Dress in Dining Room

luvstosun

I am new to this forum, and my husband and I have not cruised for about 12 years. We have been on Royal Carribbean, Carnival and Norwegian. This is our first on Princess. We are taking our kids for the first time in November on the Ruby Princess. I was wondering about the dress code in the dining rooms for kids, mine are 13 and 10. My daughter likes to wear the longer, more dressy bermuda shorts. I have read a few things about this and wondered if the same applied to kids. Any info would be appreciated.

I am new to this forum, and my husband and I have not cruised for about 12 years. We have been on Royal Carribbean, Carnival and Norwegian. This is our first on Princess. We are taking our kids for the first time in November on the Ruby Princess. I was wondering about the dress code in the dining rooms for kids, mine are 13 and 10. My daughter likes to wear the longer, more dressy bermuda shorts. I have read a few things about this and wondered if the same applied to kids. Any info would be appreciated.

Last summer on Crown, each night there were signs at the entrance to the dining rooms, 'NO SHORTS"....even so, people still walked passed the sign wearing shorts with no problems...I had dressy Ralph Lauren shorts for my 10 year old son, which he only wore the first night because of the sign....I must say though, MOST people, including children, were dressed appropriately....

We just got back from the Emerald Princess. My son wore shorts on the "smart casual" nights (slacks on the formal nights). But, he's three. My daughter (7) did not wear shorts. She wore sundresses or capris, but she seemed too old to me to be wearing shorts in a dining room. That said, I doubt anyone would have said anything if she had. We saw the forbidden jeans with holes and such as well and no one said anything about that either.

In spite of all the rhetoric relative to dress codes on Princess, as well as other lines, the bottom line is that such codes are suggestions only. I've observed major dress code violations on every line on which I've sailed, including Princess. What you are suggesting is very minor in the broad scheme of things.

I say if the shorts are like dress pants and would be suitable to wear with stockings and dress shoes then go for it. With airline limitations down to one checked bag per passenger, it would be difficult to bring a formal dress for you and your daughter unless your husband and son shared one suitcase for casual wear and all of your formal wear for everyone went in garment bag...

The dress code, aka the suggested dress for the evening, is the same for everyone, regardless of age. "Dressy" Bermuda shorts are fine in Bermuda and perfect for breakfast and lunch on a Princess cruise but not for dinner. Would she be turned away? Probably not but she'd be very underdressed. She might also get pressure from her peers that she'll meet onboard who will bring more appropriate clothing for dinner in the dining room.

The dress code, aka the suggested dress for the evening, is the same for everyone, regardless of age. "Dressy" Bermuda shorts are fine in Bermuda and perfect for breakfast and lunch on a Princess cruise but not for dinner. Would she be turned away? Probably not but she'd be very underdressed. She might also get pressure from her peers that she'll meet onboard who will bring more appropriate clothing for dinner in the dining room.

The youngster look so CUTE on Formal nites dressed in their suites and party dresses......They also act in a proud manner like little ladies and gentlemen......I love to watch them :)

"In spite of all the rhetoric relative to dress codes on Princess, as well as other lines, the bottom line is that such codes are suggestions only...."[(edited) quote]

I realize this is just a personal thing but I would be mortified by the snide remarks, dirty looks, stares, whispered conversations, giggles, cold shoulders, finger pointing and other reactions I have witnessed if I did not conform to the attire code, suggested or not. I also realize this would not bother some people. "After all, it is my vacation," etc., etc....)

"In spite of all the rhetoric relative to dress codes on Princess, as well as other lines, the bottom line is that such codes are suggestions only...."[(edited) quote]

I realize this is just a personal thing but I would be mortified by the snide remarks, dirty looks, stares, whispered conversations, giggles, cold shoulders, finger pointing and other reactions I have witnessed if I did not conform to the attire code, suggested or not. I also realize this would not bother some people. "After all, it is my vacation," etc., etc....)

Wow you have seen all those nasty reactions on a cruise. Truth be told they only really happen in cyberspace:rolleyes:

Yes I agree but it is also everyone elses vacation around you.:)

In the world of business you might be the cleverest one in the pack,but if you don't blend in with the group you could be the weak link in the chain.

In the animal world a mother might neglect one of its offspring...it sees something different about it.

Some one that enters a restuarant dressed much differently than the others do get looked at its just human nature. I know I do !!!!!

If you had conformed with the suggested rulings for dress you would not have got another look.

Really its up to yourself which you prefer.:)

Definitely some good points made Pam. And I totally agree. Shorts, no matter how long or short, are something that wouldn't be worn to a nice restaurant on land, and there is still that rule on Princess, no shorts in the diningroom for dinner.

She could try it, but depending on who is at the door, she also could be very embarassed being turned away and refused entry.

What about shorts for lunch in the dining room?

Are capri's OK for dinner on non formal nights?

Im leaving in a few days on the crowm and I am nervous for what to take.

It is always better to pack toward the dressier. You can always bring accessories to dress up your outfits. Formalwear doesn't have to be bulky. Bring a simple black sheath or other dress/gown of lighter material that packs down to nothing. A pair of black shoes or other color that can be worn with other outfits would also not be in excess.

For children, think along the same lines. Light and simple dresses/gowns, even suits for boys, can be easily packed. On our last cruise on CB, I noticed a group of young teens in a pack on formal night. The girls were all decked out in gowns and cocktail dresses following after a cute young man in a white dinner jacket and tuxedo pants. I thought it was so adorable. Even at such a young age, the girls go for the guy in a tux.:D

Even though times have changed in cruising over the last 15 years, people still dress for dinner on Princess. As other cruise lines relax their suggested dress codes, Princess still maintains theirs....even though a few slip through the cracks.

It is always better to pack toward the dressier. You can always bring accessories to dress up your outfits. Formalwear doesn't have to be bulky. Bring a simple black sheath or other dress/gown of lighter material that packs down to nothing. A pair of black shoes or other color that can be worn with other outfits would also not be in excess.

For children, think along the same lines. Light and simple dresses/gowns, even suits for boys, can be easily packed. On our last cruise on CB, I noticed a group of young teens in a pack on formal night. The girls were all decked out in gowns and cocktail dresses following after a cute young man in a white dinner jacket and tuxedo pants. I thought it was so adorable. Even at such a young age, the girls go for the guy in a tux.:D

Even though times have changed in cruising over the last 15 years, people still dress for dinner on Princess. As other cruise lines relax their suggested dress codes, Princess still maintains theirs....even though a few slip through the cracks.

On our Diamond Princess cruise our 15 year old (at the time) did not want to dress up beyond dress shirt and pants for dinner nor did any of his new friends.

The first formal night he saw one of the friends in a tux and saw all the girls chasing Tux-boy around all night....this upcoming CB cruise Master QT has requested a Tux :)

Personally we saw all kinds in the dining room including a man wearing a beer tee-shirt and baseball cap at dinner :(

I want to knock it off his head *completely by acident of course* (I hate Baseball caps at the table, consider it to be a sign of disrespect) but DH stopped me ;)

On our Diamond Princess cruise our 15 year old (at the time) did not want to dress up beyond dress shirt and pants for dinner nor did any of his new friends.

The first formal night he saw one of the friends in a tux and saw all the girls chasing Tux-boy around all night....this upcoming CB cruise Master QT has requested a Tux :)

Personally we saw all kinds in the dining room including a man wearing a beer tee-shirt and baseball cap at dinner :(

I want to knock it off his head *completely by acident of course* (I hate Baseball caps at the table, consider it to be a sign of disrespect) but DH stopped me

And, we were not on your cruise! It's good to see the younger crowd knows the way to go.:) Bravo to Master QT! BTW, our tux-boy sighting was on the CB last Summer. I hope he has fun with all the girls.:D

I have to respectfully and reluctantly disagree with Pam and Toto, two posters for whom I have immense respect. I do firmly believe in the dress code and the importance of following it, HOWEVER, I also think that Princess can be a bit behind the times. I think dressy Bermuda-length shorts are entirely appropriate for dinner on non-formal nights, when worn with a dressier top and the correct footwear. In my opinion, this is an entirely appropriate and fashion-forward look: I wore on the last night of my most recent cruise black tropical-weight wool Bermuda shorts, a black bracelet-sleeved wrap-style top and high-heeled strappy sandals. I was certainly not "underdressed" in comparison to those women wearing capris or -gulp- jeans. The problem is, of course, that just because shorts are Bermuda length does not make them appropriate evening attire -- it's all about the fabric and the cut, so I guess the code has to be more restrictive. However, I didn't even get a second look from the maitre d', so apparently he had been reading Vogue lately!

I have to respectfully and reluctantly disagree with Pam and Toto, two posters for whom I have immense respect. I do firmly believe in the dress code and the importance of following it, HOWEVER, I also think that Princess can be a bit behind the times. I think dressy Bermuda-length shorts are entirely appropriate for dinner on non-formal nights, when worn with a dressier top and the correct footwear. In my opinion, this is an entirely appropriate and fashion-forward look: I wore on the last night of my most recent cruise black tropical-weight wool Bermuda shorts, a black bracelet-sleeved wrap-style top and high-heeled strappy sandals. I was certainly not "underdressed" in comparison to those women wearing capris or -gulp- jeans. The problem is, of course, that just because shorts are Bermuda length does not make them appropriate evening attire -- it's all about the fabric and the cut, so I guess the code has to be more restrictive. However, I didn't even get a second look from the maitre d', so apparently he had been reading Vogue lately!

I understand where you are coming from. On our last cruise, my embarkation outfit was a dressy pair of city length shorts and matching top. It easily could have been worn out to dinner in a nice restaurant. But, since I wanted to comply with the dress code, I changed into an airy tropical dress for dinner. It seems that if someone bends the code just a little, another will bend it even further until the code is broken. A dressy shorts outfit will turn into a pair of frayed jeans shorts and a t-shirt. I just don't want to see that happen. Beside, I love to dress up.:D

I understand where you are coming from. On our last cruise, my embarkation outfit was a dressy pair of city length shorts and matching top. It easily could have been worn out to dinner in a nice restaurant. But, since I wanted to comply with the dress code, I changed into an airy tropical dress for dinner. It seems that if someone bends the code just a little, another will bend it even further until the code is broken. A dressy shorts outfit will turn into a pair of frayed jeans shorts and a t-shirt. I just don't want to see that happen. Beside, I love to dress up.:D

You are so right, that's why after I saw "NO SHORTS" posted outside the dining room I chose not to let my son wear his shorts. Mind you he looked more dressed up than most men & boys, but NO SHORTS means NO SHORTS. The sign didn't say we SUGGEST no shorts, it clearly said NO SHORTS!

Thank you all so much for your input. I just wanted to get an idea of what I'm going to have to pack for the kids. My daughter does love to dress up so it will not be a problem, but I was mainly concerned about the non-formal nights and what I am going to have to pack for them and what is acceptable. I certainly don't expect any special treatment because they are kids, just wondering if they were a little more lenient, that's all. We are not leaving for quite a few months, but will need to start thinking about it soon. Thanks again.

Archived