Dawn Garden Villa - Help!

Hi:

We have a temporary hold on a Dawn Garden Villa to Bermuda this summer (Suite 14500 I believe.) We have been on the Pearl in the Garden Villa twice and we certainly loved that experience and are anxious to go again. However, I realize that the Dawn is a much older ship than any ship I have ever been on. The layout of the villa on the Dawn is different as well. My question is this: if my family is accustomed to going on the newest ships, will we like the Dawn? Will we like the service, amenities, etc? Also, I know the garden area is spectacular, but is the inside of the suite itself on the Dawn very nice?

Quick responses would be very much appreciated because we have to pay the full price by tomorrow if we are going to make the trip. Thanks a lot!

Hi:

We have a temporary hold on a Dawn Garden Villa to Bermuda this summer (Suite 14500 I believe.) We have been on the Pearl in the Garden Villa twice and we certainly loved that experience and are anxious to go again. However' date=' I realize that the Dawn is a much older ship than any ship I have ever been on. The layout of the villa on the Dawn is different as well. My question is this: if my family is accustomed to going on the newest ships, will we like the Dawn? Will we like the service, amenities, etc? Also, I know the garden area is spectacular, but is the inside of the suite itself on the Dawn very nice?

Quick responses would be very much appreciated because we have to pay the full price by tomorrow if we are going to make the trip. Thanks a lot![/quote']

My understanding from friends that have cruised in the Garden Villas on the newer ships...Jewel, Jade, Pearl, Gem and also on the Dawn/Star that you will like the Dawn's Garden Villa much more. It is bigger and private than the newer ships. :)

There's been some recent postings of both those who have cruised on Pearl and Dawn in GV's and the Dawn layout seems to be preferred. I've been in the GV on the tour (not as a Pax!) and it truly was spectacular - the garden area with hot tub, etc., was phenomenal! Very private........

There are some that do not like the newer GV's as far as layout is concerned and IIRC the Dawn has the largest GV of them all!

We loved the Dawn (had an AB) and loved the Pearl but if I could cruise in a GV I think I'd opt for the Dawn.............the ship itself will be in great condition and all things being equal, the GV has a better layout on Dawn.

Book it. I don't think you'll be disappointed.

The Dawn may be an older ship (2002), but she is a beauty. I've sailed the Dawn 4 times.

I was recently on the Gem, and there's just something about the Dawn that I like a bit better.

If you decide to book the GV, note that 14500 has a bar area off of the living room and 14000 has a kitchenette. Otherwise, they are very similar.

Note: I've never been in Gem's GV, but...

Going "by the numbers," the Gem (& other newer ships) have the Courtyard Villas and the 2 deluxe owners suites. The Dawn does not have these extra suites.

Let us know what you decide.:)

What's the most important part? The Dawn GV is very nice, in fact I like it better than the Pearl. But I personally like the Pearl better shipwize. We're thinking about the GV on the Pearl for spring break next year because it's a great ship for our "younger" adults. I'd personally be happier with the Dawn.

Bobbye

In February 2007 I had one of the two Dawn Garden Village suites for my family (me and wife, daughter and husband and 3 grandchildren). The suite itself was fabulous. The disappointment was the rest of the ship that frankly is second rate...especially considering how much money the GV suite costs. As much as we enjoyed the suite, as soon as we left the cocoon of 14500 it was like going to skid road. If you are willing to spend that much money I would get top accomodations on a more upscale ship.

One great part of the GV suite is that you have a birds eye view of the shoving matches at the pool amongst guests fighting over deck chairs. Also it is a great place to watch the belly flop contests...

We have been in the GV on Dawn at least 5 times, 4 in 14500, once in 14000. We've been in the twin on the Star 3 times, and in the GV on the Jewel twice, and on the Pearl twice.

Each has pluses and minuses, but, on the whole, the Dawn/Star are nicer for three reasons:

1) The D/S has TWO full loaded master bedrooms. MsEscada and I discovered we much prefer the aft one--more privacy, bigger closets, closer to the Garden, but not as bling-bling a bathroom. The Jewel class has only one MBR, but the other two BRs have balconies.

2) The Garden is many, MANY times larger than the Jewel's, and the upstairs deck can host a party of 100 easily. Furthermore, on the Pearl, they robbed part of the upper deck for the new deck 15 suites, put THEIR hot tub over the GV's picnic table, and not only is the noise abominable, their dirty towels blow down to the GV's garden!

3) The hot tub is sensibly and comfortably located and laid out. At sea, you cannot use the Jewel-class tub because it's in the wind and sets up a HUGE whirlpool.

Also, you can combine the two GVS into one if you like.

The MAIN advantages of the Jewel-class are:

1) Access to the Courtyard.

2) The living room is nicer than the D/S's and has access to the garden through multiple sliding doors.

3) Private Foyer with private WC.

All in all, though, we prefer the D/S GV to the Jewel-class. Of the Jewel-class, the Jewel is still the best because they haven't robbed you of the best part of the upper deck.

We've not found the Dawn to have lost anything. However, we DO prefer the Star to the Dawn. Food's better.

Hi:

We have a temporary hold on a Dawn Garden Villa to Bermuda this summer (Suite 14500 I believe.) We have been on the Pearl in the Garden Villa twice and we certainly loved that experience and are anxious to go again. However' date=' I realize that the Dawn is a much older ship than any ship I have ever been on. The layout of the villa on the Dawn is different as well. My question is this: if my family is accustomed to going on the newest ships, will we like the Dawn? Will we like the service, amenities, etc? Also, I know the garden area is spectacular, but is the inside of the suite itself on the Dawn very nice?

Quick responses would be very much appreciated because we have to pay the full price by tomorrow if we are going to make the trip. Thanks a lot![/quote']

BOOK IT, I was in the GV for a 10 day cruise.....spoiled me forever. The inside of the suite is beautiful......the service the best!!!! The ship does not show its age. the Amenities are wonderful. You are treated like royalty......and could want for nothing....

We have cruised in the Garden Villa on both the Dawn (3x) and the Jewel (1x). Personally I prefer the Dawn. I love the central glass elevators and the service is the best (your concierge and butler are not busy with any Courtyard Villas or A2 Penthouses. The Garden Area is larger on the Dawn and much more private with less wind and the only other guests on your deck are your neighbors in 1400. On the Pearl I think they took part of the upstairs balcony of the courtyard and added a Concierge Lounge or a Deluxe Owners Suite A2. I prefer 14500 because we much prefer the bar instead of the kitchen. (duh)

IMHO the Dawn is more fun when she is cruising out of NYC.

Enjoy!

The Dawn is also great for Parties, we hosted a Red Sox Victory Party and a Mardi Gras Fat Tuesday Party and they rocked!

I found the Jewel lovely but a bit more formal ... we love to party on the Dawn.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2327746850087197623fNITdQ

Thank you all for your quick responses.

So it is safe to say that except for the living room, the suite itself is nicer. How is the service on the ship itself and is it maintained in good condition? Is the food good; it does not have to be flawless, but I have read some reviews that said it was not very good. The suite really sounds lovely; I am just paranoid because I have never been on a ship that was more than 1.5 years old.

Thanks again.

This is, of course, just my opinion, but I don't consider the Dawn "old" by any means. Yes, she's older than the Jewel class ships, but not by all that much. Do you really consider a ship built in 2002 to be "much older" than the Pearl, built in 2006? Sure, 4 years is quite a bit older if we're talking about computers, but not for multi-million (billion?) dollar cruise ships. Dawn was purpose-built for Freestyle, so the layout should be good. Sounds like the Dawn GVs are fabulous.

beachchick

Thank you all for your quick responses.

So it is safe to say that except for the living room' date=' the suite itself is nicer. How is the service on the ship itself and is it maintained in good condition? Is the food good; it does not have to be flawless, but I have read some reviews that said it was not very good. The suite really sounds lovely; I am just paranoid because I have never been on a ship that was more than 1.5 years old.

Thanks again.[/quote']

the ship is maintined and is in great condition.......the food.......in the GV you can order food from the better restaurants...........You can have whatever you wish basically. Don't even think twice..........just go, and enjoy

I loved the Garden Villa on the Dawn. It is very roomy especially the outdoor area- there is so much room. I have never sailed on the Garden Villa on the Pearl, but over all the Pearl in my opinion is a better newer ship then the Dawn. From what I read the Pearl Garden Villa is smaller then the Dawn's. You will love the Garden Villa on the Dawn!

To think the the Dawn, is an old ship is just silly. I am not sure what people expect but these cruise ships have 30 - 50 year life expectancies. I bet a lot of cruisers have cars older than the ships they sail on, and almost always stay in a hotel older than the ships, but never ask about its age.

Cruise lines maintain their products exceptionally well. THere is no reason to be concerned about a ship less than 20 years old. (BTW, the top rated luxury line has only two ships and both of them are over 15 years old. Go figure the age thing.)

I know these ships have long life expectancies, but I have read reviews of the Dawn specifically that said that the ship was not holding up well. I have also read reviews of the ship that said it was in great condition. I believe I acknowledged that I was being paranoid in a previous post. There are a lot of conflicting reviews out there and I am just trying to do my research.

Anyway, thanks for all the replies. The deadline is fast approaching; I will let you all know what I decide.

As much as we enjoyed the suite, as soon as we left the cocoon of 14500 it was like going to skid road.

Definition: skid row or skid road is a run-down or dilapidated urban area with a large population of impoverished abusers of alcohol and, often, other drugs.

I doubt you'd find anyone who was living on skid row aboard an NCL ship or any other ship for that matter.:rolleyes:

For all its worth, I kind of resent the implication that everyone else on these boards that go on cruises, just because they don't book the Garden Villa are less than you. Everyone makes their own vacation choices and you've found your money is better spent on a more upscale line. That's great. Others may feel the Garden Villa on an NCL ship suits their taste, as it did for you for you had your reasons in booking one also.

Are you the only one who can afford to book a Garden Villa? Don't think so.:rolleyes: As I said, people book and choose their ships/cabins/whatever for whatever works for them. But that doesn't mean that any person NOT booked in the Garden Villa is 'skid road' as you would say.

I'm sure those looking for information on the Garden Villa would like your input as you've stayed in one and can comment on it. However, I'm sure I and many others might appreciate it if you left your 'second class' 'skid road' comments to yourself. Although you might think otherwise, you're not any better than anyone else here.

Definition: skid row or skid road is a run-down or dilapidated urban area with a large population of impoverished abusers of alcohol and, often, other drugs.

I doubt you'd find anyone who was living on skid row aboard an NCL ship or any other ship for that matter.:rolleyes:

For all its worth, I kind of resent the implication that everyone else on these boards that go on cruises, just because they don't book the Garden Villa are less than you. Everyone makes their own vacation choices and you've found your money is better spent on a more upscale line. That's great. Others may feel the Garden Villa on an NCL ship suits their taste, as it did for you for you had your reasons in booking one also.

Are you the only one who can afford to book a Garden Villa? Don't think so.:rolleyes: As I said, people book and choose their ships/cabins/whatever for whatever works for them. But that doesn't mean that any person NOT booked in the Garden Villa is 'skid road' as you would say.

I'm sure those looking for information on the Garden Villa would like your input as you've stayed in one and can comment on it. However, I'm sure I and many others might appreciate it if you left your 'second class' 'skid road' comments to yourself. Although you might think otherwise, you're not any better than anyone else here.

Hey two things.

First I did not intend to insult any residents of skid row (road?) as at least those poor unfortunate folks were there by circumstance and not by choice. If anyone who lives on skid row (road?) was insulted I truly apologize.

If anyone wants a complete and detailed review of my Norwegian Dawn experience it is listed in February 2007 in cruise critic and is under the author's name "echobay."

First I did not intend to insult any residents of skid row (road?) as at least those poor unfortunate folks were there by circumstance and not by choice. If anyone who lives on skid row (road?) was insulted I truly apologize.

Thanks Bob-I never, for a second, thought you intended to insult the residents of skid road.

I gathered that your intent was to insult the cruisers on NCL! :eek:

Hey two things.

Hey two things.

First, your reference to 'skid road' did intend to insult those not sailing in the Garden Villa. Who are not poor unfortunate folks and many who could, but don't book the Garden Villa, are in other cabins by choice.

Second, money doesn't buy class. Book the Garden Villa for every sailing if you wish, but it still won't make you better than anyone else. No matter that high opinion you have of yourself which is clearly over inflated.

People looking for insight into the Garden Villa will appreciate what you have to say, but I don't think anyone appreciates your insulting and condescending manner.

What about restaurant reservations when you are staying in the Garden Villa. We will have 6 adults and 1 toddler in the GV, but sailing with about 14 other people. When we make our reservations for dinner, I'm assuming we can get reservations for as many of us as want to dine together. And if 10 of us want to go to one restaurant and the other 10 to another, we will be able to make all those reservations?

Thanks!

I have the Garden Villa for the 2 day cruise out of NYC on April 18th. Does anyone know if I am still entitled to limousine transport from the airport? If so, does anyone know how to arrange it? Thanks.

I have the Garden Villa for the 2 day cruise out of NYC on April 18th. Does anyone know if I am still entitled to limousine transport from the airport? If so, does anyone know how to arrange it? Thanks.

DuH! Either ask your travel agent if you used one or call NCL directly.

Archived