Breastfeeding, Just Curious!!

mommiejaxx

Hi there!! I am just curious to get some opinions about breastfeeding on the cruise.. This is not a question about breastfeeding versus bottle feeding. I know everyone will have their opinion about that but I am just wondering if it is frowned upon to breastfeed in public on the cruise ship.. I am talking about being discreet not whipping it out for all to see.. Thanks in advance for your responses. :)

I don't see any problem with it. There are plenty of people that wont even know what you are doing. If you wanted to make sure no one noticed I would suggest a cover for your breast and baby. As long as you are comfortable I say go for it.

I don't suggest it in the formal dining room just because it is formal.

I don't see any problem with it. There are plenty of people that wont even know what you are doing. If you wanted to make sure no one noticed I would suggest a cover for your breast and baby. As long as you are comfortable I say go for it.

I don't suggest it in the formal dining room just because it is formal.

......and in the dining room everyone is seated close to each other......it would be difficult to be "discreet".

Go for it. I breastfeed my daughter everywhere even in restuarants. I cover up while she is latching on and once she is on no one can see a thing. I keep her blanket handy to cover myself in case she decides to take break for a wee look around her. have even had people come up to me for a look at the baby thinking she was sleeping. My point of view is if my baby needs to eat she needs to eat and if I don't expose myself it is no one else's business.

I breastfed my son on the cruise a few times (he generally only BFs morning and night but sometimes if he needs a nap and we are outside he needs some nursing to falls asleep). I did not have a proboem with any one saying anything or looking at me weird. I usually cover my son with a blanket so I'm sure most people did not even know what what happening. I agree that the dining room maybe the only place I would not do it - it's probably fine if you really have to do it but it's a more formal place, people are sitting close to each other, etc.

Thanks everyone..

Princessyoga: I do the exact same thing.. No one even knows what I am doing.

I don't know how we will be seated in the dining room. We might be at a table alone since we are a party of 5 so I will have to wait and see. If it is too close of quarters in there then I will have to figure something out.. The latch on and surprise pop off are the tricky parts.. ;)

Go for it. I breastfeed my daughter everywhere even in restuarants. I cover up while she is latching on and once she is on no one can see a thing. I keep her blanket handy to cover myself in case she decides to take break for a wee look around her. have even had people come up to me for a look at the baby thinking she was sleeping. My point of view is if my baby needs to eat she needs to eat and if I don't expose myself it is no one else's business.

This is exactly what I did. Never had a problem. Good luck! :)

I use a nursing cover called a "hooter hider" when I am out in public and love it. I feel more comfortable using it then a blanket and it's lighter so he doesn't get so hot. The originals are expensive but you can go on etsy.com or ebay and buy similar ones that work just as well. If you sew at all you can make one in about an hour (or at least that's how long it took me using a tutorial I found, it was the second thing I had truely made with a sewing machine so it must be easy).

PrincessYoga, I see that you are from Ireland. What is the general acceptance level towards breastfeeding (BF) there? I know this is off topic, but I am curious if most mothers breast or bottle feed. It is my understanding that in most of Europe, BF is more accepted there.

I have never cruised w/ and infant before, but I plan on BF my 11mo daughter on our next cruise this summer. I plan on taking my Bebe au lait covers since she sometimes pops off suddenly. I will find a quiet spot if possible, but I have never let anything stop me from feeding my child when needed. I have BF 3 children and have only rarely gotten rude stares or inappropriate comments. I say feed your child in the way you are most comforable. It is your right in most states, although I am unaware of any cruise line policy.

I would say that you should do whatever is most comfortable for you and your baby. Don't worry about anyone else's comfort level.

Well, I don't think that is a true statement (for this situation or any situation!). You do need to consider other people's comfort level at all times!

That said, if you are comfortable feeding in public and it is done discretly then go for it!

Well, I don't think that is a true statement (for this situation or any situation!). You do need to consider other people's comfort level at all times!

That said, if you are comfortable feeding in public and it is done discretly then go for it!

No, I would say that you should do what is most comfortable for you and your baby.

Other people didn't get me pregnant and they are certainly not going to be involved in the care and upbringing of my child. So why do they need to be considered when my child is hungry and needs to eat?

It's not MY fault that American society has chosen to sexualize every single part of the human body. If my baby needs to eat, I am going to feed him/her. If I want to whip my boob out and feed my baby, then that is my choice, my prerogative and my right.

You do what is most comfortable for you and I wont judge you, or impose my views or opinions on you.

I will do what is most comfortable for me and please don't judge me or impose your views or opinions on me.

Thanks!

That said, OP - do what you feel is most comfortable for you and your baby.

HAHAHAHAHA Sas! I agree with what you said but you still crack me up the way you put things. :D

I can't see why a breast (feeding a child) is sexual either. And I for one would not like to eat with a blanket over MY head. ;)

But I think it all depends on what area you are from as far as comfort level. It seems like southern women have been taught not to just "whip it out". ;)

PrincessYoga, I see that you are from Ireland. What is the general acceptance level towards breastfeeding (BF) there? I know this is off topic, but I am curious if most mothers breast or bottle feed. It is my understanding that in most of Europe, BF is more accepted there.

I have never cruised w/ and infant before, but I plan on BF my 11mo daughter on our next cruise this summer. I plan on taking my Bebe au lait covers since she sometimes pops off suddenly. I will find a quiet spot if possible, but I have never let anything stop me from feeding my child when needed. I have BF 3 children and have only rarely gotten rude stares or inappropriate comments. I say feed your child in the way you are most comforable. It is your right in most states, although I am unaware of any cruise line policy.

I just wanted to let you know that we are neighbors....we live in Queen Annes County about 10 miles from Easton.

As far as B/F goes, I say as long as you are covered then feed that sweet baby! I nursed everywhere when our kids were young. If someone really needs to look hard to see something then that is their problem! Do what you are comfortable with.

Take care,

sandi

You guys are great.. I totally thought I would catch some flaming about nursing in public. I have an almost 13 year old, an 11 year old and our newest addition who will be 17 months at the time we cruise. I have nursed all of them exclusively and about to start thinking about weaning but thought I would wait until she is 2. I also thought it would be something familiar and comforting for her to have on the cruise. You guys are right about the breast being turned into a sexual thing. I never realized just how much until I saw an article in a magazine about it and on the cover there was a nursing baby.. Whew, the trouble that stirred up in everyones responses to the cover. (not here on CC) Anyway, I am glad to see so much support and understanding. What gets me is that some peopple actually want women to breastfeed in public restrooms.. EEEWWWW! I surely wouldn't eat there and my baby won't either..

SABBIE: Hooter Hider... Ha Ha.. I will have to look for one on ebay or my mom can make me one.. I love the name.. My daughter sweats so much when she feeds though it would have to be really light weight..

Thanks again and sorry for the long post!

though I am sure you recall if you have older children....but there is the "squirm" factor for most babies over 4 months or so. My DS is so easily distracted. We have a hider and he plays with it and pushes it all over the place...so it doesn't work too well.

I would look for a dark, quiet location. The only issue I have had breastfeeding in public is the beach. Hot sweaty sandy baby and hot sweaty sandy mommy do not make for a good nursing combination.

While I almost exclusively breast feed, I will be bringing a few bottles of formula for the excursions just in case we can't find a quiet spot.

Some people are idiots though and some will notice what you are doing and some will stare even if you have a cover. I find it helpful to stare right back until they get the message:)

though I am sure you recall if you have older children....but there is the "squirm" factor for most babies over 4 months or so. My DS is so easily distracted. We have a hider and he plays with it and pushes it all over the place...so it doesn't work too well.

I would look for a dark, quiet location. The only issue I have had breastfeeding in public is the beach. Hot sweaty sandy baby and hot sweaty sandy mommy do not make for a good nursing combination.

While I almost exclusively breast feed, I will be bringing a few bottles of formula for the excursions just in case we can't find a quiet spot.

Some people are idiots though and some will notice what you are doing and some will stare even if you have a cover. I find it helpful to stare right back until they get the message:)

A LOT of people are idiots and stare.... I LOVE the idea of glaring right back at them!

never vacationed when mine were that young, but breastfed in plenty of public places, even shopping in a kmart! i just threw a receiving blanket over & let my baby eat. that was my preference, as i am a bit shy. i know my hubby is uncomfortable when a woman exposes everything while getting attached, etc. there are so many different views on this, but who wants to miss out on things? i would not want to have to traipse back to the cabin to breastfeed & all the bathrooms i have seen on previous cruises were simply a bunch of stalls & a sink. no thank you!

i would say, be discreet & feed your baby when it's time.

That is certainly the case on the Continent but Ireland and the UK have the lowest rates of breastfeeding in Europe. There is a huge push at the moment to encourage mothers to breastfeed for at least the first 6 months. There is a even a campaign by the health promotion agency about feeding in public. Breastfeeding in public is more accepted by the older (like 70's plus) and child bearing generations. But I have never gotten hassle in fact one older man in particular congratulated me for feeding her in a cafe. It was really close quarters at Christmas time but she was starving. So I angled by chair and fed her. I was conscious about offending him but needed to feed her. When I was finished I smiled at him and he congratulated me and started cooing at her.

Have you ever tried any of the breastfeeding tops by MotherWear? (My name brand might be out of date -- my youngest is ten.) I loved those shirts; they have hidden slits so you can breastfeed very discretely in public.

I found that I "became invisible" when I nursed my babies. No one ever looked in my direction. The few people who did speak to me were women who 1) said encouraging things or 2) women who mentioned that they'd nursed their own children.

plus)

. But I have never gotten hassle in fact one older man in particular congratulated me for feeding her in a cafe. It was really close quarters at Christmas time but she was starving. So I angled by chair and fed her. I was conscious about offending him but needed to feed her. When I was finished I smiled at him and he congratulated me and started cooing at her.

What a nice story! I have been pleasantly surprised by some of the reactions I have gotten from people while breastfeeding. Although I have also experienced the "invisibility factor" more often. PP is right: sometimes people pretend that you aren't there while you are BF. I find it useful to just interject into the conversation if I am part of a group. Most of the time people will pick up on your cue that BF is a normal thing. If you act like it is no big deal, often they will follow suit. If they don't, that is their own problem! I do my best to be discreet and conscious of my surroundings. But if someone is uncomfortable, they can remove themselves if they wish.:)

I give the a smile and say hello. :)

Archived