What Shouldn't We Miss in Auckland

margord

We were there many moons ago and we didn't see a HOHO bus, but we rented a taxi for the afternoon and had a great time. Sadly, it was raining like anything, but we visited Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter, which was fun and One Tree Hill (which didn't afford the great views due to the rain). We visited the city museum, which was having a display of cartoon and editorial art, as well as strolling through the botanical gardens. We also went in search of some used books stores and just basically checked out the local area (which included the harbor). We were only there two days, so we didn't have a lot of time, but we enjoyed the time spent there.

Charlie

We were there in March. They have a HOHO bus and it's very good. The museum is interesting especially the Maori section. We liked Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium and Antarctic exhibit. It was raining so we didn't go to the botanical gardens but they looked like a good place for a nice day.

Our harbour cruise included a ferry trip to Devonport - Great fish and chips. Or if you have longer go to one of the further out islands on the ferry.

Almost everything in NZ and Australia costs $30 admission. It was pretty funny after we noticed that.

We were there many moons ago and we didn't see a HOHO bus, but we rented a taxi for the afternoon and had a great time. Sadly, it was raining like anything, but we visited Kelly Tarlton's Antarctic Encounter, which was fun and One Tree Hill (which didn't afford the great views due to the rain). We visited the city museum, which was having a display of cartoon and editorial art, as well as strolling through the botanical gardens. We also went in search of some used books stores and just basically checked out the local area (which included the harbor). We were only there two days, so we didn't have a lot of time, but we enjoyed the time spent there.

Charlie

Thanks so much.

We were there in March. They have a HOHO bus and it's very good. The museum is interesting especially the Maori section. We liked Kelly Tarlton's Aquarium and Antarctic exhibit. It was raining so we didn't go to the botanical gardens but they looked like a good place for a nice day.

Our harbour cruise included a ferry trip to Devonport - Great fish and chips. Or if you have longer go to one of the further out islands on the ferry.

Almost everything in NZ and Australia costs $30 admission. It was pretty funny after we noticed that.

Greast advice, thanks.

If you have the time, a one day drive to the Bay of Islands is a fun day...great visit to a Maori Marae (meeting house), boat ride through the islands. It's a longish bus rides but with a few nice stops - reasonably priced and gets you to a part of the North Island that you wouldn't see otherwise.

A ferry across to Devonport or one of the other islands is fun and provides wonderful views of Auckland - a photo moment.

If you have the time, a one day drive to the Bay of Islands is a fun day...great visit to a Maori Marae (meeting house), boat ride through the islands. It's a longish bus rides but with a few nice stops - reasonably priced and gets you to a part of the North Island that you wouldn't see otherwise.

A ferry across to Devonport or one of the other islands is fun and provides wonderful views of Auckland - a photo moment.

Thanks, good idea.

Marilee

We will be spending a few nights pre-cruise in Auckland, NZ. What is there that we shouldn't miss? Do they have a HOHO bus?

Marilee

I recommend going to the top of the Skytower. Also, yes they have a HOHO. Kelly Tartons is nice. Also, a short ferry to Devonport. Dinner at one of the many restaurants at Viaduct Harbor. There's also an ice bar (Minus 5)on Princes Quay. Take a harbour cruise.

A few other thoughts:

Free intercity Red Bus http://www.stagecoach.co.nz/citycircuit/index.html

Victoria Park Market

Take the Auckland Explorer Bus

We took the Devonport ferry walked around Devonport then up to the Fort. Some great views of Auckland and the harbour from the Fort.

I recommend going to the top of the Skytower. Also, yes they have a HOHO. Kelly Tartons is nice. Also, a short ferry to Devonport. Dinner at one of the many restaurants at Viaduct Harbor. There's also an ice bar (Minus 5)on Princes Quay. Take a harbour cruise.

A few other thoughts:

Free intercity Red Bus http://www.stagecoach.co.nz/citycircuit/index.html

Victoria Park Market

Take the Auckland Explorer Bus

Thank you. What is Victoria Park Market?

We really enjoyed our last evening pre cruise having dinner at the Orbit restaurant on top of the sky tower! Make your reservation via e-mail and the entrance to the restaurant also includes entrance to the observatory pre or post dinner. We really enjoyed both the view and the dinner and it was a perfect end to our stay in Auckland!

We also took an afternoon and went to the Auckland Zoo -- really an interesting and underrated experience!

We really enjoyed our last evening pre cruise having dinner at the Orbit restaurant on top of the sky tower! Make your reservation via e-mail and the entrance to the restaurant also includes entrance to the observatory pre or post dinner. We really enjoyed both the view and the dinner and it was a perfect end to our stay in Auckland!

We also took an afternoon and went to the Auckland Zoo -- really an interesting and underrated experience!

I will check it out. Thanks

If you're there for several nights, enjoy a day trip to Waiheke Island -- the ferry leaves regularly and for a package price of $44 per person, you get the ferry trip, the hop-on hop-off bus with guided tour on Waiheke (we had a wonderful driver and guide from the island) and use of the regular buses on the island also. There are lovely beaches there -- very uncrowded and some lovely vinyards. You can wait for an especially nice day and decide to go spontaneously. You can buy the ferry package tickets at the dock -- Fuller's is the name of the company.

BTW - the Skytower has two restaurants- Orbit and Observatory. We had the lunchtime buffet (lots of wonderful seafood, great meats, fantastic desserts) at the lesser expensive of the two (Observatory) and it was still around US $35 pp without beverages. They only serve lunch at that one on Fri., Sat., Sun. But, don't forget that your lunch reservation also includes free admission to the Skytower - which costs US $20 per person. The luncheon does book up fast, so you need to reserve early.

About the hop-on hop-off bus -- if you're just a bit adventurous, you may just as well enjoy doing the regular city bus routes instead. There is one free bus that goes up Queen St. and around the CBD. The other city buses only cost, I think, about NZ $ 1.50 per ride and cover just about the same routes as the HOHO. You may do just as well on a pay as you go basis.

I second the motion about Bay of Islands -- we rented a car and spent 2 nights up in the north. The area around Paihia and the Bay of Islands is magical:D We had a great little hotel there, Blue Pacific Apts. (Nr. 1 on Tripadvisor). Not cheap, but they have one smaller studio for, IIRC, about NZ$ 240 (ca.US $ 200) with a private jacuzzi on your balcony. We did a great all-day tour with the Dunerider up to 90 mile beach etc. etc.

We truly fell in love with New Zealand and plan to go back for about 6 weeks next time. The Kiwis are the friendliest, warmest, most helpful people I have met anywhere in the world -- although I'm sure there are lots of others, as well.

Sharon,

I couldn't agree with you more. Our love affair with NZ began on ourfirst trip 13 years ago and gets stronger each time we're there. And, despite loving all of the places to go and things to do and see, it's the people who make the difference. My recommendation is to spend as much extra time there as you possibly can.

We signed up for a local tour that picked us up at the airport and gave us a 1/2 day tour of the city, the next day took us to Waitomo Glow Worm Caves and then next day took ut to the ship.

We are also planning on visiting the Glow Worm Caves. Something about it that really interests me. Was it nice, did you enjoy it? If one of those worms let's loose and lands in my lap they will hear my scream all the way back to the states.

Marilee

If you're there for several nights, enjoy a day trip to Waiheke Island -- the ferry leaves regularly and for a package price of $44 per person, you get the ferry trip, the hop-on hop-off bus with guided tour on Waiheke (we had a wonderful driver and guide from the island) and use of the regular buses on the island also. There are lovely beaches there -- very uncrowded and some lovely vinyards. You can wait for an especially nice day and decide to go spontaneously. You can buy the ferry package tickets at the dock -- Fuller's is the name of the company.

BTW - the Skytower has two restaurants- Orbit and Observatory. We had the lunchtime buffet (lots of wonderful seafood, great meats, fantastic desserts) at the lesser expensive of the two (Observatory) and it was still around US $35 pp without beverages. They only serve lunch at that one on Fri., Sat., Sun. But, don't forget that your lunch reservation also includes free admission to the Skytower - which costs US $20 per person. The luncheon does book up fast, so you need to reserve early.

About the hop-on hop-off bus -- if you're just a bit adventurous, you may just as well enjoy doing the regular city bus routes instead. There is one free bus that goes up Queen St. and around the CBD. The other city buses only cost, I think, about NZ $ 1.50 per ride and cover just about the same routes as the HOHO. You may do just as well on a pay as you go basis.

I second the motion about Bay of Islands -- we rented a car and spent 2 nights up in the north. The area around Paihia and the Bay of Islands is magical:D We had a great little hotel there, Blue Pacific Apts. (Nr. 1 on Tripadvisor). Not cheap, but they have one smaller studio for, IIRC, about NZ$ 240 (ca.US $ 200) with a private jacuzzi on your balcony. We did a great all-day tour with the Dunerider up to 90 mile beach etc. etc.

We truly fell in love with New Zealand and plan to go back for about 6 weeks next time. The Kiwis are the friendliest, warmest, most helpful people I have met anywhere in the world -- although I'm sure there are lots of others, as well.

Thanks so much for all the great information. The cost of the lunch in the Sky Tower isn't horrible if you factor in the included costs for admission to the Sky tower.

Sharon,

I couldn't agree with you more. Our love affair with NZ began on ourfirst trip 13 years ago and gets stronger each time we're there. And, despite loving all of the places to go and things to do and see, it's the people who make the difference. My recommendation is to spend as much extra time there as you possibly can.

We are actually flying in 6 days before the cruise. Half of that time will be spent with our NZ friends we met on a prior cruise.

Marilee

We are also planning on visiting the Glow Worm Caves. Something about it that really interests me. Was it nice, did you enjoy it? If one of those worms let's loose and lands in my lap they will hear my scream all the way back to the states.

Marilee

Hi Marilee,

If you are going to Waitomo, then chose the spellbound tour. It does not have as many tourists go through the cave, they let you talk, you can take photo's (unlike the others). It takes about 3 hours, but well worth it. (www.glowworm.co.nz) Tours run at 10am, 11am, 2pm and 3pm. You do a raft trip through the cave in the dark with the roof of the cave looking like the night sky full of stars.

Cost was about $55 per person. (not including bus or train to get there).

All I could think of was the little poem I had learnt....

I wish I was a glow worm,

A glow worms never glum.

' Cause how can you be grumpy,

when the sun shines out your bum!!

When you get to your hotel, they will have some pamphlets on things to see and do....get the Auckland A.Z guide, it has lots of discount vouchers inside. (www.aucklandtourism.co.nz)

The explore bus is $30 for an all day pass and takes you to the Auckland museum, sky tower, Parnell Village, Mission bay, the Vic Park Markets, Zoo and Kelly Tarltons. But, like already stated, it only cost $1.50 per ride on the city bus that does the same route. You just pay another $1.50 each time you get on. You won't do all the things in one day, so I found paying $1.50 more economical.

Fullers rangitoto island ferry takes you out to the volcnic island...$20 ferry fare and then $50 for the volcanic explore guided tour.

The SKy tower cost was about $28 to go all the way to the top. To jump off the thing, was about $180!!

Well woth the view though.

Enjoy your trip...we did!!

Hi Marilee,

If you are going to Waitomo, then chose the spellbound tour. It does not have as many tourists go through the cave, they let you talk, you can take photo's (unlike the others). It takes about 3 hours, but well worth it. (www.glowworm.co.nz) Tours run at 10am, 11am, 2pm and 3pm. You do a raft trip through the cave in the dark with the roof of the cave looking like the night sky full of stars.

Cost was about $55 per person. (not including bus or train to get there).

All I could think of was the little poem I had learnt....

I wish I was a glow worm,

A glow worms never glum.

' Cause how can you be grumpy,

when the sun shines out your bum!!

When you get to your hotel, they will have some pamphlets on things to see and do....get the Auckland A.Z guide, it has lots of discount vouchers inside. (www.aucklandtourism.co.nz)

The explore bus is $30 for an all day pass and takes you to the Auckland museum, sky tower, Parnell Village, Mission bay, the Vic Park Markets, Zoo and Kelly Tarltons. But, like already stated, it only cost $1.50 per ride on the city bus that does the same route. You just pay another $1.50 each time you get on. You won't do all the things in one day, so I found paying $1.50 more economical.

Fullers rangitoto island ferry takes you out to the volcnic island...$20 ferry fare and then $50 for the volcanic explore guided tour.

The SKy tower cost was about $28 to go all the way to the top. To jump off the thing, was about $180!!

Well woth the view though.

Enjoy your trip...we did!!

Thanks so much this is really helpful.

Marilee

Archived