I am SO bummed! I'm supposed to be in Hawaii right now

80sGurl

Who is Snickers?

Yep. Snickers was the highlight of the cruise. We never got to see him as they kept him in an empty cabin (probably one of the no-shows due to ATA) but we got reports and pix every day.

And yes it was the Pride of ALoha.. So aloha to Snickers. And Gulliver we hope.

Tina - Still keeping my fingers crossed for you too. Maybe even a future cruise credit, future onboard credit, something to take away at least a little of the sting.

Here are some Snickers stories. Snickers and Gulliver, a macaw, were abandoned by their owners on Fanning Island when their sailboat broke down and they spent 95 days adrift until coming to Fanning. Snickers has been rescued and they are still trying to get the bird off the island.

Snickers stories

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24148815/

http://recent-us-news.com/data/articles_n16/idn2008.04.19.07.37.18.html

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=M1&Dato=20080417&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=804170804&Ref=PH

And here’s a Gulliver blog:

http://gulliversisland.wordpress.com/

but something about the OP's positive approach and non-accusatory tone really kept me going. To the OP, no words can express how smpathetic I am to your situation. We all know the could've, would've, should'ves but who could have foreseen this? Besides, most of the insurance sold by cruiselines and TA's have a very common clause that excludes carriers dissolving. Until reading this thread, I didn't realize any insurance companies covered this clause.

To top it off you are also dealing with numerous moving parts with your unused vacation. Each separate component presenting a problem in itself:

1. Non-responsive/slow travel agency (In TA's absence there really should have been a back-up person)
  2. Liquidation of Sea Pass miles (redemption & stipulations are always tricky)
  3. Airfare with US Air & ATA (US Air really stepped up to the plate)
  4. Cruise Funds paid with CC
  5. Pre-booked Shore Excursions (Shouldn't be a problem)

I echo the other posters who commend you for your positive outlook and hope that something very positive will come of this.

Tina - Still keeping my fingers crossed for you too. Maybe even a future cruise credit, future onboard credit, something to take away at least a little of the sting.

Here are some Snickers stories. Snickers and Gulliver, a macaw, were abandoned by their owners on Fanning Island when their sailboat broke down and they spent 95 days adrift until coming to Fanning. Snickers has been rescued and they are still trying to get the bird off the island.

Snickers stories

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/24148815/

http://recent-us-news.com/data/articles_n16/idn2008.04.19.07.37.18.html

http://www.honoluluadvertiser.com/apps/pbcs.dll/gallery?Avis=M1&Dato=20080417&Kategori=NEWS01&Lopenr=804170804&Ref=PH

And here’s a Gulliver blog:

http://gulliversisland.wordpress.com/

This is my son's blog about getting the bird, Gulliver, off the Fanning Islands. He and others are working hard to make it happen. The story was covered on CNN this weekend too and he is in the video cutting Snickers hair - the poor dog was a mess when the POAl got there.

And the BEST part is Snikers is coming to live in Las Vegas!!! They call Vegas the 9th Island because so many islanders live here and it's the #1 vacation destination of Hawaiians. He'll be very happy here...hope to meet him in the dog park one day with Sake! :D

This is my son's blog about getting the bird, Gulliver, off the Fanning Islands. He and others are working hard to make it happen. The story was covered on CNN this weekend too and he is in the video cutting Snickers hair - the poor dog was a mess when the POAl got there.

I saw the pic of your son cutting his hair, I haven't seen the video. Hat's off to him.:D Yes, the poor dog looked a shambles but I saw the video where he was playing and such on the ship and it was heartwarming. I'm sure he was grateful to be rescued. Tell your son to keep up the good work and we're all supporting the effort by trying to get the word out. When I first heard of the story I did email a few news people and t.v. shows and such. Hopefully other people do to.:)

Tiyana-

thank you so much for reading all the pages and commenting!! That must have taken hours to read thru!! LOL....

Even though the whole experience has been pretty crummy, it's been really nice coming to this board to vent my frustrations because like I said before, who else could sympathasize with me as much as people that LOVE cruising??!!!

Love the stories about Snickers. That is cute. I'm glad he was found and saved!! He's really adorable.

Tina

but something about the OP's positive approach and non-accusatory tone really kept me going. To the OP, no words can express how smpathetic I am to your situation. We all know the could've, would've, should'ves but who could have foreseen this? Besides, most of the insurance sold by cruiselines and TA's have a very common clause that excludes carriers dissolving. Until reading this thread, I didn't realize any insurance companies covered this clause.

To top it off you are also dealing with numerous moving parts with your unused vacation. Each separate component presenting a problem in itself:

1. Non-responsive/slow travel agency (In TA's absence there really should have been a back-up person)
  2. Liquidation of Sea Pass miles (redemption & stipulations are always tricky)
  3. Airfare with US Air & ATA (US Air really stepped up to the plate)
  4. Cruise Funds paid with CC
  5. Pre-booked Shore Excursions (Shouldn't be a problem)

I echo the other posters who commend you for your positive outlook and hope that something very positive will come of this.

Hi Everyone,

sorry I haven't updated, but there hasn't been anything to update! The whole process takes very long to deal with and it takes forever for corporations to get back to you.

The bottom line of it all:

Carnival Sea Miles - I won't be getting any miles back. They just won't do it.

Norwegian - Guest Relations called today. I will be getting a letter this week basically saying that there is nothing that can be done. My very last minute upgrade can't even be refunded. So that's the scoop on that. I do have the number of a really nice manager at Norwegian that will assist me with booking a future cruise at a good rate. I have no idea how good of a rate, but that's about the only good thing that is the result of all this.

One other tiny good bit of news is I downloaded my credit card statement off the internet yesterday and there was a $217 credit from Norwegian on there. It ends up they credited me for the taxes charged on the cruise. I guess since they didn't have to pay the govt on a cruise I didn't go on, they returned that money. That helps a bit since I also just got the $600 charge for the upgrade on this last credit card bill :( :( :(

Can't say I didn't try or that I didn't have some really nice and sympathetic people helping me along the way!

...and the moral of the story is..... Buy Trip Insurance even if you think "nothing will happen to stop me from going on this trip" - I am living proof that this is not true! :)

Take care

Tina

It's too bad NCL couldn't do more for you. But, I'd certainly keep their info and price future cruises with them to see what kind of discount you get.

You've been absolutely wonderful about the whole debacle.

So, I say, HIP, HIP, HOORAY for TINA ! ! ! ! :D :D

• Administrators
Hi Everyone,

sorry I haven't updated, but there hasn't been anything to update! The whole process takes very long to deal with and it takes forever for corporations to get back to you.

Norwegian - Guest Relations called today. I will be getting a letter this week basically saying that there is nothing that can be done. My very last minute upgrade can't even be refunded. So that's the scoop on that. I do have the number of a really nice manager at Norwegian that will assist me with booking a future cruise at a good rate. I have no idea how good of a rate, but that's about the only good thing that is the result of all this.

One other tiny good bit of news is I downloaded my credit card statement off the internet yesterday and there was a $217 credit from Norwegian on there. It ends up they credited me for the taxes charged on the cruise. I guess since they didn't have to pay the govt on a cruise I didn't go on, they returned that money. That helps a bit since I also just got the $600 charge for the upgrade on this last credit card bill :( :( :(

Can't say I didn't try or that I didn't have some really nice and sympathetic people helping me along the way!

...and the moral of the story is..... Buy Trip Insurance even if you think "nothing will happen to stop me from going on this trip" - I am living proof that this is not true! :)

Take care

Tina

Tina, I've followed this situation just aghast at the situation in which you found yourself. You have been gracious, humorous, and reasonable throughout -- and I applaud you for it. I hope you make it to Hawaii for real someday -- it's an unforgettable place.

I also really thank you for coming back with this update today, and particularly the part about recommending trip insurance no matter what you THINK might happen.

I would add -- "and make sure the trip insurance you purchase covers bankruptcy/financial insolvency by a travel provider." Not all of them do, and in fact, most of those sold by cruiselines don't, for obvious reasons -- "Thanks for the $6300 for your family's cruise, now pay us another $450 to insure you in case we go bankrupt!" Yet people can, and have, been left holding the bag when a cruiseline declared bankruptcy -- Regency Cruises (I think I remember that being the line's name), and American Hawaii (I was part of that debacle, and have vowed never again to go through that).

You can check out www.insuremytrip.com and www.tripinsurancestore.com and compare coverages. Tina is hardly the only person left high and dry by the current financial situation and the bankruptcies resulting from fuel expenses, etc., and the vast majority of them will either have no insurance, or will have insurance that does not cover this kind of financial failure.

I wish you all the best, Tina -- you are a gracious lady and I admire your attitude.

Tina - After seeing some people on these boards whining and complaining about the smallest things and always looking to get something free, you have amazed me. You have been an absolute trooper. You never looked to blame the cruiseline for your misfortune and took every "No" you received with good grace (probably way more than I would have). I can only hope that you are somehow rewarded in the future for your great attitude and end up with the Hawaiian cruise you deserve.

Thank you Barbara, Michell and Laura! I appreciate it. Michell, thanks for those links, I'll save those. You've got a point that the travel insurance purchased needs to be looked at closely and I will be sure to do that in the future.

And yes, I hope I make it to Hawaii someday and you can be assured I will savor EVERY expensive minute!!! :) ;)

Tina

Tina - After seeing some people on these boards whining and complaining about the smallest things and always looking to get something free, you have amazed me. You have been an absolute trooper. You never looked to blame the cruiseline for your misfortune and took every "No" you received with good grace (probably way more than I would have). I can only hope that you are somehow rewarded in the future for your great attitude and end up with the Hawaiian cruise you deserve.

Tina, I have read this entire thread, I am so sorry that you were unable to recoup anything, even a future cruise.

Good things come to people with great attitudes and I truly wish you the best. Happy Cruising whereever your next cruise takes you.

Hi Everyone,

Take care

Tina

Hi Tina,

So sorry this happened to you. I can not believe that NCL can not and will not do anything for you, it just does not seem right. I understand it is not their fault either, however with the economic situation the way it is, it does not make much sense that they are not trying to keep a valuable customer like youself happy.:(

For anyone that has been following my story, I have another update and it's better...

Norwegian Cruise Line is offering me 20% off a future booking on any cruise. No, it's not a full refund, but I never did expect that since I didn't get Travel Insurance. So hey! I likey. It's better than nothing

Carnival Sea Miles - I called once again the Travel Agency about my Sea Miles to see if there was any way to reinstate them. As mentioned previously, I redeemed 88,000 miles to reduce the cost of the Hawaii cruise. It took over a week and the workings of a very nice travel agent (not my original one) and his supervisor, but they are offering me a $300 credit on my account to use towards future cruise travel. That equates to about 30,000 miles. So hey! I really wasn't expecting that

So that, coupled with Norwegian's 20% off, can be pretty nice!

I am currently looking into the Pearl that leaves on July 13th. I would love to make that happen for us. The reason I'm not looking at Hawaii right now is because flights from San Diego to HNL in the summer are going for about $850. Plus, the cost of the cruise in Hawaii is pretty high

Flights from San Diego to Seattle, where the Pearl leaves from, is running right around $300. That is much more affordable for us

Alaska is a place we've always wanted to go to. I hope I can make it work. I'm just inquiring about rates at this point with the Travel Agent and NCL.

So hey, a bit of a happy ending?!

Tina - Sounds like a great deal considering nothing was expected and I'm sure your 'niceness' in dealing with the situation helped you tremendously.:) I've heard great things about the Pearl and I hope you can make it work. Thanks for the update!:D

Tina - Sounds like a great deal considering nothing was expected and I'm sure your 'niceness' in dealing with the situation helped you tremendously.:) I've heard great things about the Pearl and I hope you can make it work. Thanks for the update!:D

A reasonable approach normally has far better results then those that choose to post on multiple boards that NCL has the worst customer service when they missed the ship and got no refund or credit.

Great news Tina.

For anyone that has been following my story, I have another update and it's better...

Alaska is a place we've always wanted to go to. I hope I can make it work. I'm just inquiring about rates at this point with the Travel Agent and NCL.

So hey, a bit of a happy ending?!

Wonderful! So very refreshing to read of the nice outcome and your great attitude Tina!

Beware though - Alaska is addictive.

We have been four times, and I'm ready to return, if I could. One cruise, one flight, and two road trips. It is so awesome.

Good Luck!

I loved Alaska also. Have fun. Remember it is only a couple months away and your Hawaii trip would already be over. Now I see you may have two cruises to look forward to this year. Cool

You have a great attitude Tina. And, like a previous poster said, Alaska is addictive. We are going on the Pearl August 3 for our 5th cruise and have another one booked for next year already. While Hawaii is pretty, and we have been there too, Alaska has a magic charm about it.

We even went to Fairbanks in March to see the northern lights. Just great even though it was 20° below zero at night!

Maybe we'll see you on the Pearl!

Thanks BigDog ;)

A reasonable approach normally has far better results then those that choose to post on multiple boards that NCL has the worst customer service when they missed the ship and got no refund or credit.

Great news Tina.

Sailaways- have you been in July? Is it a good time to go? I really haven't done much research. I hope my kids like it. I can't imagine that they wouldn't. It just seems amazing.

Wonderful! So very refreshing to read of the nice outcome and your great attitude Tina!

Beware though - Alaska is addictive.

We have been four times, and I'm ready to return, if I could. One cruise, one flight, and two road trips. It is so awesome.

Good Luck!

We loved the Pearl and love Alaska. We'd originally tried to do a Hawaii land trip for my DD's HS graduation in 2004, but the cruise to Alaska ended up being quite a bit cheaper. That was on the Sun, and DH and I returned last year on the Pearl. It truly is addicting!

I'm glad that you were able to get some compensation for your seamiles and the cruise discount. Hopefully you can get all the details worked out.

Sailaways- have you been in July? Is it a good time to go? I really haven't done much research. I hope my kids like it. I can't imagine that they wouldn't. It just seems amazing.

Tina, we have been to Alaska in late May - the very earliest on a road trip, which was so spectacular. Then again in June and August of different years. September was the very last Alaska cruise of the year. All were beautiful, with September still being very fall like for us in 2005.

Have no fear, whatever time you do Alaska, it's special beauty will be splendid. Be prepared for a little rain-perhaps.

I believe it will be a very special time for your children; with many stories to tell of their Alaska adventures.

Archived