Hawaii Cruise Idea

JAVERZ

Had a thought recently that it might be nice to cruise to Hawaii from the west coast -- but after you cruise around the islands you have the opportunity to get off the ship at one of the ports, spend a week there, and then hop on the next cruise ship for the return cruise to the west coast. I haven't done the 15 day Hawaii cruise, but it seems that 10 out of 15 days at sea might be a bit much. I wonder if any of the cruise lines have considered this type of trip. :rolleyes:

Read the next thread entitled PVSA update--what you propose is a violation of this act (transportation between two US ports by a non-US flagged ship without a stop in a distant foreign port) and is thus illegal. But I am sure many cruise lines have thought of the idea...;)

Probably a logistical nightmare for the cruiselines...NCL did try embarking and debarking at two different ports, but discontinued it very quickly. Also the Jones Act would most likely come into play that will not allow what you are proposing....

Oh well ... it was fun thinking about it anyway! Thanks for your input.

irregardless of the PVSA/Jones Act think of scheduling it would take as the cruise lines like full ships, so they would have to balance the number getting off in Hawaii with the number getting back on. I can't imagine a whole ship load would book a cruise where they HAD to get off and spend a week on land (Have you checked Hawaii prices lately)

Had a thought recently that it might be nice to cruise to Hawaii from the west coast -- but after you cruise around the islands you have the opportunity to get off the ship at one of the ports, spend a week there, and then hop on the next cruise ship for the return cruise to the west coast. I haven't done the 15 day Hawaii cruise, but it seems that 10 out of 15 days at sea might be a bit much. I wonder if any of the cruise lines have considered this type of trip. :rolleyes:

I just came back from the 15 day Hawaii Cruise (Princess) and OMG the 10 sea days were the best part! In speaking to many many people on board, I was shocked to hear so many complain about the number of days at sea. I mean, did they not read the itinerary or what? :rolleyes: Not directing this specifically to you, NevadaGal, but dang folks, if you don't like sea-days then don't pick a 15 day Hawaii cruise with 10 sea days! LOL. We'd previously done a 12 day Mediterranean cruise that had 10 ports in 12 days. All I can say is NEVER AGAIN! I came back virtually exhausted and needing another vacation to recover before I went back to work. Sure folks can say "well, ya don't have to get off and do something in every port" but how can ya NOT when you're in exciting places such as Ephesus, Venice, Santorini, Athens, Mykonos, Sorrento etc. :D

Carnival has one way itineraries...inculding one that starts with a 7 day cruise around the islands and then ends with 4 sea days back to the west coast (and of course, the reverse option). You could easily combine one of these with a stay on any of the islands.

We cruised on the POAM with NCLA and enjoyed it, but also stayed for 4 nights at a resort for our "relaxation" time.

Archived