Booster Seat for Dining...or???

shannonwood

Hi Everyone,

I have been reading the various threads on carseats, and as if my head weren't spinning enough from that topic - I also have a question for dining while on the ship. When we cruise, my daughter will be 2 years and 4 months old. Given that that is SO far away in my opinion (she's only 16 months now!!), I have no idea how big/small she'll be and what I might need to do to assist her with sitting in chairs while eating on the ship. So for all you seasoned cruise mommies out there - on average, how do 2 year olds eat on the ship? That seems too old to be in a high chair, but maybe not? Or, do the ships provide booster seats? We have a Fisher Price portable booster we take to restaurants, but would that be silly and a waste of space to bring along with us?

Thank you,

Shannon

We are sailing in 4 weeks with our 16 month old niece -- and we are planning on bringing her booster seat along with us.

We are travelling from New Brunswick to New York -- so will need it in various restaurants along the way --- so just thought we would bring what we are comfortable with using.

I have found that sometimes they are so grungy & dirty that I opt to hold her rather then putting her into a booster or highchair. But with our own - we know it is clean and safe. Besides, we need someplace to "secure" her now that she has found her running and climbing legs.

Tracey

I have found that sometimes they are so grungy & dirty that I opt to hold her rather then putting her into a booster or highchair. But with our own - we know it is clean and safe. Besides, we need someplace to "secure" her now that she has found her running and climbing legs.

Tracey

EXACTLY! At that age, they are "old enough" to sit at the table but not really old enough to stay there. ;) At 2.5, my kids would sit on their knees at the table, but that's never comfortable. So we would either bring a booster or get a highchair. But Tracey is 100% right on, some of those highchairs can be downright ICK! They aren't as bad on a cruiseship as they are in normal restaurants.

At almost 2.5, she will be more comfortable in a booster you bring from home. But if it's too bulky to pack, then you can use the highchair.

When we cruised last summer (Carnival) and my DS was 1 month shy of 3 (and weighed almost 40 lbs! :eek:), we had him in a highchair at the table in the dining room. They had the standard wooden highchairs you see in restaurants that pull up to the table and I never noticed it being anything but clean -- at least until DS got to it!! After the first night, the waitstaff always had his highchair and the one for our friends who were sailing with us already set up at the table when we got there.

I believe most cruise lines also have booster seats (I know HAL does for when we sail next year and DS will be over 4.5), but I stay with the highchairs as long as possible because BOTH my kids had/have a really hard time staying sitting at the table unless that HAVE to because they're strapped in -- which public boosters don't. If your own booster has a seatbelt, that would solve the problem, but it would be one more BULKY thing to bring along, especially if you're also bringing a stroller and a car seat AND you're flying... Up to you, of course, but with a child that age I'd stick to the ship's highchair.

PS I just remembered that when we cruised way back when and my DD was 3.5 (also Carnival -- they sail from our homeports and fit our budget better...), we put her in a highchair, too.

wouldn't the ships high chair without the tray table be almost as good? Mine did that at age 3. They will have it all set up for you then. I wouldn't want to drag a booster from home.

Yeah like this one below. She's pulled right up to the table, no tray. I think for some parents, it's just the "ick factor" of using highchairs that every other kid did. When my oldest was 2, I brought our own chair from home. Now for my youngest, she doesn't get the same luxury...lol. ;)

Freedom-Formal5.jpg

Great question! Another thing to remember. Our DS will be 20 mos when we go, and he is growing like a weed, so I don't know if he'll be in highchair or booster. But I do think we'll bring the portable booster we can strap him into. This kid is going to have more luggage than us! :)

When we cruised w/ DD at 20 mos we had a high chair (the wooden, pull up to the table kind) and the waiter had it at the table every night.

When we cruised w/ DD at 29 mos we used a booster seat, but we also had a dream table placement. I've noticed that they will often place families with young kids at a booth and it definitely helped us here. We were on Monarch, which had cute little booths where 5 sit in the round booth and there are two chairs on the outside. There were only two of these per dining room (and two dining rooms.) We traveled with 6 adults + DD, all family, so if we put her in the middle, she was trapped whether or not she stayed in the seat. It was also nice b/c we were isolated and didn't have to show everyone in the dining room just how many items could be finger foods. (I recall a very amusing bowl of plain spaghetti with her all dressed up for formal night.) Anyway, it was also handy to be near an open area so that if you need to pull a chair (or the high chair) away to make room for a stroller with a sleeping child you can. So far she's slept through two dinners in her stroller, one on each cruise.

Archived