White Water Rafting excursion

snorkelman

I posted a similar question but used a different subject line and got zero responses.

Anyway, I have discovered a tour company that allows you to go white water rafting in Jamaica. This appears to be one of the island's best kept secrets. At first, all that I found was a bunch of excursions to do what appears to be relaxing/boring rafting on the slow moving Martha Brae river.

Then I found Caliche river rafting tours. I am considering using this tour company for my upcoming cruise to Montego Bay. Specifically I am considering the Grade III & IV Canyon White Water Rafting Tour which costs $90 per person and takes approximately 4-5 hours depending on the river flow (this includes time needed travel to and from the cruise ship terminals from Montego Bay (and even Ocho Rios).

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.whitewaterraftingmontegobay.com/

http://www.whitewaterraftingmontegobay.com/index2.htm

Sounds like a blast for the adventurous, and since it was hard to find, and nobody on CC seems to know about it, I guess none of you have done this.

In case any of you HAVE done this, I am interested in your feedback.

• 3 months later...

Then I found Caliche river rafting tours. I am considering using this tour company for my upcoming cruise to Montego Bay. Specifically I am considering the Grade III & IV Canyon White Water Rafting Tour which costs $90 per person and takes approximately 4-5 hours depending on the river flow (this includes time needed travel to and from the cruise ship terminals from Montego Bay (and even Ocho Rios).

Here's a link to their website:

http://www.whitewaterraftingmontegobay.com/

http://www.whitewaterraftingmontegobay.com/index2.htm

We are going to Montego Bay in April 2009 - I'm curious...did you go on this trip? What did you think?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Great experience.

Due to the last hurricane which damaged some of the location where the rafting company is set up, the owners have been lax about setting it back up. I am not sure why because they could easily make a ton of money if they improved their marketing.

poorly run, but if you can overlook that, the excursion itself is excellent. They don't provide you any food, but at the end of the rafting they have one guy who has a cooler of beer. I didn't take any, but it probably was free with the expectation of a tip. I tipped the actual rafting guide who was in our raft.

There were only 8 people and we were spread out in 2 rafts. Much smaller than the experience in Costa Rica where they had 16 rafts. Again, it all comes down to poor marketing.

Anyway, the actual rafting was worth the money. the rapids were great, and they even took us over a dam! amazing. Well worth the money.

I wish I had seen your post long ago, Snorkelman, as we did this tour last October and LOVED it! We ended up being the only two on the trip as everyone else in our shuttle booked the easy trip. My husband and I would both do it again. Wasn't that dam a trip?! And the shower?! :)

• 2 months later...

Snorkleman, Terri,

Looks like a lot of fun but we have a quation for you. Does the more adventurous (fun) Class III / IV require you to have done this type of thing before? My wife and I are interested but have never been white water rafting. The Class I / II allows 4 year olds so it looks a little boring to us. We are in our 30's and know how to swim. You ever get dumped from the boat?

Thanks for any advice you have.

Snorkleman, Terri,

Looks like a lot of fun but we have a quation for you. Does the more adventurous (fun) Class III / IV require you to have done this type of thing before? My wife and I are interested but have never been white water rafting. The Class I / II allows 4 year olds so it looks a little boring to us. We are in our 30's and know how to swim. You ever get dumped from the boat?

Thanks for any advice you have.

We did the more adventurous one and it was our first time ever! Everyone else on our shuttle did the other one, which we thought looked boring, too. Thanks to our WONDERFUL guide, we did not get dumped, or even feel like we were in danger of getting dumped. We tipped him quite well!

We are in our 40's and can swim, as well, but never needed to. They also provide a life jacket and helmet as extra safety measures. The course gets progressively more exciting, but there are also times you can just relax and marvel at the scenery. You're completely surrounded by lush greenery, and it's amazing.

We did the more adventurous one and it was our first time ever! Everyone else on our shuttle did the other one, which we thought looked boring, too. Thanks to our WONDERFUL guide, we did not get dumped, or even feel like we were in danger of getting dumped. We tipped him quite well!

We are in our 40's and can swim, as well, but never needed to. They also provide a life jacket and helmet as extra safety measures. The course gets progressively more exciting, but there are also times you can just relax and marvel at the scenery. You're completely surrounded by lush greenery, and it's amazing.

Terri,

Thanks for the quick response! This looks like fun...

We are looking at doing this with our kids since we have done Dunns River, etc..... Our kids are 12, 13 & 15 and it says the minimum age is 12. Do you think it is too wild for them? BTW -- they are all excellent swimmers and have done swim team, etc..... Thanks!

Terri,

Thanks for the quick response! This looks like fun...

No problem!

We are looking at doing this with our kids since we have done Dunns River, etc..... Our kids are 12, 13 & 15 and it says the minimum age is 12. Do you think it is too wild for them? BTW -- they are all excellent swimmers and have done swim team, etc..... Thanks!

In my opinion it would not be at all too wild for them...Dunn's River was more difficult for me, lol. The guide we had really instructed us well, when to sit on the edge of the boat, when to row, when to sit down low, etc. (Low was for difficult places or drop-offs, and he did all the work then, we just felt the bounciness and laughed in enjoyment!). It is a neat day, including the drive to the starting point (I think it was about 1/2 hour). I'm not patient on long drives or windy roads, but this was completely doable. Great scenery and I never felt scared.

Terri or Snorkleman,

Did they pick you up from the terminal or did you arrange your own transportation to the site?

Thanks!

Tracy

They picked us up from the terminal. At the time we saw their sign and met inside the terminal to the left of the exit. The rep there had everyone wait until the driver arrived outside, then she walked us out to the van.

Thanks for the info. I was glad to find this thread. Carnival used to offer this excursion but my daughter was too young for it when we went. We'll be going again this summer and my daughter is old enough to go now but Carnival has taken it off there list of excursions. Like I said, I was soooo glad to find this thread.

Thanks! :D

We emailed back and forth a few times, they were always VERY responsive. Sent me some pictures through Picasa Web- great photos!

My husband thinks it'd be too much for him. He had a massive heart attack 2 years ago, still has some issues, takes nitroglycerin often enough, and has an implanted defibrillator and pacemaker. He thinks it'll be a little too much excitement. He's probably right. We opted for an ATV tour. Will still be fun and adventurous- just not quite so excitable.

Have a blast, wish we were going too!

~Becca

I'm curious about how this compares with the tubing offered in Ochos Rios? We have two brave, courageous boys (7 and 10) who love water. They would be too young for the rougher rapids. Would they have more fun tubing in their own tube or riding in the raft ride. Are there rapids on the gentler course?

I'm curious about how this compares with the tubing offered in Ochos Rios? We have two brave, courageous boys (7 and 10) who love water. They would be too young for the rougher rapids. Would they have more fun tubing in their own tube or riding in the raft ride. Are there rapids on the gentler course?

i have not done the tubing...only seen it while on the zip line....i thought the tubing was boring because you are connected to one another and you float down the river....if nothing else, seems like the rapids would be more fun. perhaps someone who has actually done the tubing can let you know....i just know from what i have seen, it appeared boring to me.

Well, based on these reviews, I booked the excursion for the Canyon White Water rafting too. I thought my honey and I would like it. I wanted something different too, and as a previous poster said, nothing on the RC list jumped at me. I'll be in port on Jan 22, so I'll report back how it was. :)

Well, based on these reviews, I booked the excursion for the Canyon White Water rafting too. I thought my honey and I would like it. I wanted something different too, and as a previous poster said, nothing on the RC list jumped at me. I'll be in port on Jan 22, so I'll report back how it was. :)

Please do. Have fun!

Thank you! I too look forward to reading your report. I am torn between this and tubing in Ochos Rios. Are you arriving into MB or Ochos Rios port?

i will be anxiously awaiting your report....details such as how long in the water, water temp, price and most importantly, did you feel safe? good equipment in good working condition etc.

you know....all the good stuff. I can't wait to hear!

Thanks in advance!

Archived