Icy Strait Point - can't get out the gates?

shepp

I just got off the phone with an X rep who told me that Icy Strait Point is a gated area, and that people on foot are not permitted out the gates, not even to walk to Hoonah. She'd been there, and said the only way out of the imediate area was on a ship's excursion. This sounds improbable to me, kind of concentration camp-like, but...

I was thinking of taking a bit of a hike, but it now that seems iffy. Anyone have any accurate up-to-date info?

I just got off the phone with an X rep who told me that Icy Strait Point is a gated area, and that people on foot are not permitted out the gates, not even to walk to Hoonah. She'd been there, and said the only way out of the imediate area was on a ship's excursion. This sounds improbable to me, kind of concentration camp-like, but...

I was thinking of taking a bit of a hike, but it now that seems iffy. Anyone have any accurate up-to-date info?

This sounds like an April Fools joke; but a few days late. You can go anywhere you want from ISP.

Just a thought.

Maybe the X agent you spoke to had been there the first year they offered ISP as a port of call. At that time there were NO taxis to Hoonah. You had to walk or bum a ride with locals who might be going that way! And they discouraged you from walking since it was not always a nice paved, level road.

But that was a few years ago. Read reviews of Celebrity ships that have been there over the last few years to hear other people's experiences there.

Just a thought.

Maybe the X agent you spoke to had been there the first year they offered ISP as a port of call. At that time there were NO taxis to Hoonah. You had to walk or bum a ride with locals who might be going that way! And they discouraged you from walking since it was not always a nice paved, level road.

But that was a few years ago. Read reviews of Celebrity ships that have been there over the last few years to hear other people's experiences there.

Last two years I've both walked into town and taken the $5.00 shuttle run by the town of Hoonah. No problems.

Well, that's what I figured. It seemed impossible that ISP would be an internment camp. But - please believe me - that's exactly what the X rep said...though she also mentioned the Rainforest Tram, so maybe she was thinking of that trail now being closed to hikers. Still, I asked about Hoonah, and that's what she said. However, she was a really nice rep, and I have no desire to get her in trouble...not that I know her name, anyway.

Thanks, all.

That is really a bizarre thing for the rep to tell you since ISP is in the US. It is not like you are in a foreign port. The cruise lines do operate the dock area and it is a secured. Private tour operators are not allowed inside of the secure area. Maybe the rep got the facts mixed up. If you have scheduled a tour with a private operator, you will have to meet them outside of the gated area. The OP's are correct and you can get the bus to town. I believe you can also walk the beach to get there. I really enjoyed this port and I know you will too.

Your rep is wrong because we met with our private tour Capt. Floyd (F.I.S.H.E.S.) outside the gated area last May. It is a short walk to town, but as we were waiting for Capt. Floyd we noticed a large brown bear grazing along the road to town. Everyone was warned to avoid him....ha ha.

Archived