Which Cruise Line...

CRUISER2B

I am hoping that someone can help me. I have a 17yo (6'+) as well as an 11yo - both boys. I need to find a cruise line that offers an adjoining cabin at a reduced rate.

I am trying to book a family/friends cruise. My sister has the same problem as I do. I don't want to break the bank.

I would look into an inside cabin as a last resort.

My son and nephew each need a twin bed.

Does anyone know if the cabins listed as "family cabins" have a sofabed as well as bunk??

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. It would help narrow my search.

Thank you.

We had a family oceanview on RCCL's Navigator of the Seas. It had bunkbeds in an alcove, a sofabed and the usual 2 twin/queen beds. Dd, aged 8 and ds aged 11 LOVED the bunkbeds. Each had space and privacy - even when both were in their own bunk, they weren't in each other's space. They got along really well that cruise. There was a curtain for the alcove, and a full curtain between the sofa bed and the regular beds. Plenty of privacy for all. The downside is that the minimum number of people to book this cabin is 5. I was able to get it with 3 people about 10 days prior to sailing.

I just had connecting D1 balconies on another RCCL ship. No discount for me. With one adult and 3 children, we paid 4 full fares. At the time, it was still cheaper than a suite, but after experiencing trying to keep track of everyone's stuff, I wish I'd gone for the suite.

Thanks for the tips. I knew this was the place to ask.

My only concern is for my 17 yr old who wiull be 18 or 19 at the time of the cruise. I am concerned that the bunks may be too small for him. He is 6'1" now. I was thinking that he may need his own twin size bed.

I was talking to my sister. I was thinking maybe we could get cabins next to each other and get an inside cabin for the boys. Her son will be 17 or 18 at the time of the cruise. I am aware of there may be an age requirement for booking the room (21??) but we can work around it.

Based on your comments, It appears that RCCL or Carnival will be the best options. I need to make sure that there is plenty of entertainment on board for various age groups. It appears that we may have to sail out of the NYC/NJ area. Worst case scenerio would be Baltimore. This would be 2 days at sea for any Carribbean cruise at the start and end.

Ahhh...No rest for the weary (planner)!!!!

Thanks again.

It looks like RCCL's Freedom ships will have plenty of activities for all age groups.

Now the dilemna?? I have never cruised RCCL and don't know anyone that has. I don't know if the western/eastern cruises will be better. I have only been to Key West and Cozumel. Kids loved both.

Anyone who can help me narrow down the choices, I would love to hear from. Is this ship really feel crowded, etc? This is what I found so far:

Freedom of the Sea/Liberty of the Sea

7n Western- Miami/Labadee/Ocho Rios/Grand Cayman/Cozumel/Miami

Freedom of the Sea

7n Eastern- Miami/San Juan/St Maartan/St Thomas/Miami

Liberty of the Sea

7n Eastern- Miami/San Juan/St Maartan/Labadee/Miami

Independence of the Sea

8n Eastern-

Ft Lauderdale/San Juan/St Thomas/St Maartan/Labadee/Ft Lauderdale

Thank you for any help!!

We much prefer the RCI ships to Carnival, but our kids loved Carnival, and if you are concerned with cost, you ought to price compare. You were asking about adjoining at a reduced rate, so that's why I mention it. We booked an inside and balcony on LOS, but switching to a Carnival ship would save at least $1000 for our party of 5 (2 cabins). We're probably making the switch and saving RCI for when it's just the 2 of us and we have an early booking discount.

Either itinerary is good, really. What you need to determine is if you are wanting to beach it, do island tours, snorkel, scuba, shop, see historical sites, or whatever. Then it's easier to decide which itinerary you'd like the best.

It looks like RCCL's Freedom ships will have plenty of activities for all age groups.

Now the dilemna?? I have never cruised RCCL and don't know anyone that has. I don't know if the western/eastern cruises will be better. I have only been to Key West and Cozumel. Kids loved both.

Anyone who can help me narrow down the choices, I would love to hear from. Is this ship really feel crowded, etc? This is what I found so far:

Freedom of the Sea/Liberty of the Sea

7n Western- Miami/Labadee/Ocho Rios/Grand Cayman/Cozumel/Miami

Freedom of the Sea

7n Eastern- Miami/San Juan/St Maartan/St Thomas/Miami

Liberty of the Sea

7n Eastern- Miami/San Juan/St Maartan/Labadee/Miami

Independence of the Sea

8n Eastern-

Ft Lauderdale/San Juan/St Thomas/St Maartan/Labadee/Ft Lauderdale

Thank you for any help!!

Well all of the Freedom ships are basically the same. Independence hasn't even hit the water yet so if you want to be on the newest of the Freedom class, then Independence would be the one.

Personally I like Eastern, but it's because I have young kids that don't meet the minimum age requirements on most of the Western excursions.

On the RCCL site (www.rccl.com) click on Shore Excursions and see what there is to do at each port. If you find more things you are interested in on the Western, then choose that. If your kids are into more adventurous type activities, then Western is the way to go (tree top canopy ziplining, climbing waterfalls, swimming with stingrays, river tubing, white water rafting..all Western)

The Eastern has better beaches (St. Martin and St.Thomas has beautiful beaches) And they have a totally different vibe. More laid back. Not in your face like some of the Western ports.

And as far as crowd, the only times I noticed crowd is on the first and last day in the Windjammer (buffet dining area) and during embarkation/debarkation. Because everyone was there. While on the ship, it is so huge that the crowd is dispersed, better than on smaller ships where I truly have felt crowded.

Thanks for th einformation.

Travelitis...

You are correct about cost. This is why 2010 may be better than crusing in 2009. Also, It may be more than my immediate family going, so I will need time to coordinate. Then again, if everyone wants to go sooner, we will accomodate. I was looking into the promenade rooms rather than an oceanview. Hubby can't handle inside rooms-too confining w/o any window.

Cruisinmama...

I am not a beach person but will go with the flow. I perfer "seeing" the country I am in rather than sitting at a beach. I live on Long Island, so beaches are all arround me. Yes, I know that they can be more beautiful but once is enough for me. My family likes anything that keeps them busy. I will take your advice and check out the excursions available for each port. I think you are correct-it will be a deciding factor.

Again, thanks for all the help.

Archived