 in gratuities off of our bill. He was soooooo furious. Although, I understand we are hurting the wrong people, it was our only recourse. I really do feel terrible about doing that but I think we needed to send a message that you can not treat a customer like that."

The message that was sent will NEVER make it to those who were hurt (everyone who helped to make your cruise a great experience). Wouldn't it have made more sense to just dispute the bill with your credit card company until a resolution/response was received from Corporate?

It seems more and more that if someone is angry at Corporate before they disembark, the immediate response is to remove their gratuities, with the end result that those who derive some or their income as a result of those gratuities are hurt. How incredibly sad............

We were on this same cruise and had a problem with onboard credit as well. We had 2 suites and a balcony all booked together, and somehow we got credit for one of the suites and the balcony, but not the Owner's Suite. We got the same spiel about "you should have let us know earlier", and it really ticked me off. What made me the most angry was the waiting. I started in line at 6:30pm on the last night, waiting in the reception line. After over 1/2 an hour, they sent me to another line at the credit desk. I was third in line, and 1/2 hour later, I was up front where they gave me the "too late" spiel. In that line, it took 15 minutes for one person to cash travelers checks, and another 15 minutes for a couple to switch their credit card on their bill. A ridiculous amount of time for such simple transactions if you ask me. Since we also had an erroneous shore excursion charged (not booked or taken), I also had to wait at that desk, but they were fairly quick and efficient. In the end, I wasn't able to shower for our 8:00 dinner or finish my packing until after dinner. I am hoping to take the issue up with NCL directly today - I will let you know the results.

Robin

We were on this same cruise and had a problem with onboard credit as well. We had 2 suites and a balcony all booked together, and somehow we got credit for one of the suites and the balcony, but not the Owner's Suite. We got the same spiel about "you should have let us know earlier", and it really ticked me off. What made me the most angry was the waiting. I started in line at 6:30pm on the last night, waiting in the reception line. After over 1/2 an hour, they sent me to another line at the credit desk. I was third in line, and 1/2 hour later, I was up front where they gave me the "too late" spiel. In that line, it took 15 minutes for one person to cash travelers checks, and another 15 minutes for a couple to switch their credit card on their bill. A ridiculous amount of time for such simple transactions if you ask me. Since we also had an erroneous shore excursion charged (not booked or taken), I also had to wait at that desk, but they were fairly quick and efficient. In the end, I wasn't able to shower for our 8:00 dinner or finish my packing until after dinner. I am hoping to take the issue up with NCL directly today - I will let you know the results.

Robin

Robin, I also will let you know the results of our discussion with NCL. Please see my post on our thread (Pearl 3/21/08) and it will explain more thoroughly our intended actions. I should have known better...

I really enjoyed your review! We were on the Jewel - also with three kids - and I know the Pearl is quite similar so it was fun to read your comments. We had the 200 kids on board week though - 2/29! My kids were hoping there were more kids to meet/play with.

Anyway, I can understand your frustration and that does show a lack of service which is what the gratuity is for in part. I did not realize it was so easy to take off the gratuity/service charge. I had read other places it was very tough to do so and then they want to see if you have given the money to your steward or others. I would have preferred to give money directly to wait staff/stewards instead of this automatic big pot. We did give extra to our two room stewards because they were great - and we were in the cheapo cabins. Also gave to the kids club people because they are not included in the general tips. I think NCL should re-think the tipping personally. So the people who deserve the tips get them and the ones who don't, don't!

I really enjoyed your review! We were on the Jewel - also with three kids - and I know the Pearl is quite similar so it was fun to read your comments. We had the 200 kids on board week though - 2/29! My kids were hoping there were more kids to meet/play with.

Anyway, I can understand your frustration and that does show a lack of service which is what the gratuity is for in part. I did not realize it was so easy to take off the gratuity/service charge. I had read other places it was very tough to do so and then they want to see if you have given the money to your steward or others. I would have preferred to give money directly to wait staff/stewards instead of this automatic big pot. We did give extra to our two room stewards because they were great - and we were in the cheapo cabins. Also gave to the kids club people because they are not included in the general tips. I think NCL should re-think the tipping personally. So the people who deserve the tips get them and the ones who don't, don't!

There are so many people who deserve a tip and don't get one though.

Taking off the service charge hurts ALL THE CREW.

You cannot reward certain crew members if you take the service charge off!

Some people still don't get this.

Robin, I also will let you know the results of our discussion with NCL. Please see my post on our thread (Pearl 3/21/08) and it will explain more thoroughly our intended actions. I should have known better...

Oh ya, that made it clear as mud.:confused:

PE

Wow, to take off gratuities for a $25.00 mistake is harsh. If the message was about the $25.00 then send some letters to NCL. I know how hard and long the ship crew works for us. I cannot believe the money was that important. I would have just let it go. After all a week long vacation, with food, room, pool, shows, activities, room service let the small amount go.

How would they like it, accounting made a mistake on his/her check and they voided the whole paycheck out of principal.

Nancy

1)just off Jewel, food was really good-food comments are soo subjective anyway.Made all reservations first day for all week..best times ever, people who wait are uniformed by TA's or NCL reps who never cruise.What do you expect? The whole point is the diff dining options.

2)you take up the $$ issue with your TA, oh, you probably don't have one.

3)NCL says in the program to check your bill-I noticed it midway thru the cruise for this very reason. the ship cannot verify each claim of credit's, gifts, etc.

4)grow up and send them the $360 back and forget about the $25.00 :)

I'm not slamming you, and I am glad for your post, it was a wonderfully detailed review. Maybe I should have said that before I commented but once I read about what you did, it took all of your other good points away. I just didn't understand what you were trying to accomplish by taking off the money the crew had worked so hard for.

YOUR OTHER POST...

Still trying to figure out why no one made my breakfast or my bed this morning. I am getting slammed on other boards for what we did and while I won't justify what we did to all those other people, I thought I'd let you all, who we really enjoyed meeting, know that as long as NCL responds kindly and promises to speak to that employee (she was really incredibly rude and could have handled us very differently), we will be reposting our gratuities on to our account. It's just that we felt we had no other choice than to basically hold them hostage. (and yes we realize it is the wrong people paying the price)

We had such a good time and would love to return and cruise NCL again but we'll wait to see how they respond--and credit our account with the $25 they owe us. I just want an apology and for someone to agree with us that their policy stinks and so did their employee's attitude. I'd go in to more detail on her actions and attitude but it's long and ugly and we'll leave it at that. Hope everyone is adjusting to life back on land--happy spring

I would be surprised if you didn't get the same reaction from those on your Roll Call that you did from us, 'Those other people'. And I think all of us who have responded would probably agree it wasn't handled properly by NCL at the desk, but that still doesn't justify your actions in return. I feel frustrated for the same situation Fishbait17 was put in, but I do think he did what was right, to try to solve the issue another way, rather than to stiff the crew who did nothing to deserve it.

Again, I did throughly enjoy your detailed review, thank you. But again, I'd be surprised if you found anyone who would agree with the actions you took.

It's just that we felt we had no other choice than to basically hold them hostage. (and yes we realize it is the wrong people paying the price)

We had such a good time and would love to return and cruise NCL again but we'll wait to see how they respond--and credit our account with the $25 they owe us. I just want an apology and for someone to agree with us that their policy stinks and so did their employee's attitude.

If you realized that the wrong people are paying the price...then why in the hell did you do it? Please don't go on another cruise, because I'm sure something else minuscule (Yes, I think a $25 onboard credit is minuscule) will happen and you will be using the crew's tips as "hostage". I am happy that a crew member was able to read your post and respond appropriately.

the bottle of whiskey my DH smuggled in.

**You broke the rules of the cruiseline, if you and DH had been caught who's fault would THAT have been??? I can only imagine...wasn't there a poster on these boards recently that had been caught and took it out on the staff the whole cruise? or something like that?**

La Cucina: we only got reservations because my 12 year old happened by when a hostess was out at the stand setting up and he thought he'd "surprise" me by making a reservation. She was so taken with his gesture that she called down to the room and got us in for the next night.

**You got a BONUS here..obviously this crew member went above and beyond - she probably deserved whatever tip she was due from the tip pool**

I can't complain because someone else cooked and served me and cleaned up after me for 9 straight days

**That is right and THESE people deserve every tip they get**

Again, someone was doing the scooping and serving so it's hard to say something negative

**And these people deserve THEIR tips as well**

So--internet guru to the rescue--he was able to recover the data onto his flash drive and burned me a new disc of most of the images--except for 3--all of me. :-( So the ship and I have been in contact with them and they are trying to see if they still have any of the images. Everyone involved is being helpful

**Yet another employee of the cruiseline that went above AND beyond for you**

We had a really great cuise.

**Sounds like you were taken care of pretty well by ship and excursion staff - on and off the ship**

Oh--I'm sorry, you needed to bring this to our attention several days ago--there's nothing we can do now. EXCUSE ME? I just got my bill 5 minutes ago. Well, ma'am you can come down any time and check your bill. But I have proof right here. Yes ma'am, it appears you do however, we would need to forward this to the home office so they can verify it.

**Sounds like this employee was doing her job...following the instructions of her employer**

But here's the proof right in front of you. Yes, ma'am I see it but there is nothing I can do. You mean to tell me that I just spent over $10,000 with you and you're going to argue with me over the $25 you clearly owe me? I'm sorry ma'am there's nothing I can do. Now I'm really PO'd. Is there a manager I can speak to? Well, he'd say the same thing. AHHHH--it's $25!!!! And you know you owe it to me and you won't issue it????? No ma'am. So we stepped down to reception. Although the girl there was much nicer, she confirmed what the first girl said. They supposedly have no authority to issue the credit.

**Imagine is every receptionist or crew member had authority to do this....OMG NCL wouldn't be able to keep their books properly, obviously it is taken care of by the main office**

And I guess that's where my beef is. The credit and finincial people need to have that authority.

**Something you should mention is your letter to NCL**

And they told us to make sure our bill was correct before we got off the ship because once we're off the ship, the account is closed.

**Well is it or isn't it? I noticed in another post of yours on another thread you mention that you realize what you did was wrong and are going to give back the service charge...I am a little confused with this one.**

I have now spent over an hour fighting with these people and my DH decided to remove all of the gratuities from our bill. So, instead of issuing a $25 credit, they ended up taking $360 in gratuities off of our bill. He was soooooo furious.

**And took it out on way overworked employees that had done nothing wrong**

Although, I understand we are hurting the wrong people, it was our only recourse.

**No it wasn't you only recourse. You understood what you were doing and DID it anyway.**

I really do feel terrible about doing that

**I doubt it, after all it was all about you, your husband and $25.00**

A good customer service rep would have found a way to get us our $25--end of story.

**Not if they don't have any control over it!!!**

I have read your review over and over. It seems like a very fair and balanced review. I honestly would have been embarrassed to write about your $25 problem and what you and your husband did to "rectify" the situation. Do you realize that the cruiseline has a reason for not allowing customers to smuggle booze onto their ships...it is called revenue. So with that said that bottle of booze that got smuggled on and not caught probably holds a $25 value. When you write to NCL will you be mentioning this?

Shame on both of you.

Archived