Do I need 1 car seat or 3?

OregonGirlie

Argh. This is so confusing.

At home, I'm a car seat safety nut. Kids are all in Britax Marathons. Kiara is almost 2 and still rear facing. However, as we are hoping to disembark ourselves - we have to carry ALL our stuff with 3 kids. I'm not bringing the Britax seats.

I'm looking to get one of those portable eddie bauer car sears. Kiara is 20-something pounds. I have no idea actually - like 24? She obviously needs one of those, and crappy enough - she'd be front facing in that for our trip from MCO airport to Port Canaveral and from Port Canaveral to WDW (we'll take their Bus from WDW to airport - no seats allowed). If we do use any taxis in the Caribbean we'll have her seat as well.

My issue is my boys. Like I said they're both in their Britax seats (they hold up to 65 pounds and are far safer, so why not?!). They're both about 40.5 and 41 pounds. The FL law states children up to 40 pounds must be in a front facing seat. I can't find anything about kids over 40 pounds and requirements.

I know it's safer for the 2 45 minute journeys for them to be in a car seat. I don't mean to put my kids welfare below my pocketbook (and I know this will not sound the way I mean it to), but these seats are like $50 and this will be the only time we'll use them. Should I be buying them? Do the seats even work for kids over 40 pounds (by a hair or two LOL)? I know I need to buy one, do I need to buy 3? The shuttle company doesn't have car seats as an option to rent/borrow. We don't want to rent a car since it adds more 'stops' on the trip which is already difficult enough with 3 tiny kiddos.

I know a booster is a cheap option, not very compact like the portable ones though, and I'll already be carrying Kiara, bags and holding kiddos hands - so I'm not sure how to carry these seats around?!

On the airline they already have those FAA harrnesses, and Kiki will be on my lap (likely nursing most of the flight - poor ears). So we'd have to check the boossters if we went that route somehow.

Argh, what a pain to travel with all this extra stuff. I just wanna bring my swimsuit, sunscreen, towel & kiddos. :) But this is important to figure out...

I keep reading car seat threads on here, but not much about heavier kids...mostly toddlers.

According to the FL Department of Transportation, children up to the age of 4 must be in a car seat. For children ages 4-8 and up to 4' 9", it's recommended that they be in some form of car seat or booster seat, but it's not required. Sorry, I can't get a link to work.

I used the Eddie Bauer with my 2 year old a couple of weeks ago. He's right about the size limit for this travel car seat. He's 32 months and about 32 pounds. It sounds like it would be too small for your 41 pounders.

Booster seats and car seats can be checked as luggage at the airport. If it were me, I would just bring my own and check them. I do have a car seat that I purchased for regular travel when we're in a car. It's lighter weight than the behemoth that seems to be permanently installed in my minivan.

No don't get 3 Eddie Bauer's, that's for sure.

We take this one for our older child who is heavier than 40lbs. Then we use this as an extra seat for Grandma's car and friend's cars cause it's so portable.

It's the back Turbo Booster - $24.99 at Babies/Toys R Us

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2861773

My oldest daughter is 8 years old and can STILL use this thing.

No don't get 3 Eddie Bauer's, that's for sure.

We take this one for our older child who is heavier than 40lbs. Then we use this as an extra seat for Grandma's car and friend's cars cause it's so portable.

It's the back Turbo Booster - $24.99 at Babies/Toys R Us

http://www.toysrus.com/product/index.jsp?productId=2861773

My oldest daughter is 8 years old and can STILL use this thing.

I also use the backless Turbo Booster for my 7 yr old. Walmart has them for less - $18.92, that's where I got mine.

Yep - the Turbo backless booster (Graco) is a great solution. It's perfect for 40+ pounds or more. Also, there is a belt attached to the back of the booster that hooks onto the seatbelt. This attachment allows you to adjust the seatbelt height to your child - simple and easy to use. Good luck!!

Awesome thanks!

I bought the portable one for Kiki today on Babyage (not too shabby a deal, as long as it arrives in time LOL). Thanks for the price tip!

Also, while we were getting T-ball socks today at Kmart, I checked to see if they had the boosters you all recommended. They did for $16.19! :) So we got 2, one is camo and the other has Diego on it. The boys were happy to pick their own prints (they both picked out the Cowmooflage prints on their Britax seats years back LOL).

I've never shopped for boosters before, always went with the Britax big safe ones, so I'm glad you ladies were here to help with a temporary solution, at little cost! :) Thanks so much. :D

Once a child is over one year old, or 20 pounds they are supposed to be forward facing right?

When my two little ones cruised when they were 7 months and 1, we brought our Britax Marathon car seat with us on the cruise and to the ports because we rented a van. It was a pain! Those things were heavy!!!

This time around they will be 6 and although they still ride in their Britax, we will be bringing the little booster seats for them on the islands.

Once a child is over one year old, or 20 pounds they are supposed to be forward facing right?

Not quite. The MINIMUM age AND weight to turn forward facing is 20 pounds AND one year old - BOTH requirements must be fulfilled in order to foward face. However, it is safest to keep your child rear facing for as long as your car seat will rear face - Britax can rear face until 30+ pounds. If you watch the following video, then you will see the MAJOR difference in safety between forward and rear facing. http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

So many parents do not realize the safety of rear facing and are excited to turn the seat around as soon as possible. Trust me, if you don't turn the seat around, your child will not know any differently. Please feel free to pass along the link to help educate parents and minimize the risk of serious injury or death. Hope this helps!

Not quite. The MINIMUM age AND weight to turn forward facing is 20 pounds AND one year old - BOTH requirements must be fulfilled in order to foward face. However, it is safest to keep your child rear facing for as long as your car seat will rear face - Britax can rear face until 30+ pounds. If you watch the following video, then you will see the MAJOR difference in safety between forward and rear facing. http://www.cpsafety.com/articles/stayrearfacing.aspx

So many parents do not realize the safety of rear facing and are excited to turn the seat around as soon as possible. Trust me, if you don't turn the seat around, your child will not know any differently. Please feel free to pass along the link to help educate parents and minimize the risk of serious injury or death. Hope this helps!

I didn't know that they could rear face that long, as long as they are in a proper car seat though. I see lots of kids as a babysitter in infant car seats that are way too small for them still rear facing.

I will pass on the info, just as I try to pass on the info on booster seats most people aren't aware of, thanks!

Archived