Queen of Bermuda

brzymom

Has anyone here sailed her? My family did for a few years running when I was a young child. I have wonderful memories of those trips!! I danced the "twist" on deck for the captain one evening and he gave me a half-dollar (big deal in those days--lol!!). We sailed through two hurricanes, one of which caught us kids in the pool and my Mom running up and down the sides yelling at us to get out!!

She was originally Furness, but was purchased by Cunard. I have no idea when, but when we sailed her, she was definitely Cunard.

I found articles on her yesterday after I posted this which verify that, and I wasn't looking for it! Today, (on another computer) am trying to find that one again and can't!!

The following link though does list her as Cunard:

http://freepages.misc.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~slowbell/trough31.htm

I also sailed on the Queen of Bermuda, August 1963. Sailed from NYC in July on the Ocean Monarch with my girl friend - then a stay at the Elbow Beach Hotel and sailed back to NYC on the Queen of Bermuda. I saved the Farewell Dinner Menu from the Queen and now have it framed and hanging on my dining room wall along with a luncheon menu from the Ocean Monarch. Quite a thrill for an 18 year old. The Ocean Monarch docked at St. Georges and the Queen sailed from Hamilton. Bermuda is still one of my very favorite islands but it has changed quite a bit from the early 60's. We are sailing on the Queen Victoria on June 22 - Russian Rendezvous - can't wait. Beachgirl

[

The Ocean Monarch (13,654 grt, 516 ft. long) was built in 1951.

After 15 years of regular cruising between New York and Bermuda she was laid up,

but sold to Bulgaria in 1967. In 1979 she was sold to Greek interests.

During the final stages of refitting in 1981 she caught fire and sank.

The Queen of Bermuda (22,575 grt, 580 ft. long) was delivered in 1933.

An armed merchant cruiser, later a troop transport, during WW2, she resumed sailings for Furness Bermuda Line in 1949.

She was sold for scrap in 1966.

From a 1955 Furness Bermuda Line cruise brochure/sailing list

You may use my images on another website.

Then please credit them as being from the collection of Björn Larsson,

and preferably provide a link to my Introduction page.

Thank you!

I am stunned--I have thought the Queen of Bermuda was Cunard for over 40 years!! Guess it is still true, you learn something new everyday!! I had to edit my signature!! LOL!! I guess I'll have to stop saying that Cunard is my favorite line!!

And in my research on it, I found that it was typical at that time to sail to Bermuda on the ship, stay ashore at a hotel for 4 days or 10 and then sail back!! My family always sailed to Bermuda, stayed for the summer and then sailed back! According to what I read, it was these weekly sailings to Bermuda that were the precurser to cruising as we know it today--where the ship became the hotel for the entire trip. This was soon followed by more and more luxury and amenities.

Assuming you don't have it yet, I very strongly recommend that you buy the book Queen of Bermuda and the Furness-Bermuda Line by Stephen Card and Piers ("Peter") Plowman. Buy here. An absolute must for anyone interested in the history of cruising to Bermuda or indeed the history of cruising or the history of Bermuda.

Hey vtbobby--I noticed you list the Ferry for 20 years--could you be a Pointer?

Hi Tricia...sorry I didn't notice your location.

Do the paperboys still come down the boardwalk shouting "Pointer, Pointer...". Yes I grew up a Pointer...12 Reid Avenue, RP. Our family started there at the turn of the last century in a tent on the dunes near the Sugar Bowl.

Two of those ferries, built in 1913 & 1917, are still afloat and give cruises in NY State.

Email me at: sfbobby at gmail dot com if you would like to chat. :cool:

A.L.O.H.A.

Bob Ring

Thanks for the link Doug--that book sounds like a great gift for my Mother--born and raised in Bermuda! A cousin traced our family roots to arrival in Bermuda in the late 1600's!!

And of course, as my earlier posts say, we traveled back and forth on the Queen for several years running. So it will have special meaning to our family!

vtbobby--

I am here since '87, in the Surf Club for several years before that.

They don't say "Pointer, Pointer" anymore--they push a wheelbarrel like cart and say "Paaaaaaaaaaaaaapaahhhhhhhhhhhhh", as little ones my kids would say it back--then run out of the bungalow and get a ride on the cart!

The "Pointer" is still put out once a week, and younger kids deliver that-it's free--but they get tips! All of my kids took their turns earning a few dollars delivering those!

We live in "The Wedge", and tore down our bungalow 10 years ago and built a two story home. Best move we ever made--our kids have had ideal childhood!!

Tricia - Then buy two copies of the book, one for you and one for your mom. ;)

It really is a great book. Both authors are originally Bermudian, though they both wound up moving to Australia.

Stephen is a member of this site. If you ever see the user "PRINSENDAM", that's him.

Is Stephen any relation to Vera P. Card? I used to love to shop in her stores!!

By the way--being a bargain shopper at heart, I checked that book on Amazon as well, and the price offered on the link you gave was considerably LESS than they offered!!

• 4 weeks later...

Oh dear! I used to sail on both the Queen and the Monarch as a kid from Bermuda in the early 60's and well remember doing the twist. In fact my sister and I won a competition once. Scarily her name is Tricia too!

I would recommend Stephen Card's book too. Which reminds me that I must ask him for a drink as a rematch for the last time we drank together which was about 1972 I think!

Paul

Is Stephen any relation to Vera P. Card? I used to love to shop in her stores!!

By the way--being a bargain shopper at heart, I checked that book on Amazon as well, and the price offered on the link you gave was considerably LESS than they offered!!

Hi Tricia, Doug etc etc,

Greetings from a very WET Bermuda. 3" of rain today in about two hours!

VPC... same family. Sad to report that the Hamilton store closed a couple of months ago... building due for demolition... and the only store remaining is the St George's branch. And even worse news... no ships in Hamilton or St George next year other than a couple of occassional callers. Changed days from when QOB was on the run.

Also, Pier and I are working on a new book for 2010.... A Century of Passenger Ships to Bermuda. Watch this space as they say.

Stephen

Oh dear! I used to sail on both the Queen and the Monarch as a kid from Bermuda in the early 60's and well remember doing the twist. In fact my sister and I won a competition once. Scarily her name is Tricia too!

I would recommend Stephen Card's book too. Which reminds me that I must ask him for a drink as a rematch for the last time we drank together which was about 1972 I think!

Paul

Paul,

Ah! If I'm thinking correctly it was a bit later than 1972... perhaps 1974 and a visit to the cable ship SENTINEL involved?:eek:

Please drop me a line at prinsendam@hotmail.com

Stephen

Yes, could well have been '74! As we get older time expands. I will email.

Paul

Paul,

Ah!!!!! The penny just dropped!. Paul B. RN Retd!

Not 1972 or even 1974..... it was 1978... an afternoon session at the Ram's Head opposite B.F.&M.

Stephen

• 3 weeks later...

Archived