GALAXY: The Definitive Review...

garykool81

Gary - Thanks for a great review! You are completely right about the issue of quality versus quantity. I would prefer a better cut to a larger cut.

I appreciate your point about Michel Roux's style, but I have to disagree a bit with your comment on inappropriate expectations. Roux was been involved with Celebrity for a while now and there is a definite change. The presentation was always simple, but it was elegant. Twice baked potatoes have replaced potato baskets. Vegtables tied with a blanched scallion (or something else) are now just plopped on the plate. So the points others have made about presentation and the side dishes is based on past experience on Celebrity under the guidance of Michel Roux. We are wishing for what we used to have with Celebrity! If you went to the culinary demostration, you would have seen the potato basket that I mentioned. The chef spoke as if this presentation was still available, but it's gone with the recent food changes.

Thanks again for the great review and I'm glad you enjoyed the cruise!

Sheila

Thanks for the great review and pictures of the grand foyer. Do you have any other pictures on file?

I do have a question...We are sailing on a B2B from Baltimore to Galveston in Oct. and have a balcony CC cabin, 1098. Do the balcony cabins have VCRs? Do they have movies to take out of the library? Does the Galaxy have hook ups for computers in the cabins?

I would love to read any info on this.

Carol KC

Gary,

Thanks for your detailed review of your Galaxy cruise. We are doing the Med cruise in July and I really appreciate hearing what everyone has to say. I'm really looking forward to getting some feedback from the people doing the Med cruise in May and June! I think that as far as food quality goes, it is sometimes dependent on people's taste. My mother likes her meat well done and her side dishes not too spicy, so she will probably love the food as you describe it!!!I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

I have a concern about the pillows!! More than one person has mentioned how hard they are and I think the choice of pillows is only with Concierge service. I would love to bring my pillow, but packing it in my suitcase will take up so much space!!! I'll have to think about that one....Does anyone know where to get those vacuum bags that you suck the air out of? I heard they are great for getting lots of stuff in your case.

Oh well, in any case, I am so excited about this trip, I can't wait!

Bring it on.

Jane

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=800080&cdt=2004;7;2;19;00;00&timezone=GMT+0100

until Galaxy

Answers to various questions...

JANE: It is correct, from my understanding, that only Concierge Class category cabins and higher have the options of testing out different pillows from a "menu." Personally, though, I admit I am not a sort of pillow connoisseur, I found the pillows to be typical of what I would expect from any decent hotel. They got the job done.

I should also clarify that I almost always order my meat medium-well, so I am very used to having things a bit "tougher" than the rare or medium crowd. However, that explained, the meats aboard Galaxy on my particular cruise were still far tougher than any normal upscale restaurant where I'd expect to pay $25+ per entree.

Again, still great food as far as everything else was concerned. The meats were just a bit of a let down.

CAROL KC: The balcony cabins do indeed have VCRs. This is an ammenity even those in CC cabins will enjoy. Movies are available in the library for checkout.

I did not inquire if there were connections for computers in the cabins, but I have heard that many of Celebrity's ships will soon begin offering in-cabin Internet access. I am not sure what the rollout schedule for this feature is, or when to expect it on a ship near you :-)

I do have plenty more photos of St. Thomas, Nassau and St. Maarten. I took over 300, but chose only to upload interior/ship photos because I knew that is what we are all most interested in here.

Gary Kulash

www.badelephant.com

Carnival Holiday 8/02

NCL Majesty 1/03

NCL Norway 5/25/03

NCL Sea 7/03

Celebrity Galaxy 3/04

Celebrity Mercury 10/04

[This message was edited by garykool81 on 04-08-04 at 11:51 AM.]

Just goes to show you. . .I was on the same cruise and ate at the same table as Gary, yet I found the meats excellent!

Although the vegetables were delicious and cooked perfectly, I do agree with others that there was a lack of imagnination in the selection and presentation of the side dishes in general.

The only dish I really disliked was the lobster. They serve carribean spiny lobster, which has no claws and is more like a big cockroach than a classic New England Lobster. I thought the meat was mushy and had an off flavor.

Ed

Ecowen,

Must be the same as RCI then -- we do not like that type of lobster -- I think many first time cruisers must be expecting (I was) the "Maine" type lobster.

Thanks for all for adding your impressions -- as to the ship's condition, service, and food. As I am usually always dieting, I know I must not be that "picky" an eater!

Bookit

Thanks for that vivid description of the lobster, Ed. icon_wink.gif I've had Caribbean lobster and I don't think that's what this was. I think it was more like the South African lobster tails but I don't know where exactly they come from. I agree with you, it was the worst lobster I've had on any cruise. First one I sent back because it was mushy and tasteless (sort of like a cod fillet that had been passed through the deflavorizer). Second one was firmer but had a weird taste to it. By the way, I've never been on a cruise which has offered Maine lobster (with the claws). It's always been these warm water lobster tails. I didn't have any such problems with the beef dishes, except that I don't eat red meat all too often and by the third night I wanted something else. So I passed on the filet mignon which I'm sure would have been great.

Norway - 2/97;Leeward -12/97;

Grand Princess - 1/99; Leeward - 6/99; Dawn Princess - 11/99;Vision of the Seas - 6/00;Carnival Victory - 9/00; Zenith - 10/00

Mercury - 3/01; R1 -7/01; Grand Princess - 11/01; Majesty of the Seas - 12/01; Norwegian Star - 3/02;

Carnival Triumph - 7/02;

Maasdam - 11/02; Holiday - 12/02; Millennium - 4/03; Carnival Victory - 7/03; Zaandam - 8/03; Zuiderdam - 10/03; Enchantment of the Seas - 1/04; Galaxy - 3/04

Gary

Thank you for such an excellent review. I am curious if you feel it is worth $250/person to upgrade from a regular balcony to the concierge balcony? Is there much difference other than fresh fruit and pillows?

John

John, I'll answer your question because I've been in regular and CC cabins: I don't think it's worth $250/person extra for a 7-day cruise. But that depends on how much you are paying to begin with! To me, I would pay maybe 15% more ($150/person if the base fare is $1000). If you are already shelling out $2,000/person. . .you're probably paying too much, but then you shouldn't care about an extra $250!

Seriously, though, I loved the CC extras but there is a limit to how much extra I think it's worth.

ECO

...let us not forget fresh flowers and nightly "goodies" dish on top of the fruit.

Ed -- agreed. These are neat little "pluses", but I honestly could care less. As long as I am in an oceanview cabin that is a decent size (130+ sq ft) and has a non-obstructed view, I am a happy man :-)

Gary Kulash

www.badelephant.com

Carnival Holiday 8/02

NCL Majesty 1/03

NCL Norway 5/25/03

NCL Sea 7/03

Celebrity Galaxy 3/04

Celebrity Mercury 10/04

I believe we received an invitation to a private party of some kind with the captain, but chose not to attend.

Ed even got his own business cards from Celebrity for his suite hehe....course, he was also staying like a king in one of the royal suites :-) ...I saw part of one, and they are amazing staterooms.

Gary Kulash

www.badelephant.com

Carnival Holiday 8/02

NCL Majesty 1/03

NCL Norway 5/25/03

NCL Sea 7/03

Celebrity Galaxy 3/04

Celebrity Mercury 10/04

• 4 weeks later...

I am full of questions..it is our first cruise ever and we are leaving this friday the 7th of may from Baltimore to Rome for 14 days. I hope some short answers will help as we are new to this.

1. We got the cruise deal on skyauction.com for $500US each for the whole thing with oceanview cabin. It sounds very cheap compared to the published prices at celebrity.com I wonder if the service we get will reflect this deal we got?

2. I gather that all the meals are included and that alcohol is not? How about expresso coffees and other items?

3. Are there many options in deciding where to dine? Are there different restos like on a caribbean holiday where you have tickets for an italian resto one night and another for a different resto?

4. How did tipping generally work?

5. Is there a gym or some sort of sport facility? Pool?

Thanks in advance.

Jean Houde

Trenton, Ontario, Canada

Jean,

I'll try to answer your questions.

1. That sounds like a great deal. I've heard that skyauction can do that sometimes. You may want to verify that they did not use any special fares that you don't qualify for before you leave. The two that come to mind are senior (55+) or state of residence (sometimes they discount for people who live in some states).

Once on board the ship, the service will not vary because you paid a discount fare. The only difference is that you won't get some of the amenities that go with a suite or Concierge Class, but general service will be unaffected.

2. Your assumption on meals and alcohol is correct. I think (but I'm not sure) that premium coffees are extra.

3. In addition to the regular dining room, there is at least one alternative for dinner. The oasis cafe is casual and serves a varied menu. It does not cost extra. On M-class ships they have a very nice restaurant that does cost extra if you go there.

4. There is a recommended list of tips for each category of server (waiter, room steward, etc). A link to help you figure this out is

http://members.aol.com/CruiseTip/

It will show you who you should tip and the cruiseline's recommendation.

5. There is a spa, a gym and a pool.

If you haven't already done so, you should go to the rool call threads for your cruise. It has a lot of information and some nice people posting there. The link is:

http://messages.cruisecritic.com/2/OpenTopic?q=Y&a=tpc&s=927093444&f=9243096327&m=7203000437&p=1

Have a wonderful time. My wife and I are taking the reverse trip in Sept.

Bob

Archived