A 19 year old HAS to be directly across the hall from adults now?

I can understand how this can be frustrating, especially when there aren't rooms next door or across from what you want. I can also see that some kids that are under 21 are more mature then kids over 21. I agree that age sometimes does not matter. I also don't think 18yr olds should be fighting in a war.

That said, I believe it is a good policy for RCCL to enforce. They need to cover their butts if something happens. They need to make sure it is the parents responsibility, not theirs if something happens to a child. If god forbid, there was a fire, an attack, a rape, death, going overboard etc.... I could easily see a set of parents suing RCCL for allowing the cruiseline to put their children away from their room and claim they didn't know it at the time of booking. I also think even mature kids make mistakes and although things can happen anywhere on the ship, most of the mistakes (drinking, partying, sex, rape, going overboard) happens in the cabins - not out in the open. I think kids will think twice if their parents are right next to them and could hear what was going on. I think giving rooms next door and rooms directly across is enough for now. I personally don't think they should allow parents to cheat the system either. I think families need to be booked together and next door or across. It keeps everyone safe.

I also think if this policy just started to be enforced a week ago, it has A LOT to do with the NCL incident and cruise lines reliability issues with underage children and their families.

So if you are married couple, of 20 & 19 years of age, does that mean you can't go on a cruise?

You can if you have a marriage license to prove you are married. But seriously, how many 19yr olds are getting married these days unless it is a shotgun wedding?

So if you are married couple, of 20 & 19 years of age, does that mean you can't go on a cruise?

They should wait until they are adults, since they are children in RCI:s view ;) ;)

But if their parents slept in the same room or suite, then it would be ok..;)

Lots of our service families still marry very early, but what a world :-(

Yes, but its still better than to go die in a foreign country because some former politians decided so before you are 20..

Make love not war ;)

I think it is a "good thing". I would want my teens close. Heck, my 25 yr. old daughter is booked next door on Mariner in May.

I could not sleep at night knowing my 12 or 13 yr. old was down the hall.

I feel the whole group needs to watch after each other, even 45 yr. olds.

RCCL Mariner of the seas Sept 2007

Whoever told you the 25 and older rule was wrong, RCCL only requires someone to be 21 and up in the room. The reason your 20 your old sister could not be in a cabin without a 21 year old was because she was not YOUR child (even though she was a relative).

I just tried to book my Alaska cruise, and was told my 19 year old HAS to be directly across the hall from me, or in a cabin next door.

Is this true? He refused to book a cabin 4 cabins down from me...

He said this was implemented 1 week ago, and they are very strict on this.

My kid (19) and his friends (19) were 6 decks away from us. :D

"NO more cabins down the hall, no exceptions. Has nothing to do with muster station either."

Brilliant news - now the parents can listen to what other guests have to put up with !!

WELL DONE RCCL !!

jj.......

This is from the RCCL Guest Code. Looks like until they are 21 they are considered minors on the ship and they may feel that by putting kids across the hall or next to the parents will encourage supervision.

Parental and Guardian Responsibility

For purposes of this Guest Conduct Policy, a minor is defined as anyone under the age of 21. Parents

and guardians are responsible for the behavior and appropriate supervision of their accompanying

minor(s) throughout their vacation. This obligation applies during transfers to and from ships, inside

terminals, while onboard, at our ports of call, during shore excursions and at our private destinations.

This responsibility applies at all times, regardless of whether the parents and guardians are physically in

the company of their minor(s).

This will be the first time my daughter and I will be sharing a cabin since she became a teenager almost 3 years ago. When she was 13 she shared one with two older cousins and the next time, with 3 girlfriends, all 14. So, she's going to be in for a rude awakening if she thinks she's going to stay out all night. I'll be right there in the cabin waiting for her. She'll be 16½ by then. This is the one time I wish my husband was coming along! I'm not so sure of this "Mother-Daughter" bonding cruise. I loved it when we cruised when she was 9 and 10! Those were the days. :p

I like my teenage daughter in the same room so I can monitor her better.

I'm happy to hear there is a 1:00 AM curfew for teens under 18. So, they REALLY enforce it?? I hope so. Of course, that might not keep them from going into other teens' cabins (while their parents are out gambling or partying.) :eek: I'm going to be making some firm guidelines before my daughter and I even step foot on our cruise.

I shared a balcony cabin with my 2 kids (17 and 23) on Adventure of the Seas the week before Easter. It was my son's (the 17-year-old) first cruise. I was very happy that RCI had a 1 a.m. curfew for those under 18, they were strict about not allowing alcohol to be brought onboard (to the point of having me shake my water bottle to prove there was no booze in it), and security asked if my son was with me when we got off the ship midday in one port. I do think minors who have their own cabin ought to be within spitting distance of their parent(s)' cabin.

Not to those who have loved ones with anorexia, like I do.:(

I am really sorry for that, it is not my intention to offend anyone. If I still do, I apologize. (not in religion, politics and Thong-discussions of course :p )

I am really sorry for that, it is not my intention to offend anyone. If I still do, I apologize. (not in religion, politics and Thong-discussions of course :p )

You aren't offending me, and I know that that is not your intention.;) It just brings it home to me every time I see it. My loved one would have died last year if they weren't committed to the hospital. Eating disorders are the most deadly mental health illness there is - 25% of the people that have an eating disorder die from it.:(

I do understand the joke behind it; I've just been (and am still going through) a lot.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programming! I don't mean to be a downer!

Last year when I was booking my sister with us I was told I had to have an adult in the same room as her even though it was across the hall...she was 20! And not only did there have to be an adult' date=' but that adult had to be OVER 25! The original room we wanted was 5 cabins away and I was told absolutely not unless there was an over 25 in the room with her. So same deal.[/quote']

Oh my! When BF and I went on Sovereign, at least one of us had to be 21+, luckily he was. I was 20 at the time.

Archived