Cruising while Pregnant

newyork cruiser

Hi everyone,

I've been looking for advice on cruising while pregnant and thought this might be a good place to post. I know I will need to avoid any activity where I might get hurt. We are looking for a mostly relaxing trip, beach time, etc. Any suggestions for good excursions to do while pregnant? We are going to St. Thomas, St. Marten, San Juan, and Bermuda. I'm going to talk to my OB about specific limitations at my appt today.

And my BIG question - I'll be 19 weeks pregnant for the cruise. As of now (13+ weeks), I can comfortably wear all of my ordinary clothes. I'm worried that I will get on the ship and nothing will fit. I tried to buy a maternity bathing suit online, but it is HUGE! Any advice on how to make sure I don't need a shopping spree in our first port?

Thanks, Rachel

I think you'll know a week or so before your cruise if your clothes will fit. LOL, you're not going to all of a sudden super expand the minute you step on the ship ;) . You might want to invest in a couple of things like elastic waist pants/shorts that will expand a bit to your size. Also, pick up a couple of those tunics that are hugely popular right now---you don't have to worry about size in those things and there are some out that are soooo cute. Also, wear your tightest clothes on the first few days/nights of the cruise so if you gain some weight from all the great food, you won't have a problem with things that don't zip. BTW, congrats on your pregnancy.

I cruised when I was 23 weeks and had a great time. We did relaxing stuff like beach tours & rented umbrellas & lounges to keep me out of the sun.

I bought a really cute tankini bathing suit at Target - you wouldn't have even known it was maternity. I would wait to buy clothes for your cruise until about a week bf so u'll know your size. Bring a hat to protect your head. And bring comfortable walking shoes.

Just Enjoy - I did!!

I would also plan to take very comfy shoes and TONS of water. Maybe even pack a box of bottled water in your suitcase. I know that I was able to combat swelling until 34 weeks, just from drinking so much water. Since you will probably be eating differently than normal (more salt, fatty foods) and doing alot of walking....you will want to do anything that will help avoide swelling.

Also, be very careful about sun exposure. Normally, I love laying out in the sun to get a good tan. However, pregnancy does funny things to your skin and I have discoloration that I am pretty sure was a result of being in the sun while pregnant (as it was never there before)

Also, discuss with your doctor what is safe/not safe as far as motion sickness meds. (maybe the bands) I felt pretty well in the second trimester anytime I took a long car ride, I would get sick. I would assume I would have done the same on a boat. Just have something on hand just in case.

I cruised when I was 16 weeks pregnant last year. I wasn't "showing" very much but none of my clothes fit. I bought a couple of maternity shorts and capris for the trip and wore a tankini which I could still get on.

I had a formal dress that was empire waisted. I didn't mind buying some maternity clothes, as I knew that I would need them for when the weather got warmer. I also bought a few tops at Gap that didn't look too "maternity". I was in the feeling fat, don't look pregnant stage, but I still had a great time! FYI, some cruise lines require that you provide a letter from your OB stating how many weeks pg you are during your cruise. I think RCCL does not alow travel after 26 weeks. If you are showing, you may want to have a letter just in case. You wouldn't want to have any confrontation at the cruise terminal. No one asked me but you never know! Good luck!

I cruised when I was 20 weeks pregnant, some of the things that stand out in my mind are:

I swelled horribly on the ship... because of the salt in the food and being in the sun so much everything felt on my body felt bigger and all my clothes an jewlery felt tighter... so my best advice is pack loose clothes,

Also, because my diet changed so drastically (and OK I had NO self control) I felt bloated and more gassey than usualy... my poor husband:o

One of the things that did seem to grow over night were my breast's... you probably should invest in a comfortable 18 hour bra vs. something with underwire that feels very restaining.

My pregnance was a little unusal because I was considered high risk due to my stomach stappling I had a few years prior... I would suggest when it comes to ports have them be as low key as possible and try not to pay for something ahead of time that is really expansive. You may or may not be up to something then that you could totally do now.

My best advice is to enjoy this adults only cruise now, because in a couple of months alot is going to change (in my humble openion in a WONDERFUL way) but still enjoy the ME time;)

I cruised at 18 weeks and I wore some looser regular clothes and some maternity clothes (I think I was just more excited to wear them)! I wore a tankini as well, it fit perfect. I know Target has some maternity ones that look great even when you just start to show.

I didnt have any problems onboard. My OB told me to drink more water and apply more sunscreen since pregnancy hormones make you more suseptible to sunburn. He gave me a prescription for zofran just in case I got sea sick but never had to use it. I also wore the bands.

Enjoy yourself and have fun. I missed not being able to enjoy a cocktail but it was still a great cruise.

Julie

I cruised at 15 weeks and had a friend warn me about her trip to Disney world a few months before. They had gone at about 15-16 weeks and she had packed a week before they left. Well, she got there and nothing fit anymore. Truly, some people do find that happens over night if the clothes they wear anyway aren't very forgiving. Anyway, this friend warned me b/c she had to go shopping for the whole week's wardrobe.

So I packed forgiving clothes. Elastic in the waist, Empire waisted formal dress, etc. I tried it all on before we went. And I still had one (non-empire waist) dress not fit. So I wore the another dress twice to dinner. Nobody cared.

I drank lots of water and still blew up from all the salt. I've seen on these boards talk that the desalinated water they have on the ships isn't completely desalinated. Bottled water might be a good suggestion for that reason.

I also napped every afternoon (honestly, I slept away the whole first trimester until 18 weeks -- it was that instead of nausea). Keep to one excursion per day to not overdo it. Just relax and enjoy!

Our very first cruise was whn I was 6 weeks pregnant. The only thing this brought into play was my activities. Many excursions we were interested in would not allow you to book them if you were under so many weeks or over so many weeks. Of course that was 16 years ago. lol

As far as clothes do you have larger maternity clothes? If not try a consignment shop for a few things or even a friend who has been pregnant recently might would share something a bit special with you. Certain dressy clothes you might never wear again so do not discount a good classy consignment store.

Archived