suggestions for Ensenada?

Nice review of Ensenada, Suzi. Thoughtful, and very well written. It's not a great, port, but it's a nice stop on a cruise. We think about Ensenada along the same lines, I will have to try the pepto-bismol suggestion. Thanks for sharing it ( the review, not the other).

When you gat to Ensenada RUN------RUN as fast as you can to get on the ship.........This is not a place that I would recommend for sightseeing. Its not a safe place and I would be afraid to take my family out on the streets. The ride from the airport is about all the sights you will want to see. THe ocean view is breathtaking but the burned out cars over the sides of the cliffs and the scenery once you get over the border is scary......RUN as fast as you can and enjoy the day on the ship.......

The tourist areas where most cruise passengers venture is very safe - not too impressive, but NOT dangerous in the shopping areas were most people go. Although NOT my favorite port of call, it's definitely worth checking out once.

There are some very depressed areas in and around Ensenada, as there are anywhere in Mexico. The main shopping area where someone off a cruise in Ensenada for the day would go, is NOT the place where the locals hang out. Ensenada is a very large city with a busy shipping port, and yes, you'll find some slums and a few very affluent areas. There are huge cultural differences in the way people live in Mexico, and I can see where someone from the US new to Mexico would find some of what you see around Ensenada disturbing. But that's Mexico.

If you stay in the tourist areas, you'll be fine. And if you remain on the ship, that's okay too. You'll find a lot of people with stong opinions about Ensenada. I would recommend you make up your own mind - go off the ship and check it out. At least you will know first hand what the place is like. Although the next time we go there, we too will most likely remain on the ship, at least I know what it's like there.

Good luck!

Most people cruising just don't understand the area of Ensenada. It is a small town which is trying desperately to revitalize itself. The people are VERY PROUD of their town and it is not unsafe. If you think it is bad now, you should have seen it 15 to 20 years ago! We visit there often; we take a car down there and enjoy the people and the town. Obviously, it pays to be vigilant, just like anywhere else you travel that you are unfamiliar with the location.

As for "running" back to the ship. Shear rubbish! Enjoy Ensenada. It IS different, it is struggling economically, but the ship's tours are well done, and you would be missing an opportunity if you stayed on the ship. This is MHO! :D

How far is the ship from the town? Can you walk off the ship to shopping?

Thanks everyone for your replies!

Yes, you can walk---had 72 year old Mom with my 2 sisters in March.........not a port I would reschedule by any means..........unless you like to shop---same thing--different price--different store........the one good thing---we did get some prescription diet pills--------my sister knows them all-----and the one month supply--I lost 10 lbs and kept it off.........It was Phentermine---the phen part of Fen-Phen.......by the way--my Dr would not prescribe it...said absolutely not....but---I am one to live "a bit out there"

Most people cruising just don't understand the area of Ensenada. It is a small town which is trying desperately to revitalize itself. The people are VERY PROUD of their town and it is not unsafe. If you think it is bad now, you should have seen it 15 to 20 years ago! We visit there often; we take a car down there and enjoy the people and the town. Obviously, it pays to be vigilant, just like anywhere else you travel that you are unfamiliar with the location.

As for "running" back to the ship. Shear rubbish! Enjoy Ensenada. It IS different, it is struggling economically, but the ship's tours are well done, and you would be missing an opportunity if you stayed on the ship. This is MHO! :D

I did not feel unsafe---however---I was very disturbed by the children walking around selling everything you can imagine. I really broke my heart--to see these kids--walking around with heavy clothing---selling necklaces--you name it. In all the ports I have been to---this one---never again.......MHO

When we were in Ensenada the local guie told uses not to buy anything from the small kids. The parents keep them out of school to sell the stuff, instead of working themselves and the kids do not get educated and then pass this lifestyle on to their kids. If the parents would let them go to school, they would all be better off.:)

I travel to Mexico at least once per month and work only a few miles from the border. I have found it no less safe than any "unknown" town in the U.S. Use common sense, don't flash a lot of cash, and be smart. For instance, I wouldn't go about taking pictures in a NY subway to identify yourself as a tourist as "tourists" are likely to be victims of crime more so than the locals. Use a little common sense and you'll be fine.

Ensenada is NOT a small town - it is one of the largest, if not THE largest city in Baja. Despite what many people see, Ensenada is quite properous, with suburban areas. It is a major shipping port and tourism is NOT the only industry there. When you come to Ensenada on a cruise, you see a very small portion of the city. Yes, back in the 1970's it was a relatavely small fishing village, but since then, the Mexican government has established Ensenada as a major industrial and shipping port and it supports an emerging middle class. There is a large population of retired Americans there as well. Yes, you'll see a lot of what you might equate with poverty there. But you have to remember that Mexico's standard of living is not like ours.

There are department stores, large supermarkets, and a financial district. But as a tourist, you don't see those areas, as the tourist area is concentrated close to the port. Would I go out of my way to vacation there (lots of people do, you know)? No. But the Ensenada you see while on a cruise is both safe and can be enjoyable. Like any foreign country, you have to use common sense; I wouldn't recommend venturing off the beaten path at night and please do not buy anything from kids. But short of that, it's worth checking out at least once.

Ensenada is NOT a small town - it is one of the largest, if not THE largest city in Baja. . .

Good points, Sailfish.

If memory serves, Ensenada is the third largest town in Baja California, preceded in size by Mexicali and Tijuana.

Archived