Formal Nights--Mediterranean

daphneducque

We're leaving for our first MSC cruise on the MSC Poesia on April 19. I understand that we are scheduled for two formal nights. The question is: how formal is formal on these Mediterranean cruises? Are long dresses okay? How about short dresses?

usually italian ships ard not so strictly formal as americans and british ones are. in a formal night u can easly find men with t-shirt and jeans. actually is almost 7 years i've not been sailing with msc and i'll sail again with them this summer. anyway they have usually paied more attention than costa ships about formal night ( for napolitans elegance is almost a kind of a dogma!!!) i suggest u to bring whatever makes u feel as STAR!!

let's say that usually for evening is commonly used to wear a long dress. generally short dresses are not good for a formal night or afternoon cocktail. in general the mini skirt is considered a kind of sporty outfit. have anice cruise, i really hope u'll like it!!!

On the Orchestra last month, on the formal nights, a few women wore long formal dresses (gowns); most wore cocktail dresses or fancy pantsuits. I wore a tuxedo on the first formal night and so few men were wearing tuxes that on the other formal nights I wore a suit and tie. Some passengers dressed casually regardless of the dress code, and they were not turned away from the dining room (although some were turned away from the captain's welcome reception).

usually italian ships ard not so strictly formal as americans and british ones are. in a formal night u can easly find men with t-shirt and jeans. actually is almost 7 years i've not been sailing with msc

I had the opposite experience on MSC in the Med 2 years ago (and on 5 other Med cruises on various lines). Everyone was dressed very well, a nice mix of long dresses and cocktail dresses and pantsuits, definitely no jeans and T shirts. And IME the Europeans dressed nicely every evening as opposed to what I have been seeing on mass market lines lately.

I packed two matte jersey long sheath dresses and dressed them up with accessories. They take up no space, need no pressing and look sophisticated. I wore dresses to dinner the other evenings.

Have fun!

• 1 month later...

Archived