Does the Golden Princess have the Fox Channel on the TV?

ChrissyBTX

I hope I don't get ridiculed for asking this question, but here goes. :D I'll be on the Golden Princess in a couple weeks and don't want to miss American Idol on Tues. and Wed. nights. Is the Fox Channel one of the stations you're able to watch on the cabin TV? I watched it on a Carnival cruise last year, but this is my first Princess cruise. I'd hate to miss it. Thanks!

I hope I don't get ridiculed for asking this question, but here goes. :D I'll be on the Golden Princess in a couple weeks and don't want to miss American Idol on Tues. and Wed. nights. Is the Fox Channel one of the stations you're able to watch on the cabin TV? I watched it on a Carnival cruise last year, but this is my first Princess cruise. I'd hate to miss it. Thanks!

No- only things like CCN and Discovery no networks.

Yeah, it's pathetic, isn't it? I'm so hooked on that show (Idol). That's really the only show that I do watch. But, it was nice that Carnival had a small selection of channels, ie Travel Channel and some other good ones as well. Not that I spend my time in my cabin watching TV all the time, but I do like to turn it on when I'm going to bed. Oh well, I'll survive...:D

Thank you for your reply BJS.

No broadcast networks as indicated above, so set your VCR (yes, that's what we have) or TIVO.

CNN, ESPN, Cartoon Network, some programmed channels (featuring sit coms, AFI specials), movie channels. Sometimes if there's a major group above, there's special programming there. On our last cruise, there was a huge French-speaking group, so one channel was devoted to movies dubbed in French. We actually were watching parts of The Incredibles and Bewitched in French, even though none of us in my family knows that language.

What's even more pathetic is if I would have realized April 29th was the last episode(the winner will be revealed) I would have booked the week prior, lol.

Believe it or not, I've never watched Idol.

Marie

I totally understand the way you feel. I'll be out in CA for 2 1/2 weeks. My brother lives out there as well. I'll just have him tape it for me because I'll see him after the cruise. Didn't even think of that. I started watching Idol 3 seasons ago. I thought.....there's NO WAY I'd ever like that show. Some people in my office talked me into watching it one night. Well, let me tell you, I am hooked. You would be too if you started watching it, LOL. BTW,,,,I've never watched BB either, altho I've heard lots of people talking about it.

Thanks Cruisin Chick. Glad to hear they do show some movies. They had a movie channel in Spanish on my last cruise. Not sure why really.

Lots of drama on BB,lol. Try to catch it when it starts up again. It's on 3 times per week. We have DVR so it will be recorded, but it's not quite the same :). For a cruise, I will make the sacrifice, LOL!

Edited to say I notice we are both cruising Mexico, but on different ships.

Marie

We even had several movies that were set in Hawaii (as it was a cruise to Hawaii).

I take over two VCRs before a cruise. The kitchen one allows five settings, the one in the den eight. Then I try to figure out how to allot the eight hours of tape to include The Amazing Race or Survivor, if they're on during the cruise, and As The World Turns. At least now several shows are being shown online (and I don't have to feel guilty now that the Writers' Strike has been settled). I'll be in trouble if I can no longer buy blank videotape.

Lots of drama on BB,lol. Try to catch it when it starts up again. It's on 3 times per week. We have DVR so it will be recorded, but it's not quite the same :). For a cruise, I will make the sacrifice, LOL!

Edited to say I notice we are both cruising Mexico, but on different ships.

Marie

Oh, I'll choose a cruise anytime over Idol, but thought I'd ask. lol

You're going a week after me it looks like. I believe the Dawn cruises from San Diego, correct? I booked a little late (a few weeks ago). I checked the San Diego sailing and all they had left were interior cabins. My folks wanted an OV and my cousin and I wanted a balcony, therefore we chose the cruise out of San Pedro on 4/19. One advantage you have is a longer stop in Cabo. Oh well, I'll have to try the Dawn next time. This is my first time on Princess and first time to sail the Mex Riviera. Still haven't gotten my cabin assignment. I'm patiently waiting! trying to anyway.

We even had several movies that were set in Hawaii (as it was a cruise to Hawaii).

I take over two VCRs before a cruise. The kitchen one allows five settings' date=' the one in the den eight. Then I try to figure out how to allot the eight hours of tape to include The Amazing Race or Survivor, if they're on during the cruise, and As The World Turns. At least now several shows are being shown online (and I don't have to feel guilty now that the Writers' Strike has been settled). I'll be in trouble if I can no longer buy blank videotape.[/quote']

You're funny! You're worse than me. Hey, I still have a VCR, too. Since I'll be on the west coast for over two weeks I don't want to leave any electronics on, so I'll just have to talk my brother into taping it for me. He watches it anyway. Guess you don't watch Idol either?

I re-use my tapes over and over again. Don't need to buy anymore til they wear out. Hopefully they'll keep blank tapes around for a while!

Oh, I'll choose a cruise anytime over Idol, but thought I'd ask. lol

You're going a week after me it looks like. I believe the Dawn cruises from San Diego, correct? I booked a little late (a few weeks ago). I checked the San Diego sailing and all they had left were interior cabins. My folks wanted an OV and my cousin and I wanted a balcony, therefore we chose the cruise out of San Pedro on 4/19. One advantage you have is a longer stop in Cabo. Oh well, I'll have to try the Dawn next time. This is my first time on Princess and first time to sail the Mex Riviera. Still haven't gotten my cabin assignment. I'm patiently waiting! trying to anyway.

Yes, out of SD. We can fly nonstop from here to SD so this is now my fourth cruise out of there since Sept! I keep saying, no more Mexican Riviera, but here we go again. I think this is IT though. We are in an interior cabin. They are pretty small, I hear. However, just outside our door, aft, is a public deck, so I am hoping to utilize that alot.

Cruisin Chick, we love the dvr. It comes along with our cable package, AT&T.

It is very easy. Btw, I lived in Sacramento 30 years. We left in 1993.

Marie

You're funny! You're worse than me. Hey, I still have a VCR, too. Since I'll be on the west coast for over two weeks I don't want to leave any electronics on, so I'll just have to talk my brother into taping it for me. He watches it anyway. Guess you don't watch Idol either?

I re-use my tapes over and over again. Don't need to buy anymore til they wear out. Hopefully they'll keep blank tapes around for a while!

Yes, out of SD. We can fly nonstop from here to SD so this is now my fourth cruise out of there since Sept! I keep saying, no more Mexican Riviera, but here we go again. I think this is IT though. We are in an interior cabin. They are pretty small, I hear. However, just outside our door, aft, is a public deck, so I am hoping to utilize that alot.

Cruisin Chick, we love the dvr. It comes along with our cable package, AT&T.

It is very easy. Btw, I lived in Sacramento 30 years. We left in 1993.

Marie

Actually I got hooked on Idol when I caught a show during the first season. Wasn't going to watch it, but there was nothing on that night. I actually have Kelly Clarkson's second CD and even hubby enjoys listening to it.

I've been trying to reuse my tapes over and over again, but sometimes I'll tape a bunch of shows and have a stack of them by the tv to watch (some months ago, there was an earthquake late one night and I can hear the stack fall on the floor.:o ). Often on Sunday mornings, I'll rewind a tape a bit and try to catch up while cooking in the kitchen.

We can record tv shows on our computers, but only if they're on at the time the show airs.

When we leave on cruises, hubby will turn off the water to the house and I think he unplugs the upstairs tv and VCR (he's the main user of them) and the computers. But so far, I've been able to keep the tv's plugged in that I'm using to tape shows. Maybe one day we'll get a DVD that records. We would have to buy an additional package from Warner Cable if we wanted to take advantage of their DVR. Not worth it to us.

We've gotten an inside cabin on all three of our Princess cruises (in fact for most of our cruises). Since the three of us are on the small side, it hasn't been a problem. We've done the MR twice and I think if we ever do another one, I would prefer to stay on the ship. We live about an hour's drive from San Pedro so this port's easy on us. Unfortunately, there's not too many cruises from there we can go on (has to be when our girl is on break from school).

I'm also hooked on American Idol, Big Brother, and to a lesser extent, Survivor. While onboard, if you're checking the internet, a GREAT site to check out is:

http://slimtainment.com/idolblog/

They add updates literally minute by minute on Idol performance and results nights.

(This is not a personal plug. I am not affiliated with this website, I just like it.)

I Love American Idol too. That is truly the only show I ever faithfully watch. I am very hooked to it, have been since Kelly Clarkson. I love them all, Carrie Underwood, I loved Katherine McPhee... This year I have several I really like. Is the show really over at the end of April... What will I ever do on Tues and Wed nights now.....

Marie

I know the feeling. I have taken 5 western carribean cruises out of Galveston in the last two years. It's REALLY time for a change. It's just so darn convenient since I live a little over an hours drive from Galveston. Most of them have been last minute cruises that I got a bargain on. I'm just tired of the port stops. We love Cozumel, but not too crazy about the other stops we've had in Mexico. Don't care for Jamaica and the stops in Cayman are very short (2:00) and just not enough time there. I wish they would have longer cruises out of Galveston that would take us further down into the carribean. But, when I'm really having withdrawals from cruising, it is very convenient. I had an interior cabin once and an OV a couple times. I liked the OV, but I really like the balcony if you spend a few days at sea, so we splurged a little this time on the Princess. It wasn't that much more. I read where the balconies on Princess were smaller than Carnival also. But, there's only two of us sharing the cabin, so I'm sure it will be just fine. That's great that you have an open deck right outside your cabin. That'll work!!

I Love American Idol too. That is truly the only show I ever faithfully watch. I am very hooked to it, have been since Kelly Clarkson. I love them all, Carrie Underwood, I loved Katherine McPhee... This year I have several I really like. Is the show really over at the end of April... What will I ever do on Tues and Wed nights now.....

I missed the first few seasons when Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Underwood were on it. They are both good. I like most of them that are still in the competition. They are all so different and my favorites changes from week to week. I wish they could continue the show throughout the year so it would never end. Four months just isn't long enough.

2Oregonians - Thanks for that website. I saved it to my Favorites. It looks great!

I know the feeling. I have taken 5 western carribean cruises out of Galveston in the last two years. It's REALLY time for a change. It's just so darn convenient since I live a little over an hours drive from Galveston. Most of them have been last minute cruises that I got a bargain on. I'm just tired of the port stops. We love Cozumel, but not too crazy about the other stops we've had in Mexico. Don't care for Jamaica and the stops in Cayman are very short (2:00) and just not enough time there. I wish they would have longer cruises out of Galveston that would take us further down into the carribean. But, when I'm really having withdrawals from cruising, it is very convenient. I had an interior cabin once and an OV a couple times. I liked the OV, but I really like the balcony if you spend a few days at sea, so we splurged a little this time on the Princess. It wasn't that much more. I read where the balconies on Princess were smaller than Carnival also. But, there's only two of us sharing the cabin, so I'm sure it will be just fine. That's great that you have an open deck right outside your cabin. That'll work!!

Same here, Chrissy. Living in OKC, we have cruised 4 times out of Galveston on the Western route, and I finally said no more. Cozumel is really the only stop we enjoy anymore and like to go to Paradise Beach. Also, I prefer to fly, and the transportation from the airport to the port adds to the cost. I find it easier and cheaper just to fly to SD but that has run it's course. Out of SD I've cruised on the Elation, Spirit, Oosterdam(twice) and now the Dawn Princes. We've had a few balconies(even a corner wrap on the Rhapsody) but find we never really use it much. It IS nice to have the option though. It's all about pricing for me.

Marie

Same here, Chrissy. Living in OKC, we have cruised 4 times out of Galveston on the Western route, and I finally said no more. Cozumel is really the only stop we enjoy anymore and like to go to Paradise Beach. Also, I prefer to fly, and the transportation from the airport to the port adds to the cost. I find it easier and cheaper just to fly to SD but that has run it's course. Out of SD I've cruised on the Elation, Spirit, Oosterdam(twice) and now the Dawn Princes. We've had a few balconies(even a corner wrap on the Rhapsody) but find we never really use it much. It IS nice to have the option though. It's all about pricing for me.

Marie

I've seen alot of complaints from posters about the travel time/cost it takes to get from the airport to Galveston. My parents (who are going with me on this cruise) live in San Pedro, so it's really going to be convenient for us this time. They live up on the hill and you can see the cruise ships in the harbor from their back patio. They always leave their car at home and get a taxi to take them to the ship since it's so close.

The Spirit is Carnival, right? Haven't been on any of the ships that you mentioned. Did you like all of them? I've always wanted to get an aft corner-wrap, but haven't done so yet. They're always taken when I decide I want to book a cruise. Guess I need to plan one way in advance to be able to get one of those. My parents keep telling me to stay off of the Carnival ships (lol) and try Princess and now I'm finally doing it. They've never cruised on Carnival, but they hear the typical stories about them. Actually, I've been on some very, very nice Carnival cruises. One of them was a total disaster tho. I was not impressed at all with RCI, but I'm willing to try them again. Also want to try HAL and Celebrity.

Have you done a southern carribean yet? Those are my absolute favorite. Fly down to San Juan and go from there. Absolutely wonderful. But, don't go on the Destiny! Princess has a ship that sails out of San Juan that I'd love to go on. Maybe one of these days.

I think Carnival is a decent product. Our last Carnival cruise was on the Spirit in November. We had absolutely no complaints, but I found myself saying, I don't think we will cruise Carnival again for a very long time. I am not sure why. For us, we have not experienced a drunk, party ship. HAL is currently my cruiseline of choice. I do some solo cruising and feel very comfortable and well taken care of when I cruise with them. I just finished my 5th cruise with them. Celebrity is a very good product but it is cost prohibitive for solo cruising. I have solo cruised with them once. My dh and I have not cruised Celebrity yet because I think it is a bit formal for him, but we will eventually. I have not done the southern route yet. We've cruised Eastern and Western.

Back to Carnival....I will have to say that it IS nice having some nightlife which is what Carnival consistenly provides versus HAL. I would not recommend HAL at your age, assuming you are young. I am 45 and that is somewhat considered young for HAL, but I prefer sailing with seniors rather than children. Also, the HAL crew is wonderful.

Marie

I think Carnival is a decent product. Our last Carnival cruise was on the Spirit in November. We had absolutely no complaints, but I found myself saying, I don't think we will cruise Carnival again for a very long time. I am not sure why. For us, we have not experienced a drunk, party ship. HAL is currently my cruiseline of choice. I do some solo cruising and feel very comfortable and well taken care of when I cruise with them. I just finished my 5th cruise with them. Celebrity is a very good product but it is cost prohibitive for solo cruising. I have solo cruised with them once. My dh and I have not cruised Celebrity yet because I think it is a bit formal for him, but we will eventually. I have not done the southern route yet. We've cruised Eastern and Western.

Back to Carnival....I will have to say that it IS nice having some nightlife which is what Carnival consistenly provides versus HAL. I would not recommend HAL at your age, assuming you are young. I am 45 and that is somewhat considered young for HAL, but I prefer sailing with seniors rather than children. Also, the HAL crew is wonderful.

Marie

What does HAL charge for a solo cruiser? 50% or ??? I have not done a solo, but have thought about it. When I do cruise, I usually talk my boys into going with me, but they can't go all the time.

I'm not young. I'm 57, older than you. I would probably enjoy HAL. I like the nightlife on the ships, but not necessarily every night. Altho, I like the nightlife, I do not like a bunch of rowdy, drunk people. So far, I have not seen that on Carnival, other than a little bit on the Destiny (long story). And, if I'm on a port intensive cruise, such as the southern carribean, I really don't want to stay up late. You have a port stop almost every day on those cruises and I have to have my sleep. I'm one of those that gets off the ship asap and one of the last ones to board again. I love the ports! Now, my folks don't care for the ports. They're happy to just stay on board the ship and stay busy doing onboard activities. I agree, I'd rather cruise with seniors vs alot of rowdy youngsters.

Chrissy,

you must try HAL. My first solo cruise and my first cruise with HAL(Canada/NE) was in 2004, and I loved it so much I came home and booked another HAL solo for a few months later(Alaska). All of my solo cruises I have been assigned dining with other solos. They also offer some single/solo luncheons and other activities. I mainly travel in insides which run 120-150%. I got such a good deal on my TA that I am in an OV which will be nice since it is such a long cruise.

Honestly, I love solo cruising. If I am not cruising with my dh, I much prefer to cruise solo. I've cruised with family and friends, and the solo suits me.

You are not having to "worry" about others, and can do what you want. If you want to be around others there are plenty of people to strike up conversations with, etc. Have you taken a look at the solo board here at CC? If not, take a look over there sometime. It may just give you the push you need to book one!

Marie

Chrissy,

you must try HAL. My first solo cruise and my first cruise with HAL(Canada/NE) was in 2004, and I loved it so much I came home and booked another HAL solo for a few months later(Alaska). All of my solo cruises I have been assigned dining with other solos. They also offer some single/solo luncheons and other activities. I mainly travel in insides which run 120-150%. I got such a good deal on my TA that I am in an OV which will be nice since it is such a long cruise.

Honestly, I love solo cruising. If I am not cruising with my dh, I much prefer to cruise solo. I've cruised with family and friends, and the solo suits me.

You are not having to "worry" about others, and can do what you want. If you want to be around others there are plenty of people to strike up conversations with, etc. Have you taken a look at the solo board here at CC? If not, take a look over there sometime. It may just give you the push you need to book one!

Marie

I just looked at the details of your next HAL cruise. Talk about port intensive! For the first two weeks anyway. I'm jealous! Would love to do a 24 day cruise, especially in Europe. Need to retire first tho. That would take up alot of my vacation days.

No, have not checked out the solo board yet. Will have to do that. You are giving me that push I need! lol

120-150% isn't too bad at all. My parents also cruise HAL. I should go with them the next time they go and just get a single cabin.

They do the river cruises in Europe also. Have you ever done one of those?

Archived