registraring your valuables

smileydd

in my package they mention registraring you valuables with customs is anyone familar with this?:p

I do not want them to take my diamonds

You can research Customs Know Before You Go at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/vacation/kbyg/.

One may register only that which has serial numbers or clearly identified unique markings ... I suppose that might include some type of engraving like "love to my one and only dufus". For jewelry, it might be a good idea to have either the original receipt or a professional appraisal if your goods are fairly new, pricey, and appear to be something one would buy on a cruise vacation.

We have never registered anything, tho we plan to do so this year, as we just purchased a new digital 12-megapix camera and a couple of pricey watches.

They won't take your stuff ... they'll just assess duty if they believe you bought the stuff on your current trip and are not declaring the items for customs/duty purposes. Suggest you put your jewelry in your carryon, don't flauant it, don't draw attention to yourself by being nervous or whatever. I'm sure the Customs people are very good at reading body language.

HERE IS A LINK to a CBP 4457 pdf that you can fill out and then print, to be certified by Customs someplace ... either at your home airport, or at your departure pier.

We don't register anything. The most valuable thing we ever take on a cruise is our laptop computer, and for that we just bring the shipping documents as proof-of-purchase.

HERE IS A LINK to a CBP 4457 pdf that you can fill out and then print, to be certified by Customs someplace ... either at your home airport, or at your departure pier.

I was not aware this could be done at the pier ... I thought one would register stuff at the CBP at an international airport, not necessarily one's home port. There would need to be a CBP office at the airport.

The registration is not a requirement. It is simply a way for you to prove you had the item before you departed. You can register items anywhere you can find a Customs Officer, home port, airport, seaport, or even a Customs office. Most large cities have at least one of the above. If you have receipts or some other proof of purchase you don't need to register an item. Remember, we're talking about Foreign Made here, not U. S. made. The goal here is to convince the Customs Officer that you did not buy the item abroad. If you can do that with a great smile :) and a convincing persona you don't need to register.

Remember, we're talking about Foreign Made here, not U. S. made. The goal here is to convince the Customs Officer that you did not buy the item abroad.

Isn't that (foreign-made) almost anything and everything marketed here in the U.S.?;) And, if it's American-made and by some miracle sold and bought overseas ... guessing duty would apply if you brought it home with you and couldn't prove you took it with in the first place. Just having fun here:p

Archived