Belize Cave Tours

sunworshipper

I am taking my first cruise on the Glory November 6th and one of the stops is Belize. There are six of us who are interested in the cave tour/tubing trip. I went on the X-stream tour sight and am very interested in signing up but I have one major concern - What happens if they don't get us back to the ship on time? Has anyone had experience with this? I have read posts where they say if you go with Carnival's trip you have no worries but the group size is larger and the cost is greater. The cost isn't as much of a factor for me as the group size and opportunity to see more of the cave whith X-stream tours. Any feed back would be great! I'm getting so excited about cruising!!!!

LH

Because of the length of that tour I too am concerned about not booking with the ship. I know the simple answer is "they would ruin their reputation if they did not get you back on time", but if I am going to leave my kids on board while I take a long tour I still have some concern. This past January in Jamaica, we were on a ships tour that was running late and we also passed a ships tour that had a broken down bus.

I am concerned that an accident enroute back involving the tour bus (even if not the tour drivers fault) would be a problem especially if it involved injuries.

I could just see someone posting on this board about how they missed the ship because the tour bus hit a school bus on the way back and there were casualties.The poster would get flamed for complaining.

Steve

We booked thru X-stream & Charles our tour driver locked the keys in the van - he said if he didn't get us back on time, he would have to pick up his daughter from school and we'd all drive on to Cozumel. He also said he's never not made it!!! We got back in time to catch the 2nd to last tender - a few were worried but I believe Charles meant what he said. It was a blast and our 9yr old came along. If you check out their web-site they have a tour just for kids.

he said if he didn't get us back on time, he would have to pick up his daughter from school and we'd all drive on to Cozumel. .

If he didn't make it, would him driving to Cozumel be accepatable to you?Missing part of your cruise would be allright?

Steve <---Would need medical attention for the heart attack I would have.

We booked with Wet n Wild and besides having the time of our life, had about an hour and 15 minutes to shop around Belize before the last tender. We didn't have any trouble, but really, it's your vacation. And though I would recommend Wet n Wild with full confidence, it's only a vacation if you have peace of mind. If you are that stressed about not making it, just book with the ship, sit back, relax and enjoy your vacation!

We also booked through action Belize and had no problem. We even got a short tour of the city and very personal service through the tour. We went inside the caves while all the people booked through carnval just passed by.

We even got to rope swing. It was half the cost and well worth it. We even arrived an hour late to the Island. I wouldn't worry

Not to deter you, but we just got back from Glory sailing to western carib. Woman got bit by a snake in Belize on the cave tubing tour. I was speaking with her friend on the cruise. She had to be helicoptered to a hospital - missed getting back on the boat and later rejoined the boat in Progresso. Her and hubby had to fly to Progresso. The snake was poisonous and she was still suffering from one-sided paralysis during the trip home. On the tour they give you a miners hat with a lamp. At first, they didn't want anyone to have their lights on in the cave so that you could view some of the formations above. After she was bit, they required you to keep your light on at all times. She got bit on the leg while riding the tube near the wall of the cave. So please be careful!!!

I am taking my first cruise on the Glory November 6th and one of the stops is Belize. There are six of us who are interested in the cave tour/tubing trip. I went on the X-stream tour sight and am very interested in signing up but I have one major concern - What happens if they don't get us back to the ship on time? Has anyone had experience with this? I have read posts where they say if you go with Carnival's trip you have no worries but the group size is larger and the cost is greater. The cost isn't as much of a factor for me as the group size and opportunity to see more of the cave whith X-stream tours. Any feed back would be great! I'm getting so excited about cruising!!!!

LH

We are on that cruise as well.... eight of us as part of a larger group. We are Cave Tubing with Marvin.

My DH is now completely freaked out about the snake thing! :eek: :D

Went with Xtreme in June - we almost missed the ship! We all had fallen asleep on the way back and nobody - not even Charles realized that the bus was barely going 30mph and having transmission problems. Changed to vans, then we hit not one but 2 funeral processions. The ONLY reason we made it back to the ship was that Carnivals tours were also delayed because of the processions. It was a nice day - but the adrenaline rush was not pleasant in the end.

Also be aware - if you leave Belize city you will be (or should be if they check) ineliable to donate blood for one year. Found out the hard way.

Not to deter you, but we just got back from Glory sailing to western carib. Woman got bit by a snake in Belize on the cave tubing tour. I was speaking with her friend on the cruise. She had to be helicoptered to a hospital - missed getting back on the boat and later rejoined the boat in Progresso. Her and hubby had to fly to Progresso. The snake was poisonous and she was still suffering from one-sided paralysis during the trip home. On the tour they give you a miners hat with a lamp. At first, they didn't want anyone to have their lights on in the cave so that you could view some of the formations above. After she was bit, they required you to keep your light on at all times. She got bit on the leg while riding the tube near the wall of the cave. So please be careful!!!

Are these snakes common? What tyoe of snake was it? Was this a water snake or a land snake? Has this happened before? Was riding near the wall of the cave a bad thing to do? Why would you now need to keep your lights on?

Steve

We did the cave tubing with Reggie and we got back before the Carnival tour, because the road was muddy and the big bus Carnival had got stuck, but Reggie got through with no problem. From what I saw the non-Carnival tours are much smaller, so you would probably get more out of it, but if you are a worry wort, you may not have a good time from worrying about getting back. Also the Carnival tour is about $30.00 more per person.

Also be aware - if you leave Belize city you will be (or should be if they check) ineliable to donate blood for one year. Found out the hard way.

Interesting. Here in Houston, I make sure to tell them we were only in Belize City, not the other parts, and that we were there less than 8 hours on a cruise ship. It's seems they are more concerned about people being in the more remote parts of Belize for an extended period of time. They still notate it in my record, but they don't keep me from donating blood.

Jana

As for the lady who was bitten by a snake..it is unfortunate, but The Caves are pretty wide inside so I can't fathom how someone ventured off to the side of the cave.

We also went with XTreme in February 2004 on my cruise to Belize on the NCL "Dream". I booked online for us & another couple travelling with us. We were the only ones on the tour with XTreme! We had a very personal experience. We also got to go into a second cave that the cruise ship excursion does not take you into. We we got LOTS More for LESS $$$. The food at the park was delicious as we ate it on the way back to the dock.

I'm so glad we had this experience and would definitely book with Xtreme again!

Debbie

That's horrtible that she got bitten and I'm not trying to downplay the seriousness of that situation, but there is danger everywhere. I have read hundreds, if not thousands of posts and various reviews of cave tubing in Belize and this is the only time I have heard of this. Not to say it CAN'T happen, but I think the numbers show that it's pretty rare. We went to some Mayan ruins at another port and sat down on the ruins to listen to our guide, looked over and there was a tarantula. And just like the woman who was stung by a jellyfish snorkeling in Cozumel, stuff like this can happen anywhere and it is a personal decision for each and every person!

Done cave tubing twice. tour guide said on first one that snakes only a problem if you vear off path during walk to cave. that made sense since snakes like most animals are territorial. i of course walked on middle of path. lol. no mention was made of snakes in water. if they are in water then there could be problems not only on sides.having likes on would not necessarily solve all problems. would like to get comfirmation on this and hope it really didnt happen. if it did i aint going again. i survived stingrays and other things but snakes are not my friends.

Just wanted to thank everyone for there replies to my post. I booked with X-

Stream today! I'm so excited for the fun to begin. I'm not too worried about the snake thing, I hate spiders but know it's all part of the adventure. I could step out my front door and have something get me so I'll take my chances in the cave ;) .

LH

Archived