Can someone explain this

dmoseley

Okay, we booked a Carnival cruise for Jan 05 way back in Feb 04. At the times the current rates were $461 a person. We booked 3 people in the room, one of us was military so we got the room for $361 pp. Now the third person in the room (the military)has to cancel out. I called Carnival to pay off the remaining money (I knew our price would go back to $461). The lady I spoke with told me if I get the deposit back on the third person I would owe a ton more money. I tried explaining that we paid the $250 deposite and then paid off the rest of the $361. Now I was trying to pay the difference. She told me that since the third person back out now that we owed for the current price of $700. This does not make sense to me and I need help. We had the room booked at $461. Everyone here is always full of solutions, PLEASE HELP!!!

This is how CCL is screwed up. I have a similar mess with CCL .For my upcoming cruise I am in an inside guarantee (cat 4is)for 4 people. To use some reward points I must be in a Catagory 4B so to change from the inside guarantee to an inside 4b, the cost is $592. Allmost $600 to go inside to inside, and the funny thing is,when I talked to them a few weeks ago, they told me that all catagory 4s are sold out but not to worry I got a 4c at the moment. But,since I did not pay for a 4c, I must pay for the 4b,even though they upgraded me to 4c, but since they are all sold out they cannot do it,even though my reward points would put me in an outside cabin.

Steve

My DH and BIL are both retired military. We booked for a cruise in July on the Conquest. An active duty friend of ours heard we were going and has now booked. We have some other friends who are looking at going and thought maybe we would try to get them the military rate off the active duty friend - since active can book more cabins for family and friends at the reduced rate - but retired can only get one cabin each. I called Carnival before we booked anything to ask what would happen if the active duty member backed out - since there is plenty of time until final payment is due. I was told that if the active duty members cabin was canceled that any other cabins booked at the same rate (they cross reference them) would be due at the CURRENT going price. So it appears that is the case. If they didn't do this there would be all kinds of people trying to get around the system in place that is intended to benefit those in the military - not that I'm implying that is what you are doing - just that some would.

I know it's hard to think of everything when making a reservation. It seems that you will have to pay the higher rate or book at a different time.

thanks for the unhappy information. I am sure that is there policy;however, our pvp from Carnival assured me that if the third backed out we would pay the original (non military) price. That is the whole reason we booked. I am going to fight it...I realize it may be a losing battle. Thanks again for the info.

Peanuts-

Is the e-mail you gave me for a supervisor or just a pvp. I have a pvp at carnival, but she is out of the office until Monday. This is just eating on me and I don't want to wait until monday.

Please email guestrelations@carnival.com or ask for your PVP's supervisor... go up the proper chain of command before sending an email to the CEO of Carnival. I wonder how many times he has had to change his email address? lol... Carnival pays alot of people alot of money to handle customer service. Sounds like the price of your cruise has increased, so any major changes could be subject to that increase... You can try pushing it with a supervisor or customer service... I would have just gone with the 3rd person as a no show, probably would have saved you in the end... good luck.

Also, mention what you said above about what your PVP told you. There is NO WAY he should have EVER told you that. Cruise prices change DAILY... from what I understand, when the military person drops, it is considered like a "new booking"... which stinks :(

Peanuts-

Is the e-mail you gave me for a supervisor or just a pvp. I have a pvp at carnival, but she is out of the office until Monday. This is just eating on me and I don't want to wait until monday.

No this email address is to Bob Dickinson, CEO of Carnival. You will probably hear from his assistant by email but this might be a quicker way of solving this problem for you. Any time I've ever talked to a PVP you can get any number of different version for the same question. As a last resort to your dilemma this may be your answer.

This has always been the case with Carnival reservations. If you change your booking (in your case by losing the person who qualified you for a discount) you will have to take the current rate at the time the change is made. You are in effect cancelling the original booking that was under a special fare code and re-booking at the best currently available rate.

The same applies to all sorts of situations. Say, for example, when you book a double occupancy cabin they're also offering a third person rate of $99. Two months later you want to add a third person to your cabin but the current rate for that person is $399. That's the rate you'll have to pay -- they don't backdate discounts. It's whatever is available at the time the change is made.

Don't expect much help from a supervisor. If they do something for you it will be a rare exception.

Unfortunately, this is Carnival's policy. Anytime you add or deduct someone from your original reservation, Carnival treats it as a new booking at the current rate not the rate you were originally quoted. I had that happen on two different cruises. I was lucky though, the difference in price for one cruise was $120 each for the two remaining people and the other was $100. I didn't try to fight it because it was clearly stated in my documents and I had planned a year in advance for both cruises.

Many of you read and responded to my post about Carnival uping the price of our cruise due to the third person backing out of our room. First, I would like to say thank you for all of your suggestions and help. Secondly, my pvp rocks. I called her yesterday and explained the situation. She said she would work on it and to call back in a couple of days (what is a couple more days of not knowing if you will cruise or not). Then just last night around 9:00 (Texas time) she left a message saying she had gotten the price dropped back down the the original price.

Carnival's policy may not be what I consider the best, but my pvp has bent over backwards to help.

dmoseley - Had your Travel agent not been able to help I would have suggested to "NOT" cancel the military ticket. The way I see it is 361 X 3 = 1083, while 700 X 2 = 1400. You could have split the difference between the two people of 1083 which is 541.50/pp. It just seemed cheaper to do it that way and just let the military guy end up being a "no show", and Carnival none the wiser. I am in the military and I have sailed Carnival twice on military discounts and I've never shown my military ID (except to the agent that sold me the cruise).

Andy

Archived