Alitalia

Hi Everyone.

We too have tickets with Alitalia for the end of May ,Amsterdam to Rome. KLM is the carrier only not the supplier. Did some checking yesterday and found out even if you have travel insurance you are not covered in the case of bankrupcy.I talked to Expedia who sold the tickets, and was told what they are telling people with Aloha tickets is to contact your credit card company and see if anything can be done.So looks like we need to keep all of our fingers crossed that Alitalia is helped out by someone.Our tickets start with 055.

Looks like I will be one of the first to fly (hopefully) on Alitalia the beginning of May. Mine is ticketed through Alitalia (055), with a Delta flight from JFK-Rome and Alitalia Rome to Florence. The return is Milan-JFK on Alitalia. I was ready to cancel everything and pay the $300 penalty since my travel insurance policy does not cover if Alitalia folds. But, I did check with my credit card company, and since I used my signature visa, it is covered. So that makes me feel a little better, and less stressed. I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of us! ~Debbi

We booked Alitalia for Sept 6 to Rome returning 9/21 partnered with Delta. We do have trip insurance so feel pretty sure we will be OK but it seems to me that since the reservations were made through Delta that they should get us there somehow. Am I being too nieve?

Sheila, are you sailing on the CCL Freedom 9/7?

I am on the Splendor 9/23

Looks like I will be one of the first to fly (hopefully) on Alitalia the beginning of May. Mine is ticketed through Alitalia (055), with a Delta flight from JFK-Rome and Alitalia Rome to Florence. The return is Milan-JFK on Alitalia. I was ready to cancel everything and pay the $300 penalty since my travel insurance policy does not cover if Alitalia folds. But, I did check with my credit card company, and since I used my signature visa, it is covered. So that makes me feel a little better, and less stressed. I am keeping my fingers crossed for all of us! ~Debbi

What does this (055) mean??

Sheila,

Sorry we will miss you. We get off the Freedom on 9/19 and leave Rome 9/21 so we will be home when you are just leaving. Hope you have a great cruise.

I need to check with my travel ins. I just assumed it would cover the airline but maybe not. One more thing to worry over.:(

I wrote an e-mail to Delta and here is their reply:

Dear Mrs. H,

Thank you for contacting us.

Based on the information you have provided, your request cannot be

addressed via e-mail. Please contact our International Reservations

department at 800-241-4141 for questions regarding your ticket. However,

Delta will honor those tickets and there would appropriate protection

given.

Your selection of Delta is appreciated, and we will always do our best

to merit your confidence and support.

Sincerely,

Jason Samuels

Online Customer Support Desk

http://www.delta.com

I was impressed with the "Delta will honor thoses tickets" part specially.

I will contact Delta next week, I am waiting until after the Italian elections to see what sorts out.

I wrote an e-mail to Delta and here is their reply:

Dear Mrs. H,

Thank you for contacting us.

Based on the information you have provided, your request cannot be

addressed via e-mail. Please contact our International Reservations

department at 800-241-4141 for questions regarding your ticket. However,

Delta will honor those tickets and there would appropriate protection

given.

Your selection of Delta is appreciated, and we will always do our best

to merit your confidence and support.

Sincerely,

Jason Samuels

Online Customer Support Desk

http://www.delta.com

I was impressed with the "Delta will honor thoses tickets" part specially.

I will contact Delta next week, I am waiting until after the Italian elections to see what sorts out.

It is good news that Delta will honor your tickets (I assume this means refund) however, can they get you on another airplane and at the same cost that you initially booked with Alitalia?

It is good news that Delta will honor your tickets (I assume this means refund) however, can they get you on another airplane and at the same cost that you initially booked with Alitalia?

In my (limited) experience, "honor your tickets" means they will get you to your destination somehow, not that they will give you a refund. When other airlines have honored my original airline's tickets, it meant that they took the original airline's ticket and then billed them--not me, the passenger--for the cost. Has anybody had a different experience?

I was just wanting to get there without buying another very expensive ticket for each of us.

I read the reply to mean that they would put us on another plane. They also fly to Rome so it would be pretty easy specially at this early date.

I plan to call them either tomorrow or Wed. and I will post any information I get. I was waiting to see what happened with the Italian election as this is supposed to have some effect on Alitalia. In the mean time I am pretty sure they are still flying. If you look at their website they are still sellling tickets

In my (limited) experience, "honor your tickets" means they will get you to your destination somehow, not that they will give you a refund. When other airlines have honored my original airline's tickets, it meant that they took the original airline's ticket and then billed them--not me, the passenger--for the cost.
It'll often be the case that if an airline goes under and the airline that issued your tickets has to honour them, giving a refund is actually the easier course for the airline. In that situation, finding decent alternative space for the displaced passengers is often much harder to do than giving money back.

I finally spoke with someone from Delta and she said that Delta will try to help out the Alitalia customers but our tickets were issued by Alitalia [not Delta] and if they go under she felt sure that Alitalia would give us a refund or that Alitalia would have the other airlines to serve their passengers.

It didn't sound too promising to me. We will still have our Delta tickets to and from LaGuardia and if need be I guess we could buy flights from NY to Rome and back. Our travel insurance doesn't seem to cover bankruptcy.

Let us only hope that Alitalia keeps on going for a while anyway.:eek:

They still have great plans if you check out their website.

Claire - That is the airline that the Pope is flying to the US. I hope it works out for you. We are flying Continental - not the best deal out there but from our neck of the woods, we don't have a lot of choice.

DJ127

I just called Continental Airline, who booked our flights on Alitalia from Rome to Venice and back. He told me I shouldn't worry at all. If the worst does come to pass, he said he could book us on Air France through Paris with no problems at all. He told me there are 6 flights daily from Paris to Venice and because we are using frequent flyer miles on Easy Pass, we can change our plans without any problems.

He also told me that in his opinion, the government will not let their national airline go under and he thinks in the end, it will get bailed out. I told him he has more confidence than I do, but I'll listen to him for now.

Thanks Denise and Krazy4krusin,

I think the Italian gov't won't let this happen either but you never know.

In the event it does go under hopefully Delta will get us there either for what we have already paid or we will just buy another ticket and make it a much more expensive vacation than I ever imagined:( .

We will get there somehow.:D

Now I wish it would just hurry up and be time to go.

He also told me that in his opinion' date=' the government will not let their national airline go under and he thinks in the end, it will get bailed out.[/quote']Unfortunately, he's probably not well versed in the history of the airline and the politics of the EU! :D

Any bailout of Alitalia by the Italian government would almost certainly be totally illegal. That's the main constraint within which everyone is working, and why it's proving so hard to find anyone to "save" the airline.

Unfortunately, he's probably not well versed in the history of the airline and the politics of the EU! :D

Any bailout of Alitalia by the Italian government would almost certainly be totally illegal. That's the main constraint within which everyone is working, and why it's proving so hard to find anyone to "save" the airline.

And the EU has stated that there can be no debt financing, only equity.

The only hope appears to be private investors with cash.

For an interesting storyline go to Google news and type in "Alitalia sale" and do a "sort by date". There are pages and pages of stories that provide some interesting background on the problems that have plagued Alitalia.

I stumbled on this thread today and freaked out. We have reservations June 13th/June 27th on Alitalia/Delta. I called Delta and they acted like they have NO idea of any issues with Alitalia. She gave me the # for Alitalia (1-800-223-5730). I called them and was emphatically reassured that they are having NO problems, not to worry, etc. etc. The rep I spoke with wanted to know how I'd heard of this and he said that they are plagued by nasty rumors and that he would know if he was about to lose his job.????

We are part of this worried group. We are supposed to fly out in August. I am going to try and not stress more than I have already. I have been keeping track of the news and so far it does not look good. We have travel insurance that covers us, but I am more concerned about not being able to go.

I too am a little worried about my flight from Amsterdam to Rome at the end of May. I called Continental, since that is who I booked my flights with to redeem my frequent flyer miles. I was also told that they had no info yet and that nothing could be done at this point.

However, if you check on the Alitalia website, they are actually just starting flights directly from California to Rome (would they be doing that with an airline going out of business?). I've been following the news and although it does look bleak for Alitalia, it has been supposedly going under for years. I choose (maybe naively) to believe that the airline will continue or be taken over by some other airline.

Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

I think if Alitalia is still looking for someone to "bail them out" they have to keep operating as normal. They don't want to cancel anything because that would cause a major panic. So that would explain why they're doing business as usual. I'd be curious to hear what a travel agent in the know has to say.

Archived