Juneau-Glacier View Kayak or Taku Glacier Lodge Flight??

DJD-Houston

I know, I know, it's got to be a personal decision! But I'm looking for help and opinions from the experts here!

I'll be on RCCL's Serenade of the Seas in late July/early August for my first Alaskan cruise (actually first cruise ever) and I'm looking for help deciding on excursions in Juneau. I've narrowed it down to two choices. Either the Taku Glacier Lodge Flight and Feast or the Glacier View Sea Kayaking. I know these are two totally different types of trips but they both appeal to me and I'll only have time for one or the other since we will only be in port from 7:00 am until 3:00 pm. I'm scheduled to do a kayaking trip in Icy Strait Point, so I guess that makes me lean towards the Taku trip in Juneau. On the other hand, judging from the title of the excursion, I expect that the kayaking in Juneau will get me up close to glaciers? I assume this will not be true of the Icy Strait kayak trip? I am also scheduled for a helicoptor glacier landing out of Skagway so even if I don't do the Taku flight I'll still have a glacier flight excursion assuming the weather cooperates. Which brings up another question, how often are the flights cancelled due to weather? If getting in at least one flight is important to me, maybe I should schedule flight excursions in two ports just in case the weather doesn't cooperate in one place or the other? . . . HELP! I'm confused!! :confused:

TIA for any help! ;)

Deborah

We took the Taku Lodge trip and loved it. You land right in front of a glacier and have a deilcious salmon dinner. The views on the flight are spectacular. I highly recommend it. I have pictures at the link below if you'd like to see some of the scenery.

We took the Taku Lodge trip and loved it. You land right in front of a glacier and have a deilcious salmon dinner. The views on the flight are spectacular. I highly recommend it. I have pictures at the link below if you'd like to see some of the scenery.

Thanks Judy. I'm glad to hear you enjoyed this excursion and the pictures look fabulous!

Anyone else have any advice or opinions?

Thanks again!

Deborah

We did the Taku Lodge flight last August, and I can't recommend it highly enough! There is something surreal about sitting in a remote lodge eating FRESH salmon, and looking out a picture window with the Juneau ice fields in the distance and black bears licking the grill where your dinner was just cooking. It doesn't get more Alaska than that!

Archived