Last minute questions

maryella

I have tried to search for the answers to these questions but with the search engine being down it is tough so sorry to bother you veterns again.

With only 7 days to go before we leave for SJ I was wondering about a few things.

1. How are the blow dryers in the cabin? Are they the wimpy wall mounted kind or are they pretty powerful?

2. Embarkation says 2:00 is that usually the time when everyone arrives?

3. Since the ship doesnt leave SJ until 10:00 at night will they serve dinner on the outside deck the first night? Do people tend to get more dressed up on the first evening?

4. Can you make reservations for the topside restuarant? Is it hit or miss as to when they serve dinner outside?

5. Is there an iron available to use in your cabin or should I bring a travel one?

I found the travel power strip at Radio Shack and bought 2-----thanks for the recommendation. Also checked the marine forecast and it seems that the seas are still angry at 8-10 feet!!! A little nervous about that!

Now if it will only stop snowing here.......

I have tried to search for the answers to these questions but with the search engine being down it is tough so sorry to bother you veterns again.

With only 7 days to go before we leave for SJ I was wondering about a few things.

1. How are the blow dryers in the cabin? Are they the wimpy wall mounted kind or are they pretty powerful?

2. Embarkation says 2:00 is that usually the time when everyone arrives?

3. Since the ship doesnt leave SJ until 10:00 at night will they serve dinner on the outside deck the first night? Do people tend to get more dressed up on the first evening?

4. Can you make reservations for the topside restuarant? Is it hit or miss as to when they serve dinner outside?

5. Is there an iron available to use in your cabin or should I bring a travel one?

I found the travel power strip at Radio Shack and bought 2-----thanks for the recommendation. Also checked the marine forecast and it seems that the seas are still angry at 8-10 feet!!! A little nervous about that!

Now if it will only stop snowing here.......

Don't worry about the seas ... you'll be fine!

The blow dryers are hand held and are stored in the top right hand drawer of the desk. I always take my own so I can't comment on the powerfulness:p

Embarkation starts at 2 p.m. Yes, most people arrive then. It is a breeze and takes all of maybe 7 minutes.

Dinner the first night was in the Dining Salon. People were dressed the same all week at dinner. I wore a Chico's Travelers top and Chico's dressy capris. DH wore tan pants and a short sleeve button down shirt.

You do not make reservations at any of the restaurants, including Topside. Dinner on SD1 two weeks ago was served at Topside on Monday and Wednesday nights on our cruise. You can check with the maitre 'd to see if you can make arrangements to dine al fresco an additional night.

No irons in the rooms. We usually don't take anything that needs pressing ... and if we do we send it out.

So there is enough seating at the Topside resturant to accomodate everyone? I was under the impression that there were only a few tables and it was first come first serve-----or am I thinking of somewhere else on the ship?

So there is enough seating at the Topside resturant to accomodate everyone? I was under the impression that there were only a few tables and it was first come first serve-----or am I thinking of somewhere else on the ship?

Yes there is enough seating to accommodate everyone at Topside. You will eat breakfast and lunch there every day. There are three of four tables along the aft rail at Topside ... maybe that is what you are thinking of? If so, you may want to ask the maitre d' the first night about being seated there one of the night's when you dine at Topside.

The only place that you need reservations is at the Spa.

Hi maryella,

The hair dryers are OK. They are powerful enough, but I am bringing my own this time.

We never had to wait for a table at Topside. There always seems to be enough room for everyone onboard.

I brought a travel iron/steamer last time, but didn't use it. I'll press my clothing at home before we leave. Since I'm bringing linen on this voyage, I might use my iron for touch-ups. The laundry service onboard is efficient.

We're getting closer! :)

Cammiem

Have you gotten your cabin assignment yet?

Not yet. Our TA called last week & was told that they'd assign our cabin this week. I'd love to know what it is prior to leaving for SJ. However, it's OK if we don't find out until embarkation. In another thread, I stated that I'd be happy staying in the engine room. Hopefully, they didn't take me seriously! :eek: :)

I'll be sure to keep my eyes out for you once onboard. I'm sure you'll be easy to spot with your daughters. Looking forward to meeting you!

Sorry one more question.........

When we board at 2:00 will the rooms be ready? If not do they take your suitcases? I ask because if we will be separated from our luggage we will put bathing suits and coverups into our pocketbooks so we can change and enjoy the pool, bali beds etc.

They do take your suitcases on the dock. Every time we have sailed, they have been in our room when we arrived in it. After greeting the Captain, drinking the champagne, eating something, saying hello to old friends, then to the cabin. Usually within a half hour or so of boarding. You can, if you wish, not do all of the above and go straight to your room. Wish we were going.

Jim.

When we board at 2:00 will the rooms be ready? If not do they take your suitcases? I ask because if we will be separated from our luggage we will put bathing suits and coverups into our pocketbooks so we can change and enjoy the pool, bali beds etc.

EVERYTHING will be ready. It's like they've been preparing for months for YOUR arrival and nothing gives them greater joy than welcoming you aboard. Seriously! :) You will so love it.

Here's our boarding experience from November:

1:45pm. Our luggage was swept away from us to be x-rayed prior to embarkation, then it was placed in a large container to later be lifted aboard.

1:55pm. They announced their readiness for embarkation. We stood in a very short line with about 15 other passengers. After about two minutes, we approached a table shaded by an umbrella. We signed our contracts (ticket), provided a credit card for imprint, and handed over our Passports.

2:00pm. We walked up the gangway to be greeted by Capt. Berg and the AD. We were offered & graciously accepted a glass of champagne.

2:02pm. We walked through the Main Salon, where appetizers were perfectly displayed, then greeted the Head of Housekeeping at the stairway. She asked our name, doublechecked our stateroom number and introduced us to our stewardess. We were lead to our stateroom by our stewardess.

2:04pm. Our luggage arrived.

This might be more than you wanted. :)

I just had an idea. Since your daughters won't be drinking the champagne offered at embarkation, perhaps you could call SeaDream and ask them to have their favorite drink available to them for embarkation. Crew hands you & your DH champagne (assuming you drink it) and your daughters receive their favorite beverage at the same time.

Our experiences have been the same as Jim's and Cammiem's.

I think the longest it has ever taken SD in three trips to get our luggage to us 30 minutes.

Sound good to me! Great idea about the embarkation drinks for our daughters Cammiem. I thought you were going to say that you'll take their champagne :)

Now if AA doesnt mess up our flight with all these cancelations..........

Archived