Alitalia

I usually do so much research before booking anything but this time I didn't and now I'm worried. I booked my flight with Alitalia for Apr 29, 2008 returning May 15, 2008. I've been reading the news to find out what's going on and I'm worried now.

I guess I just wanted some feedback. I booked my ticket with travelocity. I didn't buy any insurance so I'm not even sure what's the procedure even if I wanted to cancel my ticket. What would you guys do? Would you try to cancel and book with another airline?

I knew it was too good to be true to get a direct flight to Italy for $850 taxes included.

Thanks for ur help!

I usually do so much research before booking anything but this time I didn't and now I'm worried. I booked my flight with Alitalia for Apr 29, 2008 returning May 15, 2008. I've been reading the news to find out what's going on and I'm worried now.

I guess I just wanted some feedback. I booked my ticket with travelocity. I didn't buy any insurance so I'm not even sure what's the procedure even if I wanted to cancel my ticket. What would you guys do? Would you try to cancel and book with another airline?

I knew it was too good to be true to get a direct flight to Italy for $850 taxes included.

Thanks for ur help!

I also have Alitalia tickets. They're for May 5, from where we get off the ship in Barcelona to Rome. I've also been keeping an eye on it. There isn't anything I can do about it. Even though I bought them from Alitalia , the tickets are non-refundable, they are also the least expensive so I doubt if another airline will accept them. And I will be on the high seas for two weeks before so I won't really know what's going on.

I have only a couple of things to make me feel better. Use it as you wish. First, my DH spoke to a co-worker who travels to Europe all the time and I mean she is on the road more than she is in the office. She said that this is actually common and so far nothing ever happened. And second, they are having an election is a couple of weeks where Barllesconi (sp?) is probably going to win and he is adamant that Alitalia will not be sold so he will probably keep the airline going even if it is losing money. That's what the union is hoping, that's why they're playing hardball. So, since there is not much else I can do, I am keeping a good thought.

And if it helps, I tend to have feelings about things (don't laugh, it's happened lots of times before) and I do not get a bad feeling about this. And also my husband tends to be lucky with travel and since he's also going, things should be okay.

Hope this helps.

It's not funny at all..I also have this feeling that it will be fine and honestly the more I read it just confuses me so no more reading, whatever happens, happens and there's always a solution (maybe not the best but there is one..)

Anyways, thanks for your input...made me feel better and actually I was reading more and then said it's unlikely they'll stop flying at least until summer is over!

jmichell - Alitalia is having financial issues which is why I am concerned.

Here's more info

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/s/afp/080403/business/italy_airline_company_takeover_alitalia_airfrance

Did you purchase through travelocity ca or com? The Cdn site has TICO coverage (compensation fund for when travel companies, airlines, etc. go out of business.)

In the event (hopefully unlikely) that Alitalia goes out of business, you can also check with your cc company to see if they will reimburse you. I'm in the process of doing that now for my Aloha Airline tickets after Aloha went out of business on Monday.

Here's a link to info & tips that hopefully you'll never have to use. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/23941323/

You might want to have a look at what's been posted by various members on the main Alitalia thread in the Cruise Air forum.

First, my DH spoke to a co-worker who travels to Europe all the time and I mean she is on the road more than she is in the office. She said that this is actually common and so far nothing ever happened. And second, they are having an election is a couple of weeks where Barllesconi (sp?) is probably going to win and he is adamant that Alitalia will not be sold so he will probably keep the airline going even if it is losing money. That's what the union is hoping, that's why they're playing hardball.
I think that this must be what the union is hoping for. It's worked time and time again in the past.

Unfortunately, they may be in for a shock this time. It's almost certainly going to be simply illegal for the government to try to bail out the airline again - whoever is in charge of the government.

... actually I was reading more and then said it's unlikely they'll stop flying at least until summer is over!
Unless something dramatic happens, this seems to me to be possible but unlikely.

IIRC (sorry, not re-read the articles I've been reading earlier this week) Alitalia currently has enough cash at current burn rates to get to about the end of June before simply running out of money. Remember, this is an airline which is currently losing money at the rate of close to $600 million a year.

However, one of the things which the board has already acknowledged is the dying swan effect. Now that the airline's parlous state has been so publicly advertised, with Air France - the only plausible candidate both willing and able to buy Alitalia - dumping Alitalia and walking away, people will simply stop booking with the airline. So the losses will pile up ever faster, as will the rate at which the cash haemorrhages away.

Now, if you shut down earlier rather than later, you could save some of that money for your creditors - starting with refunding your pre-paid customers and paying wages to your staff.

So on Tuesday, the board is meeting again to decide whether or not the airline has any prospects of survival. The worst case scenario is that Alitalia could shut down that day or the next.

Is that round trip and from where?
You're not thinking of buying an Alitalia ticket now, are you?

You might want to have a look at what's been posted by various members on the main Alitalia thread in the Cruise Air forum.I think that this must be what the union is hoping for. It's worked time and time again in the past.

Unfortunately, they may be in for a shock this time. It's almost certainly going to be simply illegal for the government to try to bail out the airline again - whoever is in charge of the government.Unless something dramatic happens, this seems to me to be possible but unlikely.

IIRC (sorry, not re-read the articles I've been reading earlier this week) Alitalia currently has enough cash at current burn rates to get to about the end of June before simply running out of money. Remember, this is an airline which is currently losing money at the rate of close to $600 million a year.

However, one of the things which the board has already acknowledged is the dying swan effect. Now that the airline's parlous state has been so publicly advertised, with Air France - the only plausible candidate both willing and able to buy Alitalia - dumping Alitalia and walking away, people will simply stop booking with the airline. So the losses will pile up ever faster, as will the rate at which the cash haemorrhages away.

Now, if you shut down earlier rather than later, you could save some of that money for your creditors - starting with refunding your pre-paid customers and paying wages to your staff.

So on Tuesday, the board is meeting again to decide whether or not the airline has any prospects of survival. The worst case scenario is that Alitalia could shut down that day or the next.You're not thinking of buying an Alitalia ticket now, are you?

Well, :(:( grumble, grumble, from past experience, (the old original auto train) we pre-paid customers will be last in line :(:(.

On the plus side :):) we'll be hearing something as soon as Tuesday.

From Toronto to Rome and on the way back from Venice to Toronto. That's what got me, the price...but i guess nothing is free in life!

WOW!!! That is a good price. We are paying $1600 on DELTA, from Atlanta to Rome round trip, leaving the first week of June. The Alitalia flight was the same though.

WOW!!! That is a good price. We are paying $1600 on DELTA, from Atlanta to Rome round trip, leaving the first week of June. The Alitalia flight was the same though.

We (family of 4) had flights on Alitalia for $467 RT from Newark to Barcelona via Milan in late June. I had gotten them in a "fare sale" back in October. Well a month ago we learned about Alitalia pulling out of Milan, and we had no flights. After a few weeks of dealing with their BS and not having the rerouted tickets issued, we requested a refund and they agreed. Now the waiting game begins with bankruptcy looming, but I feel we have a decent chance to fight it out with the credit card if they go under since our transaction was canceled before the news of the last 24 hours.

FWIW, last night we rebooked flights from Toronto to Barcelona on Air Canada and Lufthansa (via Frankfort) for $950 RT. Not nearly the deal we had before, but $5-600 cheaper than flying out of Buffalo, and about $300 cheaper than flying out of NYC (not to mention Toronto is a heck of a lot closer). I used Sidestep to search all the major east coast airports then booked with Orbitz. Ironically booking directly with Air Canada would have been over $300 more per ticket.

Mike, That's a great price. We like to fly out of Buffalo because it's a small airport and easy to get in and out of, but for flights to Europe, Toronto is always a better choice for us and Air Canada is our first choice.

Not sure if you are familiar with YYZ, but there is a discount parking lot (new as of a couple of years ago) that is across the street from the airport and linked to the terminals by a monorail. We used to park off-site, but this is more convenient. Here's some info in case you are interested, and a discount coupon: http://www.gtaa.com/en/travellers/airport_information/parking/reduced_rate_lot/

I did buy through travelocity.ca so hopefully the TICO will cover me :)

Thanks for that info!!!

That's great.... just hope that you don't have to use it and Alitalia will be in business for a while. But at least that takes some of the worry away.:)

Mike, That's a great price. We like to fly out of Buffalo because it's a small airport and easy to get in and out of, but for flights to Europe, Toronto is always a better choice for us and Air Canada is our first choice.

Not sure if you are familiar with YYZ, but there is a discount parking lot (new as of a couple of years ago) that is across the street from the airport and linked to the terminals by a monorail. We used to park off-site, but this is more convenient. Here's some info in case you are interested, and a discount coupon: http://www.gtaa.com/en/travellers/airport_information/parking/reduced_rate_lot/

We've flown out of YYZ before (as recently as last year to Honolulu). YYZ is a beautiful airport IMO, and for international or long haul flights is always one of the first airports we look at (along with the NYC airports and even Philly).

As for parking, for that trip we booked a park n'fly at the Hampton Inn Toronto Airport. For this one, I setup a ressie for a park n'fly at the Doubltree Toronto Airport for $186c inc tax with 1 night stay and 14 days parking included.

Thanks for the link though, that's a great rate for long term parking. We planned on an overnight in Toronto on the way back since out flight gets back in the evening, but that gives us another viable option if choose to suck it up and drive home after 15 hours of flying!

Susan, we agree, Buffalo is a great option for domestic US flights, though all you Canadians are overrunning the place these days! :D

They need more gates and parking to keep up with the demand! Last month they actually ran out of long term parking... MID WEEK!

Hi Mike, We're headed to Honolulu next Thursday on AC. Our first trip to HI & quite excited!

Where are you flying back from that is going to take 15 hours?

Sorry about the parking dilemma at Buffalo... we can't resist those low fare direct flights to Florida on S.W.:)

Hi Mike, We're headed to Honolulu next Thursday on AC. Our first trip to HI & quite excited!

Where are you flying back from that is going to take 15 hours?

Sorry about the parking dilemma at Buffalo... we can't resist those low fare direct flights to Florida on S.W.:)

We flew Air Canada last year to Honolulu via Vancouver. Great flights. Vancouver split the trip up nicely and the Air Canada planes and service were great. Hawaii is AWESOME! We went around this time last year. The weather is beautiful You'll love it!

As for our return flights, we're returning Barcelona to Toronto. I misspoke, I think it's just under 13 hours (counting a 2 hour layover in Frankfort).

We booked our flights in August for our Med cruise through Delta- who also is a partner with Alitalia. My daughter and grandson were called the other day and informed their return flight has been cancelled- so now we are waiting to see how they are getting home. My husband and I are returning a day later- and our flight is ok (at this point!)

Fran

Things look a bit bleak for the airline. Air France pulled out of the deal and there isn't anyone out in front wanting to buy. The Italian government says that they are currently in talks with 4 other possible suitors, no names of course. Because the airline is 50% owned by the Italian government, they can't bail them out. There will be no last minute save by the government. We have to hope that someone wants to buy the company. I have tix for my family of 5 from Rome to London and I'm nervous. Last summer, the Italian baggage handlers were "unofficially" onstrike and "lost" almost 70 pieces of luggage on our cruise. The unions have not been cooperating with management.

WOW!!! That is a good price.
It's not a good price if the airline then goes bust and the passenger is left scrambling around trying to find a replacement ticket at short notice, costing many times more.

Unfortunately, there are many infrequent leisure travellers who buy tickets on price alone, thinking that all airlines are the same - and therefore a cheap price is a good price. But as the events of the last week have demonstrated, airlines are not all the same. And something which looks too good to be true - as in all other walks of life - often is just that.

My husband and I are booked on alitalia for our september cruise. We actually booked through delta and the only flight we have with alitalia is from jfk to Rome all the others are delta. Hopefully our flight wont get cancelled. We do have insurance so i am assuming delta would just put us on another flight. Am i assuming too much?

Alitalia crisis has been on for ages, so nothing new in the horizon. Time is running out for them, since the E Union can´t pump more money, and the italian goverment is not permitted either. Presumebly they would continue operations, and other buyer will appear, but there´s not gurantee that finnaly they had to shut the airline down.

Air One bid doesn´t seem to be too definite.

That too bad. I love that airline. Even on short flights of less than 1 hour, they will serve you a glass of wine. They also distributed ice cream drumsticks and/ or biscotti with the wine and that was at 8 am!!!

Archived